I must be high!

RichMaund

I must be freak'n high. Seriously. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by

now about rescuing "barn fresh" bikes. But I went ahead and did it anyway.

I've been thinking about another two wheeler since Donna can't stand

sidecars. I wanted something I could easily handle even on a bad leg day.

And one of my favorite Guzzi's of all time was the SP1000. A local guy

called me last week. Found me by asking for Guzzi folks at local bike shops.

He has a 1979 SP1000 he wants to sell. Parked for 20 years! But he's the

original owner. 52k miles. Bike died due to electrical problems. Switchgear

and bad coils from the sounds of things. One thing led to another and it's

been parked ever since. A rat took up residence in the battery tray. So the

old girl needed a couple hours of pressure washing to cure the hanta virus

problem. Engine is locked up. I'll work on that first. But the fuel system

was stored dry so the tank and carbs aren't too bad. This one had the flat

black frame and flat blue bodywork. So there is very light patina of surface

rust all over it. It'll be a frame up restoration. But the bike is a good

candidate for it once I investigate the top end further. I didn't have to

pay much for it, but I did get what I paid for! LOL!

There is something in me that can't resist rescuing an old bike. Especially

one I want to fulfill a current need.

On the good side, I am no longer "between Guzzi's".

On the bad side, this is my 13th Goose! Lucky bike? ;-)

Wish me luck. I know how I'll be spending my nights this summer!

Paul

That's the same early model I just got. It was their use of flat black paint that lead to all the rust. Really cheap finish. Even the headlamp is all lightly fuzzed with rust! Good thing I have a blast cabinet!

Yours looks great with the Krausers!

I'll make my own rack and passenger backpad for mine and add some Givi's later.

I consider the SP to be one of the best two up sport tourers ever made.

I restored a 1980 model back in '93. But I sold it as it was so similar to my Mille' GT. Then I got hit on the GT in '95 and my legs got crushed. I was walking a year later and really wishing for the SP back. But it was long gone, so I rebuilt the Mille' GT.

I'm getting older now and so are these bikes. But this is the level of tech that enjoy in a motorcycle. I'll rebuild this one "my way". (A few improvements to the electrics and such.) Then I'll hang on to it and enjoy it. They're not making any more of them!

Great photo, by the way. Thanks for posting that! Good inspiration.

Jaap, I've got some pics. Just have to process them. But I have a big order to ship out today. I'll have to do it after that's done!

Rich,

Please restore it with the same flat black, no gloss!

The first version, wasn't a good 2 up tourer, they had a thin foam layer at the gily seat. Doesn't look this from the outside, but the wheelrounding is cut away on the inside. So as can be seen on the picture, an extra foam is added ontop. And the lm1/2 style silencers are only good for women with short legs, not my wife:-)

Both things were corrected in the NT version, with calli 2 silencers and a bigger seat, not so good looking.

A fine bike. My best friend had an SP for years...several of which he rode it without a clutch (don't ask). Great bikes, easy to work on, easy to ride and good ergonomics.

The cylinders should be steel lined, so you might be able to rescue them :huh2: Well, good luck on it.

J

Rich,

Please restore it with the same flat black, no gloss!

The first version, wasn't a good 2 up tourer, they had a thin foam layer at the gily seat. Doesn't look this from the outside, but the wheelrounding is cut away on the inside. So as can be seen on the picture, an extra foam is added ontop. And the lm1/2 style silencers are only good for women with short legs, not my wife:-)

Both things were corrected in the NT version, with calli 2 silencers and a bigger seat, not so good looking.

48384[/snapback]

I'll bet the seat is not an issue with Rich.

I'm afraid it won't be a "concours" restoration. I always try to improve things to my own tastes as I rebuild. It will get modern switchgear, dog leg levers, an electronic volt regulator, a better seat, FAC front dampers and Progressive suspension shocks, etc. I plan to make it a darker metallic blue as well.

Here's a photo of it on the trailer after we got home. Much of the bodywork had to removed to make sure nothing got lost in transit. But it is complete!

Here is one last photo of my son about to clean it all off. He has worked on these bikes with me all his life. He actually asked me to leave one for him and not to sell it once it's done! (He's still mad I sold a nice V50 Monza a few years back)

It cleaned up well and we'll begin the tear down later this week! I need to clear a workbench for it first.