black engine paint

Guest ckamin

Guest ckamin

I've got a '03 V11 sport with the black wrinkle paint, and in the first 1500 miles I have maybe one or two blisters the size of a pen or pencil tip. Even though I am a perfectionist and anal about the upkeep of my machines, I do expect some small flaws on anything mechanical. If this is going to be pretty much the extent of it, it is not worth the downtime to me to have the engine r&r'ed and rebuilt, since the engine is in great shape otherwise. The bike is ridden in fair weather and garaged. I've got one year left on the warrantee. I do have concerns of having someone without specialized training or regular experience work on the bike, let alone tear down the engine.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Guest ckamin

Yes, I am in the USA (Southern California). Thanks for the info to check the other threads. Will any authorized Guzzi dealer take care of this issue? I bought my bike from a multi-brand dealer and would not take it there for repair work/maintenance issues. I guess it is a confidence thing.

Thanks!

Yes, I am in the USA (Southern California). Thanks for the info to check the other threads. Will any authorized Guzzi dealer take care of this issue? I bought my bike from a multi-brand dealer and would not take it there for repair work/maintenance issues. I guess it is a confidence thing.

Thanks!

51010[/snapback]

I am sure any MG can do the work, but if the dealer that sold your bike is a MG dealer... regardless of being a "multi-make dealer"... they should be able to do the work.

Did you buy your bike from OC by any chance? If so, they should be able to do the work, and I haven't heard anything bad about their service.

al

Guest ckamin

No, it was L.A. Yamaha/Aprilia. The pricing was right as it was April '04 and the bike was an '03. One of the selling points was that I work in Santa Barbara and Trust Dave at Sport Cycle Pacific Santa Barbara, Ca). I would have bought the bike from him, but he couldn't get any leftover '03s at the time from MG.

Guest freeman

I had a 2003 V11 Sport that I had to have the engine case replaced as well it was done on the 2002 LeMans I now have. In the case of my 2003 V11 sport the paint got worse and worse in a very short period of time. It started the same time as yours but by the time I got to 5000 miles it was aweful. I highly recommend getting the engine case replaced, it just looks so bad without it. I would schedule it soon, or at least have them order the parts soon. If you have 1 year left on your warranty, there isn't time to waste. It took my dealership approximately 4-6 months to get the parts, fit me into their schedule and have it done.

Has anyone tried to remove the blistered paint from the engine. I recall RacerX used paint striper and then hit it with a high pressure water hose. I think the black paint under the blistered paint was uneffected. Anyone else try anything?

Mike

Guest bshpilot

once the claim is FILED and approved (w/in the coverage period)

youre in the clear for the work...it matters NOT if the warrenty

period is expired

as for the wait...good luck...ive been waiting for the cases for

more than 6months...and MG will only tell MGNA that im on the

"back order list"...that is there are others backordered ahead of me...

and SOME that are "on the list"...MG wont tell anyone WHEN to expect

the parts...there are NO delivery dates provided...

oh and the option wasnt 1000 bucks in "mg" gear...only 400 or so...and

at this rate who wants to be wearing MG gear when they arent riding

one or the one they ride looks bad !

If you have 1 year left on your warranty, there isn't time to waste. It took my dealership approximately 4-6 months to get the parts, fit me into their schedule and have it done.

51034[/snapback]

were the older engines (silver) painted that way? or was the color of the metal?

I personally like it better not black. Since I already know that my black paint will bubble and look like crap, I was playng with the idea of getting the paint off completely. Any body did it? any knowledge about it. I like my Tenni better like this.

The older(00-01) "silver" engined bikes had their drivetrain painted silver, and yes it too comes off. But when it comes off, it simply exposes silver aluminum, and it also doesn't "boil" off like the fuzzy black finish on the 01 RM and 02 bikes.

So the silver bikes seem to look better longer...

It will be interesting to see how the 03+ "satin" finish black drivetrain will survive in comparison.

al

No, it was L.A. Yamaha/Aprilia.

51013[/snapback]

I had my cases replaced at that dealership, and Fred did the work. It came out great and he put it all back together better than new.

Guest burke
I had a 2003 V11 Sport that I had to have the engine case replaced as well it was done on the 2002 LeMans I now have. In the case of my 2003 V11 sport the paint got worse and worse in a very short period of time. It started the same time as yours but by the time I got to 5000 miles it was aweful. I highly recommend  getting the engine case replaced, it just looks so bad without it. I would schedule it soon, or at least have them order the parts soon. If you have 1 year left on your warranty, there isn't time to waste. It took my dealership approximately 4-6 months to get the parts, fit me into their schedule and have it done.

51034[/snapback]

Hey Freeman, I am assuming this is Mitch. This is Burke. I'm the one who bought your 2003 V11. Just took it in to Cascade moto and had the full 6000 mile service done and everthing looks great. How is the le-mans working out?

I PM'd you.

fyi, I just did the waiver and accepted the goodies. Here are the options:

1. MG Grandraid riding jacket and pants

2. Matching men's and women's MG Race Leather Jackets

3. Hard saddlebag kit (Cal. EV and Stone - unpainted)

4. Leather saddlebag kit (Cal. EV and Stone, and Special Sport)

5. Carbon fiber Accessory Kit (V11 Sport and LeMans)

6. Soft Luggage kit (tank bag, tail pack, and parcel rack - V11 Sport and LeMans)

Refer to Service Bulletin # 72903 for the details.

My contact was Merideth, who was very helpful, but she is moving on. Her replacement is Michelle, her number is 678.238.0902 and the fax is 678.238.0273

Hope this helps.

Guest friz

meredith helped me with my paint problems she was great, i just used high pressure air nozzle with a rubber tip and blew off the bubbling paint repainted looks like new!!!!!! :thumbsup: