Those rear wheel bearings

belfastguzzi

Guest Brian Robson
I remember someone here I think talked of making a simple tool to get wheel bearings out, it sounded like a good idea but I forget the details, who, where & what...?

I'm here now if you wanna chat or I'm in all day tomorrow.

Best, KB :sun:

48468[/snapback]

That was me I think. get a piece of pipe the same internal diameter as the bearing and cut a thin slot about 2-3 inches deep transversely at one end. Spread the two pieces a little. Insert the untouched end through the bearing and wait until the slightly flared end goes inside the bearing and then respreads the edges. Hit like crap on the other end and the bearing is pushed out.

I lost the tool, it looks like a piece of waste pipe, but I'll post pictures when I make another one tomorrow :bier:

...That was me I think....etc

That was it Brian. Sounds like a good idea.

(No offence...but...Did you catch the Newcastle game couple of weeks back..? :wacko: I was in the pub that evening with a Sunderland fan - never seen him so happy!)

KB :sun:

Guest Brian Robson
That was it Brian. Sounds like a good idea.

I was in the pub that evening with a Sunderland fan - never seen him so happy!)

KB :sun:

48532[/snapback]

Defies logic...1. That they have fans and 2. that anyone would admit to being such a person.

Yeah, I saw the game, and was I the only one who thought "whats the big deal?"

Dyers a wanker, wouldn't chase for the ball, and was smacked a couple of times by Bowyer. I know which one I'd have on my team.

Its hard for me to come from a point of morality, as the same thing happened to me last season....twice!

Newcastle for the Cup!!

"What does the bearing spacer you have measure?

KB "

You're right KB. It measures 1mm too short.

I don't have such a thing as a 1mm thick washer (that's also wide enough). So I have cut one from a 1mm steel sheet.

I've just put the bearing in. Everything is a tight fit now between the bearings.

Well done with the advice. Hopefully the bearing will last more than a thousand miles or so, this time. Needle roller next, but I've had to come as Moto GP just about to start. There they go – Gibernau is away........

• 1 month later...

During recent rear tire change I just had the left (brake) side bearing replaced for the second time as it felt a little rough (~47,000 km, first replaced at ~14,000) and took the opportunity to check other bearings / spacer at the same time.

Bearing wise the bevel box outer (right side) also needed replacing - others ok.

The stock spacer measured 112.55 mm and the space itself between 112.6 and 112.7 mm so I replaced the spacer with a new one which measured exactly 113.2 mm (as reported by Baldini).

So in conclusion, my spacer was 0.65mm short.

Gio