Guzzichondriac?

Guest Nogbad

Looks like this weekend is out too. I am only home for one night then its back to site to supervise pipe welding.

49427[/snapback]

'The pipe wielding man swung at Natsumi, who pushed Miyuki to safety as

she agilely side stepped the blow. "We're police!" she cried out, then

she flashed her badge...'

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nogbad
'The pipe wielding man swung at Natsumi, who pushed Miyuki to safety as

she agilely side stepped the blow. "We're police!" she cried out, then

she flashed her badge...'

49435[/snapback]

:D

Guest aironepony

Once a suspicion of a pathological state has been mooted, non-invasive testing should be carried out, and/or time should be allowed for any symptoms to present themselves.

Actions or interventions taken without a firm foundation of diagnostic and/or symptomatic data carry the risk of creating new problems.............. Blah dee Blah dee blah etc........... :thumbsup:

Once a suspicion of a pathological state has been mooted, non-invasive testing should be carried out, and/or time should be allowed for any symptoms to present themselves.

Actions or interventions taken without a firm foundation of diagnostic and/or symptomatic data carry the risk of creating new problems.............. Blah dee Blah dee blah etc........... :thumbsup:

49551[/snapback]

:lol:

But invasive exploration is so much fun.

On the same theme: I've got an old Range Rover sitting at the side of the house, rotting away. Half the front end of the car is lying inside the back of the car. It all started when the windscreen wiper blade fell off in the rain one day. I took off a panel to make the repair, then thought I'd fix something else in there and...one thing led to another..you know how it is.

It looks a bit like that with the V.11 at the moment. I started to put on a new exhaust system, but got as far as installing the cross-over before I couldn't help myself and found the whole backend of the bike was in bits. Bodywork here, bearings there, shock-bolt somewhere else, brake parts, nuts, washers. Oh well – as long as they don't get mixed up with the Range Rover bits...

Guest bushpilot
Maybe I need a BMW.

48426[/snapback]

maybe you do...but from PERSONAL experiance I

cant say you will be w/out worries, repairs & breakdowns

owning one of them either.

and hey if you think THIS forum is bad go read the

gmc or ford DIESEL Truck forums...if those guys cant

give you a dose of $50k buyers remorse & worry

then NO ONE can.

you want reliablity & piece of mind...buy a naked jap

bike...<although ive managed to create "user induced"

reliablity issues there myself>...or stay home.

don r.'s law....if its mechanical it WILL wear & break.

Guest aironepony
:lol:

But invasive exploration is so much fun.

On the same theme: I've got an old Range Rover sitting at the side of the house, rotting away. Half the front end of the car is lying inside the back of the car. It all started when the windscreen wiper blade fell off in the rain one day. I took off a panel to make the repair, then thought I'd fix something else in there and...one thing led to another..you know how it is.

It looks a bit like that with the V.11 at the moment. I started to put on a new exhaust system, but got as far as installing the cross-over before I couldn't help myself and found the whole backend of the bike was in bits. Bodywork here, bearings there, shock-bolt somewhere else, brake parts, nuts, washers. Oh well – as long as they don't get mixed up with the Range Rover bits...

49554[/snapback]

If my memory serves me well, I think it might be VW that first decided to extend service intervals so as to avoid problems caused by human fingers......... :thumbsup:

Well, that was a real dog's dinner.

Lesson 1: I wish that I had just left the thing in and re-greased it.

I knocked out some of the needles but still couldn't get the bearing body to shift. All that happened was that the outside lip bent out. So I knocked out the big bearing on the other side, thinking that it would then be easy to knock the roller bearing out from behind. Took out the long spacer and hammered like crazy at the washer in behind the needle roller, trying to push the lot out. No movement at all. The only thing that happened was the washer got cupped. I was hitting so hard that I was worried about damaging the whole drive casing.

Lesson 2: now I know that the washer doesn't come out. It's captive in the housing. I'll have to settle for now having a mashed washer in there for good.

I eventually got the bearing body out by chipping, cutting, breaking. Really messy and it took a long time.

I put in a new bearing and a new inner sleeve, one without the little hole in it this time. The sleeve doesn't rotate easily. I hope that I haven't damaged the new needle roller when putting it in. I suppose that I'll have to get a new big bearing too, rather than put the other one back.

All in all, not a great success. :wacko:

I'd like to hear how others get this bearing out – and I'm sure Nogbad would too.

49022[/snapback]

I managed to get speaking on the phone to a very experienced MG technician in England. I wasn't actually talking about this bearing, but he happened to mention it and said that IT IS normally real torture to get out. He said that he has to take a dremel to it and it sounded like it's usually a real hack job.

• So, be warned. [Nogbad]

It may not always be so difficult. Paul made it sound easy (probably because he's skilled) and Big J had no problems (probably because he used a 10lb lump hammer).

Guest Nogbad
So Nogbad, did you ever take the slack out of the split-pin thrust gudgeon?

50065[/snapback]

Absolutely not jrt, I simply find the cute clickety click noise of the end float a fitting accompaniment to summer pottering...

Guest cliffy
:race::mg: dont be paranoid ive done nearly seven thou on my 02 v11 just one selector spring failure so far . the needle roller on the outer end of the bevel box has a little play which ive been monitoring for some time and to be honest i,m not too worried with it if it was spinning at road speeds (wheel bearings etc) it would be another matter!!.Just get out there and enjoy,oh and by the way i,ve seen so many posts on this site that if you believed them all you would never ride again !!cheers :bier: