Guzzichondriac?

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

So, much as I enjoy this DB, over the last week to add to tranny faults, burned out relays and bad paint; we have:

Cracked headers

Rear wheel bearing failure

More fuel system gremlins

I feel like I ought to be stripping the bike every weekend and looking for faults. I'm even starting to slow down in case something breaks or seizes.

When I had an old Norton Commando, I accepted the need to screw it back together every Saturday morning, and it had been apart so many times I knew every nut and bolt. Therefore it wasn't a worry to ride fast at all. My old MZ250, likewise.

When I bought the Suzuki SV, I treated that like a washing machine, gas and go. No thought for breakdown and no worries when caning it up the motorway.

Now I have the V11, and have hitherto treated it like the Suzi. Servicing only, and no worries about a bit of fast stuff.

Unfortunately I am now imagining cracking gear sleeves and disintegrating bearings whilst riding. The more I read these forums, the less confidence I have in the bike.

The dealer can't get the tranny recall parts out of Guzzi at the moment it seems, and can't tell me when it can be done.

Maybe I need a BMW.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... ah the seasonally reoccurring "why does everyone think these bikes break all the time" thread rears it's head again :rolleyes:

Yeah, go to any make/model specific forum and you'll find the same observation. Go to the FJR forum and you'll hear about overheating and ticking valves. Go to the Honda forums and hear about VFR and ST1300 frames cracking. Go to Suzuki forums and hear about bad pistons, and mushrooming valves on the Kawi forums :doh:

... it's the nature of "forums" and the human condition. We more readily put energy into complaining or asking questions about problems, than singing praises about reliability and perfection :P

In fact, I'd speculate that if all of these various makes were nearly 100% perfect and reliable, forums like this very one would dry up :lol:

Don't worry, it's just that most people are out riding when their bikes are working perfectly, but are first to post a question or concern when something is amiss. So it appears that it is nothing but complaints, when in fact a large percentage of "good news" is out there, but being enjoyed "silently" :bike:

al

So it appears that it is nothing but complaints, when in fact a large percentage of "good news" is out there, but being enjoyed "silently"  :bike:

al

48427[/snapback]

So true Al, I was out hammering Sunday with some friends on the Nero. During the ride the odo passed 8K miles. Yes, I had a time (just about a year ago) when I first bought it, but since it's been a total blast! :D

Guest Nogbad

Do you recommend just riding the thing then and treating it like you would any other modern bike?

I think what worries me most is this tranny recall that I can't seem to get done, and the rear drive bearing stories. Where is this needle roller that goes rusty? Do I need to take my rear wheel out and just check it all?

I just passed 7K miles and am doing some 500 miles a week now the weather is better.

Oh and incidentally, my SV650 had carb icing problems enough to give me brown trouser moments on cold damp mornings, and also occasionally gave starting trouble. The Guzzi on the other hand, apart from one instance of vapour lock after town riding on a VERY hot day has never shown any reluctance to start and so far is every bit as reliable as the Jap bike, Siemens relays and all.

Guest aironepony

The only problem I have had with my Rosso is a "wandering tacho" with lumpy running in neutral and a flickering neutral light. It was all down to the connection on the neutral switch. It wasn't pushed home within it's rubber cover. I simply crimped the spade connector to make a tighter fit; bobs your uncle, job done! Other than that it's just as good as the Airone.

:thumbsup:

Nogbad, the needle roller butts against the swinger in the drive housing, absolute doddle to get at, just take out the back wheel,remove the bolt holding the torque arm and draw out the drive housing. You'll see it on he right of the housing, where the spindle goes. I know how you feel, I've only had my bike a short time, already I'm down a battery, two self deflating tyres when its[ but fine when parked;strange its got new valves] bevel drive leaking, exhaust leaks, handlebars at different heights,engine revs up when you turn the bars to the right. IMHO the dealer I got it from is a complete tosser. I ordered a handlebar conversion end of January when I got the bike;still waiting. I love my bike but Ive only done 1000 miles since I got her due to fixing/fettling/waiting for parts. Wouldn't swap her tho, not fir anything. It's all character forming............. :bike:

Guest Nogbad
Nogbad, the needle roller butts against the swinger in the drive housing, absolute doddle to get at, just take out the back wheel,remove the bolt holding the torque arm and draw out the drive housing. You'll see it on he right of the housing, where the spindle goes. I know how you feel, I've only had my bike a short time, already I'm down a battery, two self deflating tyres when its[ but fine when parked;strange its got new valves] bevel drive leaking, exhaust leaks, handlebars at different heights,engine revs up when you turn the bars to the right. IMHO the dealer I got it from is a complete tosser. I ordered a handlebar conversion end of January when I got the bike;still waiting. I love my bike but Ive only done 1000 miles since I got her due to fixing/fettling/waiting for parts. Wouldn't swap her tho, not fir anything. It's all character forming............. :bike:

48455[/snapback]

Mines been ok. A 3 year old hardly used 2000 V11 in green, with 2 previous owners and 2200 miles end of June last year. It's got 7000 trouble free miles on it now, always starts, doesn't leak. It's a pre-Aprilia red frame one too. I suppose there must have been one or two good ones made! :D

Do I need to take my rear wheel out and just check it all?

48447[/snapback]

Looks like it. The wobbly bearing that I'm looking at is 'lubricated' by a black metallic paste. While I too could still be out riding and enjoying it, oblivious, this problem would just be getting worse and worse. There's no point in ignoring it. This was going bad from day one.

Big J, I haven't started on the needle roller bearing yet. Is it straightforward to get out? Any hints? I'm stuck on the wheel hub bearing at the moment.

Belfast, the needle roller as mine was dead easy.Take off the drive housing cover and pull out the crownwheel assembly. If you look kind of through the housing you'll see it from the inside if you know what i mean.I had a wee pin punch I bent in the vice to roughly about 15 deg from vertical and just drifted it out, mine wasn't tight, just a nice sliding fit. Popped right out.The punch was placed against the diameter of the needle flange towards the outside of the bearing bore,broke the needles but they were bolloxed anyway obviously. This isnt making much sense.....Look down thru the bevel housing, the furthest away flange where the needles are, drift against that. Like Nogbad said, new bearings in the freezer for an hour, straight from freezer to location or they'll expand again. Plenty copaslip in housing and it'll slide right in.Maybe a wee tap with a plastic mallet to make sure it's seated.

Contrary to what everybody is saying, the sky is indeed falling. Have you looked outside?  :o

48482[/snapback]

Don't worry, Guzzi has made an umbrella.

Err.. there seems to be a small fault...

22811451.jpg

Well, it's an improvement on the 'pre-Aprillia' model

17648420.jpg

Guest Nogbad
Nogbad, have you done the diaster adjusment yet? It's a sensitive adjustment, but critical.

:P:

Jason

48458[/snapback]

How do I make this adjustment?

Guest Nogbad
Wondered how long before anyone asked.  I was just pulling your chain.  :cheese:

Kind of like 'snipe hunting'.....

48879[/snapback]

I realised that. Come to think of it, when I have a look at this rear needle bearing this weekend, I will be able to confound the doomsayers with a picture of this perfect, clean greasy bearing.....