Helmets?

DeBenGuzzi

I'm looking at getting a Suomy don't know how to pronounce it but has many good reviews and they make the Aprilia helmets so's I could get a somewhat matching helmet to the bike I want to get and just repaint my Nolan for the Guzzi I suppose. We'll see haven't tried one on yet. that will decide for sure.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not personally ride with one of these.

The helmet can come up ... if you come down on your chin in a crash.

The little toggle on the front chin can engage ... and the whole face portion will flip back. I have seen some bad accidents on the web with guys riding with this.

49747[/snapback]

I ride with a flip-up nolan- I have a hard enough time disengaging the lock. It's hard to see how it could flip up unintentionally. I guess in a freak accident, almost anything is possible....

The nolan is loud, though. I have to wear earplugs.

Arai just doesn't fit my head, unfortunately. Fits my wife, though, so she wears one.

There is a theory called risk compensation thats basically says, the more safe and secure you feel, the faster you drive / ride and therefore the more likely you are to have an accident.

When seatbelts were made compulsory for the first time in many countries, this theory was proved when accident rates actually went up. Probabaly also explains why so many Volvos get crashed because everyone thinks they are really safe to have a smash in.

When I ride through town with my chinbar raised and my face exposed, I know that logically I am less safe than if I was wearing a full face helmet and I fully agree that the Roof Boxer is not as sturdy as an Arai full face.

But that feeling of exposure sunconsciously makes me ride a little safer, and I get the fun of the wind on my face, hopefully some ultra violet rays and I can hear and see better, not to mention the odd fly going up in my nose! And yes I know my face would be a right mess if I headbutted a Volvo.

I do wear a Quantum F for track days though as the Roof is not passed as safe by the ACU.

:2c:

Guy

P.S. DeBenGuzzi- how does this grab ya?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

I want to get a new modular helmet I have a Nolan classic and its nice but I'd like something a lil nicer maybe a better style to it. The modulars fit my giant melon better than most full face I don't leave it up ever riding but is nice for filling up or talking here or there. I kinda like the ROOF but have heard mixed reviews and it has no vents!!!, and I like the shoei well enough but I would want to try and try them on b4 dropping 4bills on either.  :huh2:

49369[/snapback]

Schuberths are ex$pen$ive, and their sizes are wonky: iirc, their XXL is about a Shoei Medium. [Pointed headed b@stards, those Schubes!.. ;) ]

I currently have one of the Nolan N100 helmets [w/o the fancy new visor arrangement.]

It sux, btw: noisy, the modular arrangement is flat out *weird* [almost like it's spring-loaded upon opening], the ventilation is paradoxically poor [visor fogs fiercely] and the chin bar is too close to your face when closed [& no, I don't look anything like Jay Leno...] And the worst thing is, the Nolan doesn't have D-rings, so you can't use it with a helmet lock! :doh:

The Zeus is cheap, & has a poor shield design such that you can't "crack" it open: the smallest 'open' setting is about 1"! :huh: But: it's more comfortable than the Nolan, isn't as noisy, and you can open the modular bit & leave it a part-way open setting [great for when noodling along at low speed facing into the sun... using it like a visor.]

I haven't tried any others [yet], but the biggest complaints I've heard leveled at the Shoei are that it's pricey, heavy, and you can't put it on with the chinbar closed [bFD; that's got to be about the tiniest nit anyone could pick!...]

A friend with the HJC modular complained that it was noisy, but that overall he was happy with it; unfortunately, I never got a chance to try it before he replaced it w/ something else...

Best o' luck!

:helmet:

P.S. DeBenGuzzi- how does this grab ya?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

49776[/snapback]

Umm that is Freaking awesome but I have no way of knowing if its comfortable or would even fit me with those measurements I would at least need and XL, Maybe an XXL where did that thing come from? Me likey :helmet: I'm sure an XL but 219£ that works out to be 417.50 (ouch) if it didn't fit ... I'll be on the lookout for an XL of those. thanks for the 'heads' up so to speak :thumbsup:

Umm that is Freaking awesome but I have no way of knowing if its comfortable or would even fit me with those measurements I would at least need and XL, Maybe an XXL where did that thing come from? Me likey :helmet: I'm sure an XL but 219£ that works out to be 417.50 (ouch) if it didn't fit ... I'll be on the lookout for an XL of those. thanks for the 'heads' up so to speak  :thumbsup:

49798[/snapback]

The helmets are an official Guzzi accesory so in theory you should be able to find a dealer in the States who can let you try one on.

You do not see them very often in the showrooms in the UK.

Guy :helmet:

The helmets are an official Guzzi accesory so in theory you should be able to find a dealer in the States who can let you try one on.

You do not see them very often in the showrooms in the UK.

Guy :helmet:

49800[/snapback]

You do not see them very often ANYWHERE I've been to 2 Guzzi dealers and talk to another and I scan ebay everyday for guzzi crap. None of them have had anything like this helmet and only one had the black jacket(or much of anything) I kinda liked but not in my size, Ordering would have been iffy and a long process. That dealer folded after only one year and the main dealer I work with is still a Guzzi dealer but they only have 2 models on the floor and got rid of all thier stuff I think they may drop thier association soon its sad :(

ya know-- that is a really cool helmet. Al ought to buy it :bier: Then we can all gawk at it and then maybe dealers here would carry stuff like that and then I could get one too :P:

hey DeBenGuzzi- Suomy is sue-ah-mey. But then I stutter! A friend of mine who works in Finnland told me Suomy sounds like the Finnish word for what they call their country (even though the helmet is made is Italy) -- anyone want to check on that????

BTW - a highly good helmet- ultra lightweight and tough. Some wind noise however (hence - my earplugs)

hey DeBenGuzzi- Suomy is sue-ah-mey.  But then I stutter!  A friend of mine who works in Finnland told me  Suomy sounds like the Finnish word for what they call their country (even though the helmet is made is Italy) -- anyone want to check on that????

49845[/snapback]

Suomi = Finland

Suomy ?= pronounced like Suomi [i would *think* so, but then I'm the sort who thinks the plurals of house & moose are hice & meese, respectively... after all mouse/mice & goose/geese, right? ;) ]

io have a roof ,the f16 pilot look alike . great looker ,but a lousy helmet.

in the rain you get wet inside.

and built quality is poor.

but,for the looks i would get another one.

have had all the bmw's helmets --made by schuberth--- not that good when you compare it to...............

nolan ,not that good when compared to.................

schubert------heavy mother............and not that good when compared to........

the best helmet i have owned...............top of line shoei...

it is quiet.

has great aerodynamics keeping your head flat into the wind with no noise and no struggling

and very dry..................

arai also top notch. have this one also.

bottom line ,if you want the best ,stick to arai and shoei.

i would still get the roof and others ,but with knowledge that i am getting styling and not function ,not as good as arai and shoei.

my 2 cents worth based on owning all of the above.

• 2 weeks later...