03 LeMans vapor lock?

Diesel

So I go for out for a ride today.

It's sunny and in the upper 70's....the warmest weather the bike has seen since I got it last fall.

I decided to stop for lunch.

After lunch I go to leave and find the bike will not start without twisting the throttle.

Also that it wont run without holding the throttle open.

After riding a few minuets, it would idle on it's own.

On the way home I stopped by my parents.

When leaving I had the same problem, a minuet after being in motion...everything is fine.

Is this vapor lock?

My bike is an 03 with the fuel pump in the tank.

All the vapor lock search results I read pertained to earlier V11's with the external pump....no mention of this happening on an 03 or newer.

The fuel lines are not resting on a cylinder or anything like that.

The closest one is about 2" from the right cylinder.

The only thing I noticed is that the fuel tank was pressurized.....is it supposed to be?

I decided to remove the EVAP canister and I'll remove the tipover valve tomorrow.

Any other newer V11's experience this?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Clay

Guest Brian Robson

I think that you have asked, then answered your own question. Take off the cannister and the hoses and plug up the intake mainifold holes with a couple of hex head nuts and washers.

My 03 LeMans had the vapor emmison 1 way valve installed backwards from the Mfg. Do you have the dreaded "tank suck"? Once I pulled off all the smog crap the bike ran great. You're on the right track... go fer it. :2c:

Andy

Diesel,

The problem lies in the tip over valve under the fuel tank. My 03 Rosso had the same problems with the fuel tank pressure. Remove the evaporative emissions along with the black tipover valve and your problems should be cured.

Mike

Great! I was hoping that was it.

Do you have the dreaded "tank suck"?

Not that I'm aware of. Yesterday it was the opposite, tank pressurization.

Tip-over valve- yes. But I also removed the rubber seal under the gas cap and that's what fixed my bike. Sure, if your bike falls over you can spill a bit of gas out from the cap, but I figure you must have bigger problems if you're in that bucket.

J