Looking for a new bike...guzzi advice please

Guest chris1

Guest chris1

Hey I'm new here and after some advice from long term Guzzi owners. I'm thinking of trading my BMW R100GS and getting EITHER a Moto Guzzi Ballabio or else another later model BMW GS. My heart says Guzzi and my brain says for practical purposes do the beemer thing again.

I don't know nuttin' 'bout Guzzis!

I took a Rosso Mandello for a spin at a dealers and it gave me a real buzz. Unfortunately there was no demo Ballabio available so this was as close as I could get. I didn't like the riding position on the Rosso and thought the power or drive train was snatchy. But otherwise it went like a bullet.

Your views or experiences of the Ballabio would be welcome. It does it for me and looks like a classic bike. I am nervous about the luggage availability for the Ballabio tho. First thinbg I'd do with a stock Ballabio is chuck out the standard cans and fit carbon ones as I know it will be over silenced.

Any opinions most welcome but you'd better be quick as I'm looking at a GS1200 tomorrow and have a seller of a GS1150 adventure breathing down my neck as well.

Thanks

Chris :food:

Haven't ridden a Balabio, but have a Scura which I've done 22500 miles on in less than 30 months - all pleasure. The V11 is a superb bike, and with the lower bars (as on the Scura) is a very comfortable machine - I once did 450 miles in 10 hours, from Portsmouth to north Wales and back - no appreciable discomfort - just tired!

The drive can be a bit snatchy at slow speeds in low gears, but I put that down to my rather rough throttle handling. At speed it's as smooth as a baby's b*m - and let's face it, how much slow riding do you want to do!?

For a Guzzi, it's been extremely reliable - had a small leak from the timing cover (incorrectly fitted gasket) and a rear wheel bearing failed early on (incorrect fitting at the factory - rather worrying!!!).

I tried an 1100RS last year, with the intention of hiring it for a trip to Italy, but was so unimpressed with it that I took my Cali instead (in company with 16 BMWs). The most striking deficiency of the BMW was it's complete and utter lack of character - and it made me feel that I had to ride sensibly and not forget to pack my pipe and slippers! Unfair, I know, but that's how it struck me.

If given the choice and opportunity my first three choices for bikes would be exactly what I have got - and summer's coming - I'm one very happy biker!

Robin

Guest davidb

I rode the r1200gs and it will be my next bike. The counterbalanced engine plus the 100hp and potential for a few more, is great. It handles damn good and since there is a lot ofgravel and dirt roads in the area, I can explore some off the unbeaten path. The guzzi is fun to ride and has good speed to about 80mph.

Chris

I've had my Guzzi for about a year and a half.. I find it actually rides better above 80mph, or for me when its riding about or above 5000rpm. Mine vibrates a lot at 4200-4500 which is roughly 70-75mph, so I tend to ride in 5th gear until I can wind it up a bit.

anyway, when I was looking to replace my Kawasaki Concours last year I test drove a whole bunch of bikes including the 1200GS.. I was pretty happy with the 1150 variants that I test drove previously, but the 1200GS was just light years better. Like Dave says below, it was really fast, smooth and stable. Its better enough that I wouldn't consider the 1150s anymore..

But for a number of reasons including style, soul, and price I ended up going with an Aprilia Tuono.. go figure..! The Tuono is great and rowdy, comfortable for longer distance.. its just got a small gas tank and limited range, which the Concours with its 7.7 gallon tank spoiled me...

Good luck selecting.. Shopping for bikes is a fun thing to do !

Cheers, Tim

Guest MotoMessiah

I drove a single cylinder Yamaha XT600 from Los Angeles to Belize and back several years ago. I averaged roughly 300 miles a day. Which is plenty for me even on a FJR. I'd consider the RM a luxurious tourer compared to the XT. :bike:

Guest chris1

Thanks folks, it's interesting to see the response. Most bikes are all relative really...there's so much choice out there of good machines it's likely I'll remain confused and choose to do nothing.

The Ballabio is real smile factor material which is the main reason I'm into having it. Pity I can't get one for a test but the dealer has only one new one in stock here in NZ they retail for $23-$22k new... alot of dough. You do the conversion.

I even had an interest in the Duc Multistrada till recently but after a long hard look and seeing one being driven towards me on the motorway, mistook it for an odd looking scooter, the styling is ummm... rather personal.

The Guzzi dealer here raves on about the hydraulic tappets on the Ballabio, says it means low maintenance intervals.

The Ballabio I favour cause the seating position is much more upright aka BMW GS and better for a 6'2" bloke like myself.

Well its off to look at the 1200GS (a second hand one)..

Chris,...let me tell you about Guzzi's, can you spot one in the picture??

First on the right has a 4Valve engine with bigger "blocks" and the second has a 2Valve 1100.( My favorite enginea194.gif), the rest seem to me like a 850cc and a V50 at the end left.

I like the two on the left :P

....aaaaaanyway, NO THE V11 SPORT MODELS DO NOT HAVE HYDRAULIC LIFTERS.

I know you have few choices of dealers in Aus/NZ, but good lord, if you can run away from this dealer... do so poste haste <_>

AND, even if the Ballabio DID have the hydraulic lifters, that would be the one reason NOT to buy the bike, as MG is having no end of trouble with the 2003-04 hydraulic lifter equipped cruisers eating their cams. They are all being recalled/retrofitted, and that is a huge drama and disappointment itself(the process to get it done).

ugh :doh:

I am almost certainly shocked and disturbed by that picture on a wholesome biker site like this. Almost certainly. If you could post a couple more just like it, I will review them and let you know just how upset I am. Especialy girl #3. Shocking.

John