Air box Question

Guest Thundering Subash

Guest Thundering Subash

I've got a K&N filter, want to increase air intake further, and don't think I can buy just the FBF trim piece, and am not fully committed to cutting up or drilling the air box lid.

Is it wise to run a lidless air box without a trim ring or some other mechanism to hold the filter down? While the FBF kit with trim ring looks nice, who sees it under the gas tank anyway.

My other thought, if necessary, it to fab something like a narrow piece of metal bent at each end with holes where the original lid bolts go through to hold the filter down.

Any experience or thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

:huh2:

:mg:

-Chris

I think that in practice, you are probably safe with your assumption that some fabricated tabs, in combination with the air "suck" will hold the filter down well enough... although don't quote me on that :P

But, you can indeed buy just the ring from FBF. I did so a couple years back, and it is pretty cheap, like $30 or something. You just have to call them and ask for the piece specifically.

Or, you can troll around for someone's take-off airbox lid that you could cut down. I see them on eBay every so often, or just ask around here if someone has a salvage one they'll give or sell you cheap.

al

I've got a K&N filter, want to increase air intake further, and don't think I can buy

just the FBF trim piece, and am not fully committed to cutting up or drilling the air box lid.

My airbox is custom cut from Dynotec and actually this is a modification I can safelly recommend (since Dynotec does...LOL) There are 2 paralellogram holes over the top of the box. one inch distance from each other about 2x4cm each.

Any available pics of the FBF thing?

Any experience or thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

:huh2:

:mg:

-Chris

48064[/snapback]

A couple of months back I bought an extra stock lid from fellow member J.Bee. I cut off the snorkles close to where they meet the "body" of the lid and cut an oblong slot on each side for plenty of air flow. I left the top untouched. A couple people have commented that they have had the under tank foil insulation drop down and plug up the filter, so I left the top as is to avoid that.

if you want it free, take a piece of wood, cut the filter size in it, 2 holes for schrews and you are ready. Wood 18mm thick. I don't know how you call it, the wood with 6 layers, plywood??

It is called lamminated wood , but if the width is thin then this wood is not going to hold. In case of wood , better make a custom frame of solid wood pieces (bars)joined-re-enforced on the corners with metal corner plates.But then again wood is not long lasting enough in such small dimensions when exposed to moisture,ect,ect.

(i.e. if it is not joined-glued at the whole lengths, can loose shape)

P.S> Paul pls check out my question here:

Question on V11 Engine topic

GuzziConversionkit_500.jpg

You're probably a better machinist than I am but I figured for $79 I'd just buy the FBF model and have it done. That way I'd save the $200 of my time building one myself because I'd probably have to do a lot of trial and error! :homer:

One perk not aready mentioned about the open airbox is that it sounds really awesome with that air roaring through it when the throttle is cranked open!

-Mike

Guest ratchethack

Just one man's opinion: I made up an aluminum frame with riveted-on angle-brackets that looks a lot like this (above), cost nothing (I used leftover aluminum scrap from my home shop) and tried it out. I'm running a Stucchi X-over and FBF oval carbons.

Prior to going open airbox, I considered the sound level acceptable (read, SOUNDS GREAT - just below annoyance sound-pressure threshold at WOT), and "Todd's map library #003" PC III map worked very well with the standard airbox. With the open airbox, I found the intake roar intolerable at anything over about 1/2 throttle. Without question, I would have had to remap, as it was leaning out on quick, heavy throttle. I went back to the airbox in the interest of continued riding sans earplugs... :bike:

At some point I'll experiment with "lidless" again using sound-deadening material lining the tank tunnel to see if this knocks the db down to reasonable level. Will advise.

Ratchethack