Wrecked Rosso Corsa on eBay

al_roethlisberger

Well, after following Carl's fun filled adventure repairing his V11 Sport that looked to be similarly "lightly" damaged, I don't know about trying to repair the following bike without a whole lot of very close inspection.

If you do consider this bike as a rebuild project, drop a note to Carl with regard to what to look for. His V11 Sport also seemed to be a simple repair, but as the bike came apart... and went through its first resurrection, it soon became clear that much more was amiss, such as a bent frame and cracked/cracking engine mounts.

I would worry about this bike because, like Carls, the thing that stopped the rearward travel of the front wheel is the engine itself most likely, and if so, all that force was transferred directly to the engine, its mounts, and the frame.

But, it does seem to be "going for cheap", and is listed without a reserve.

If you are near Portland, Oregon, or wouldn't mind having it shipped, it might be a good source of parts for everything from an Ohlins rear shock, to the 2003+ in tank fuel system... not to mention the potential for a mostly pristine engine/transmission with the 2003 improvements :huh2:

If I didn't have waaaay too much going on with the upcoming move this Summer, and my bike mostly "done" as far as major modifications, I'd definitely pick this bike up just for the spare parts... if it stayed under a couple thousand or so.

Anyway, it's early in the auction, but it's only up to about $1100 so far for the whole bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I guess the ranks of Rosso Corsas in North America just got reduced by about 5%.

.... I wonder if the owner was ever on the forum? :unsure:

al

Well, after following Carl's fun filled adventure repairing his V11 Sport that looked to be similarly "lightly" damaged, I don't know about trying to repair the following bike without a whole lot of very close inspection.

But, it does seem to be "going for cheap", and is listed without a reserve.

If you are near Portland, Oregon, or wouldn't mind having it shipped, it might be a good source of parts for everything from an Ohlins rear shock, to the 2003+ in tank fuel system... not to mention the potential for a mostly pristine engine/transmission with the 2003 improvements  :huh2:

Anyway, it's early in the auction, but it's only up to about $1100 so far for the whole bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I guess the ranks of Rosso Corsas in North America just got reduced by about 5%.

.... I wonder if the owner was ever on the forum?  :unsure:

al

49517[/snapback]

It looks like the front forks are ok too. Those are pretty pricey

Also though, on a positive note, if the front fairing isn't too rashed(at all?), the complete bodywork is worth quite a bit as well.

According to the description, the bike basically just fell over after running into whatever it did to crush the front end... so who knows, the bodywork may be in good shape.

The seller says he has quite a few more photos available upon request.

al

I will guarantee you that if the forks are bent that bad, the frame is as well. I hit the back of the car with my V11 Sport nearly dead on at a closing speed of less than 35 mph and didn't bend the front as much as this guy has. The photos taken the same day (now that I know where to look) plainly showed broken motor mounts ad infinitum, ad nauseum. Salvage value for a V11 Sport is $2800. A LeMans may be a tad higher. If you want parts to play with - go for it. Don't expect to put it back on the road in pristine condition for much less than $7000 and probably more than that.

....everyone listen to Carl, he knows this sad tale :notworthy:

He probably has one of the most expensive, and "frankensteined", V11 Sports ever to be resurrected from what appeared to be a survivable wreck :wacko: ...and finding many of the parts is no trivial exercise either.

The V11 front end/frame just isn't well designed to take that kind of hit :(

But for parts, keep this bike in mind :thumbsup:

Throw on new forks take off the fairing and make it like Jaaps bike. That be sweet little paint little spackle its good to go.  :luigi: not in my budget or anywhere near me tho. A project for someone else.  :helmet:

49536[/snapback]

A little off-topic, but since you've been asking about paint jobs... and you suggest a limited budget above... I just wanted to point out that a good paint job, especially a multi-color one like the Copa that you want to emulate, is probably going to cost upwards of $400 just for the tank alone. Add in a the tail carapace, fender, and any other bits, and you are approaching $1000 for a quality job.

You can undoubtedly find a cheaper job out there, but it seems like good motorcycle painting doesn't come cheap, especially when they have to match unknown paint(no codes for many MG applications) and paint on the wierd plastic our tanks are made from, where special prep is required.

Just something to be aware of so you can budget accordingly. My tank, which was a one color job, was about $350 I think. Cycle Finish charged another $50 per color over that.

http://www.cyclefinish.net/

al

It's listed Light damage? Hah! That's heavy impact. Forks, yokes, frame must be bent & possibly wheel, cases etc broken ......like you said already, not a cheap fix. There'll still be a lot useable, esp if the cases are intact, but you never know for sure til you pull it all apart & put it back together & things don't line up like they should.....

KB

A little off-topic, but since you've been asking about paint jobs... and you suggest a limited budget above... I just wanted to point out that a good paint job, especially a multi-color one like the Copa that you want to emulate, is probably going to cost upwards of $400 just for the tank alone.  Add in a the tail carapace, fender, and any other bits, and you are approaching $1000 for a quality job.

You can undoubtedly find a cheaper job out there, but it seems like good motorcycle painting doesn't come cheap, especially when they have to match unknown paint(no codes for many MG applications) and paint on the wierd plastic our tanks are made from, where special prep is required.

Just something to be aware of so you can budget accordingly.  My tank, which was a one color job, was about $350 I think.  Cycle Finish charged another $50 per color over that.

http://www.cyclefinish.net/

al

49542[/snapback]

Well I only really need the tank done. and maybe the seat cowl. The rear peice looks like one color on the Copa and I'd be looking to get pauls carbon fiber kit anyway. so $4-$500 isn't unbearable if its a good job.

this bike is 2500 euro worth. maybe 3000. but indeed the forks are bent more than the salvage bike I had, and that one had a bent frame, and broken front engine mounts. expect the tailframe a bit bent too.

49555[/snapback]

Actually, the tailframe is unlikely to be bent. Nice to think that there's probably one surviving piece of the frame. :!: