Scura's back on the road...

tikkanen

Hi ya,

I got my Scura back last Friday after 4 months of hibernation due to a engine case paint warranty job. When I picked her up she had been fitted with all the goodies I bought from Mistral (see under my avatar for further info) and the bike had been Dyno tested. Unfortunately I was away when they ran the bike in the Dyno test center but boy oh boy, what a poor result: 75 bhp on the rear wheel in both 4th, 5th and 6th gear....

The only positive thing was the fine, linear torque curve, which is a major improvement compared to the stock set up.

I had really hoped to get at least 90 bhp especially after previously having seen Jaap's result. Jaap and I have the same setup on our bikes so I cannot really understand how the final outcome can be so far away from each other.

Bar that the bike runs and sounds great with the Mistral cans and the x-over system. It's too premature to say anything on petrol consumption as I have only managed to cover circa 300 km so far.

You can see more pics

here

I only have a hardcopy of the Dyno chart but I'll try to get it scanned ASAP

Cheers

Søren

Edited by tikkanen

.... sorry to hear about your results, but maybe a bit more "tuning" is in order :huh2:

BTW, with regard to your pics, I get the following error:

An error has occurred.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.

Make sure you are logged in.

Hi Søren

Great to hear your bike is back on the road!

I would not worry about comparing your dyno results to other bikes unless you run back to back on the same dyno in the same conditions.

If it runs great than that is the important thing.

Maybe at a future European V11 meet we could get someone to come along with a mobile dyno and all have a shoot out!

Guy :helmet:

Many Dynos are as well not tuned up right as I have heared,with as a result wrong results.

Numbers tell me nothing, the true thing is on the road,that's were it counts, nimbers are for Jap.(not Jaap...LOL)bikes, The best description (no dyno numbers) I have heared about a Guzzi motor , and that was a Daytona (a bit tunned ) was from a magazine(BIKE) saying (with a photo of the motor)" Packs more meat than butcher's shop" And that's what Guzzis are all about:, packing the meat and let you have it.

Well, 75 hp on the rear wheel is not that bad, a lot depends on the correction used by the operator for tranmission losses, and other corrections used for pressure, temperature etc.

As for the output, yeah, it's right, it should be the same in any gear, unless you have greater losses in any particular gear, which is not very likely.

Congrats that it is back on the road. Now you can start contributing to the state via speeding fines again! :food:

The only positive thing was the fine, linear torque curve, which is a major improvement compared to the stock set up.

I had really hoped to get at least 90 bhp especially after previously having seen Jaap's result. Jaap and I have the same setup on our bikes so I cannot really understand how the final outcome can be so far away from each other.

Søren

49286[/snapback]

1st point: That linear torque curve is that ne plus ultra that makes a vehicle easy to drive! Which brings up something that I ran across in a rag devoted to 4wd vehicles, where someone had written in about "should a buy a Jeep w/ the old straight 6 now, or wait til next year when it will come w/ the v6?" The editor's reply mentioned how the "new v6 has the same peak torque but puts out more power; the old i6 has seen it's day in the sun & needs to be retired..." Boy did he get it wrong!

The v6 puts out more power because it spins to a higher rpm. If it has the same *peak* torque, it's only putting out more power because it's peak is at an higher rpm! What do you want in a truck or 4wd vehicle? Punch off the *bottom* of the power band, which is where the old i6 motor has it!

So how does all this cage-talk relate to us? Well, it's like the Harley-Davidson adds that don't mention horsepower but do point out the peak torque, because *that's* what makes a vehicle fun to drive. The squids on their flashy race-rep bikes can't even begin to motorvate until they've revved their engines up to where a Harley is due to shift, at 5k rpm. The race-reps may not hit their torque peak until 11k rpm, and can be wound out to 15k rpm. But who wants to ride like that all the time on the street? :bbblll:

2nd point: Different dynos will produce different "scores." Heck, even the same dyno on different days will produce different readings for the same Bike! [And yes, that's even assuming the air temps & pressure are the same...] The only way to compare 2 bikes' output is by having a "shootout" event where they're all tested on the same machine back-to-back [and at about the same time.] Here's a hint for a cheap horsepower bonus: when going to such an event, get up *early* so you can be one of the first few in line, before the day heats up. Cool air = more power; the Johnny Come Latelys will get lower power readings when their bikes are tested late in the day than if they'd gotten there in the morning... ;)

Ride on,

:bike:

Hi again,

thanks for all the support and yes, I may have been too focused on the bhp output compared to the torque. What we need is a lot of torque for overtaking cars and to be able to accelarate when some cager does something stupid right in front of us. I have tried to update the link to my webhotel so I do hope that everything is ok now.

By the way, when I left work Thursday the Scura decided to call it a day. When I turned the ignition key it simply just turned stonedead. I changed the 15 amp fuse, checked all the rest of the fuses, gave the relays a good shake but all to no avail. I was a bit PO'ed so I called my mechanic and we had the bike towed in.

Next day he called me and told that he had changed the fuse and presto: The old Goose was up and running again......

Do I have to say that I felt like a complete pratt? :homer: I don't know what the heck went wrong ´cause I changed the bloody fuse! The only feasible explanation must be that the spare fuse was broken too.....

Søren

Check the link again, please or this

326311252IOfQzz_th.jpg326310229mYjKlU_th.jpg

Guest rosso mandello

Hello.

I feel a bit guilty, because I strongly recommended the Mistral solution to Søren, my fellow Dane. It works on my Rosso Mandello, it pulls really hard in the mid area, i never dynotested it.

Søren, see you to the nordic guzzi meeting, we can compare power on the planned trip, then I will play you some blues music.

greetings mogens :bier:

Hi all,

It would seem that the lower top end output with improved mid range is also borne out on the Mistral versus standard crossover on the Moto One site dyno results. This was recently referred to in the exhaust/crossover thread. My Scura lost 6hp on top end with an improved mid range. I elected to wait and try a Stucchi.

regards

Bruce

ps. Sometime in the near future the Scura will have the fbf pistons, stucchi crossover, and twin plug heads done (Remus cans on it at the moment). followed by a remap and dyno. Brad at Moto One may post it on his performance page when its done. :luigi: