Boot Recommendation Requested

Guest ratchethack

more of an Altberg Guy, boot-wise.  But in Pommyland, they craft their old-world classic hand-made boots for the cold and damp, 2 adjectives that NEVER apply to any part of my riding.  I'll bet they're more water-tight than a frog's behind - but I'll bet I'd be dead miserable in 'em where I ride. :bbblll:

51363[/snapback]

You are so right there- I wear Altbergs in winter and they are very warm and completely watertight (as tested in Scotland!) buy may be a bit sweaty for your climate over there.

If you want some order three months before you need them!

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As such, I'm demanding, sophisticated, and I always go first class.  (ahem.)  ...Well, I damn well appreciate the integrity of well-proven, classic, hand-built designs, anyway...  :D

Frankly, it's the styling of the Sidi Airs that kills me.  In the sense that Guzzis are modern-day anachronisms, I reckon I'm a bit of an anachronism myself. Ratchethack

The Daytona boots are made this way.And that's what I was trying to tell.

My :2c: is that Yesterday that I wore my EVO Sports(nonGTX) they are giving me Foot ventilation(noticable and more than the SIDI I use to wear).

Some Alpinestars were back in the 90ies with some ventilation holes revealed from some removable cups, they were 2colors I think.

It's good to search for some tests and critics abot the boots you hear here or what you're interested to buy.ANd better go to test-wear in a shop to see how they fit.

The non goretex models do have a more ventilated enviroment.But at the other side what kind of ventilation you need?

For more ventilation you can get these91_2.JPG

For more Ventilated securityhand crafted boots you can get some of these:

4_sprint.jpg or4_roadstar.jpg all non goretex

And at the end of the day after all is said and done nothing beats the hand-crafted shoe.

Guest ratchethack
my  EVO Sports(nonGTX) they are giving me Foot ventilation(noticable and more than the SIDI I use to wear).

51375[/snapback]

Thanks again Mike, Guy and Alex, et al, your input is highly appreciated. Let me see if I can draw better focus on my intent. The Frank Thomas "Cheese Whiz" boots I have now are sporting tiny vent scoops at the top of the instep and at the malleolus ;). These little vents have made all other forms of Guzzi riding footware seem like borderline torture for me on hot days, and we get a lot of 'em in "prime time" riding season (heh - that's pretty much all year...) :race:

I'm after more of a good thing and good protection at the same time - hopefully without a circus parade of wacky colors, which I find - well, too flamboyant. OK, I'll concede functional reflectors and maybe a small swoosh and some raised white letters IF they're not too gaudy - but that's where I draw the line! :D

Alex, (yeah - sandals. Frickin' hilarious... :glare:) you implied above that your Frey Daytona EVO Sports have ventilation, yet on their Web site (I'm already familiar with it from many many Web searches - and BTW - Roger the handcrafted construction!) the EVO Sports don't appear to be ventilated. In fact, they have an "absorbent" inner boot, which would seem to snuff out the benefit of any air circulation whatsoever??!! None of the Frey Daytona boots show any ventilation on this site, or I'd probably have bought a pair by now.

Ack! Am I missing something? :huh:

Ack!  Am I missing something? :huh:

51382[/snapback]

You could black out the raised white letters on the Sidi Vertebra Airs, or What the hell, punch holes in the leather....but that may be tricky to do without ruining the boots integrety and your own as you go from clown to hobo. :grin: But seriously if done properly you could improve the ventilation...Which gets me thinking, where do they get perforated leather from, perforated cows??? :unsure:

Guest whart

I am always searching for the perfect boot, i have a couple pairs of the less expensive Daytona boots- the Winner is terrific for the money- cruiser boots- a little clunky, and the lacing thing really isn't as good as the tech-type boots; i've even had one pair of western boots (which i favor for street wear when i'm not riding) "converted" with thick rubber soles. BMW does offer a vented boot, not sure if this is current, or the only one in their line, or which company actually makes them (perhaps without the BMW branding) but,

shown below is the BMW product. Also, when you say Sidi Air, i'm not sure if you are referring to their racing style boot that's ventilated or the more conventional looking one shown below.

post-1750-1115929202_thumb.jpg

post-1750-1115929679_thumb.jpg

Alex, (yeah - sandals.  Frickin' hilarious... :glare:) you implied above that your Frey Daytona EVO Sports have ventilation, yet on their Web site (I'm already familiar with it from many many Web searches - and BTW - Roger the handcrafted construction!) the EVO Sports don't appear to be ventilated.  In fact, they have an "absorbent" inner boot, which would seem to snuff out the benefit of any air circulation whatsoever??!!  None of the Frey Daytona boots show any ventilation on this site, or I'd probably have bought a pair by now.

Ack!  Am I missing something? :huh:

If you mean ventilation , some holes in them ,well they don't have any.The Evo Sports is a more Sport boot and thogh comfy is not for everyday use-touring.

I can wear them every day but in order to preserve them I just limmit their use.

I felt my feet getting some air inside from somewhere and don't ask me,from where I just say my experience on this model.The carbon decor on the sides are see-through material and though that seem coated or so over,I suppose that's where it came from or? dunno?Zip fastener!?

As far as the other boots it is described in the site the only description I see about ventilation is this "clima inlay"

Better is to try any brand on your local dealer,one can have different feel or experience than other person.

Well anyway there are so many brands with boots, you can find something,most important is the quality and the protection, you can also drill some holes by yourself for extra ventilation if needed. ;) (just kidding :D heh)

:bier:

Guest ratchethack
You could... punch holes in the leather....but that may be tricky to do without ruining the boots integrety ... if done properly you could improve the ventilation...

51391[/snapback]

Been thinkin' about it, Dave. I have a set of "snap-in" cleated bicycle riding shoes that I had the same complaint about in hot weather, so I slotted out the bottoms with a router between 2 lengthwise "beams" in the arch that anchor the pedals. The open slot provides superb ventilation because it acts as a fresh air "pumping chamber" with each stroke. Works like a champ. But on a motorcycle boot, I'd be hesitant to hack up either tops or bottoms of new boots - for the same reasons you cited. I'd probably also regret cutting holes in the bottoms the first time I stepped in a puddle. :glare:

ratchet,

the boots i have are the sidi waterprof and i find them very nice and comfortable even in 90 degree/humid miami weather.

but ,the also make one with tiny holes , perforated leather all black ,carbon fiber , and i wear them and they are in fact cool.

but,if the temp. drops to say 66,you will have cold feet. big mistake.

i have a dainesse armored leather suit with tiny holes also,for miami,and it was a mistake.

reason----it is too hot for miami even in the summer ,and up north ,it is fine 78 to say 83. a very narrow range.i have to wear a paper jacket (bicycle type) underneath ,and also ,at times ,a rain jacket over the leathers .

so,what i am trying to say ,is that the perforated leather boots are ok within a narrow temp range.

i think and all weather boot is the best bet unless you get one of each.

my 2 bits....

fernando

Also, when you say Sidi Air, i'm not sure if you are referring to their racing style boot that's ventilated or the more conventional looking one shown below.

51422[/snapback]

The ones that Mike Stewart posted the link to.

perf.jpg

Might not look too bad if you blacked out all the clown makeup.

It would be tough to beat this boot for protection and coolness.

But a little too "cool" for old geezers not on a race track. :helmet:

Perhaps the street Air Sida that you showed offers good protection, comfort and better looks :ninja:

I have the Sidi Vertebra II (without ventilation) and they're very comfy for my long Goofy feet.

Living in Denmark means that you get your fair share of rain on a daily basis (actually, yesterday was the first day in a month that it wasn't pi..... down). They offer very good protection for your ancles, shins and toes but they may too Kenny Roberts for some? Afterall, a Guzzi is a sportsbike, right? :race:

Cheers

Søren

After reading unsolicisited comments and pictures of the boots after some horrendous crashes on a British forum, I went and bought these......

http://www.oxtar-usa.com/products/tcs_evo_ti.htm

I really don't give a damn what they look like. I got mine on sale for $167 US, they're the most comfortable bike boots I've ever owned, which really surprised me, and you can feel the air go through them at speed.

One guy who recommended them, totalled his CBR954 at a track day and had no foot injuries even though the boots were wrecked. Another guy slid over 150 feet after crashing his bike and had to buy new boots, but the Oxtars saved him from ANY foot injuries.

Guest ratchethack

Well, I've been forcing myself toward a selection for almost a week now. I got things narrowed down (with y'alls' help - thanks again - all your comments were helpful) to two different kinds of boots, either one of which I figure would be close enough to just what I want - but I can't find either one in stock locally, and I can't bring myself to buy boots over the Web without the ability to tromp around in 'em first. :angry: Sorry if this sounds a bit whiny. Dammit, somehow I got a twinge of Imelda Marcos just then. <_<

I'm looking at Sidi Strada Evo Air (my first preference) and Sidi Vertebra 2 Air Race boots. So anybody got any last minute opinions (of any kind) before I take a run up into "The Heart of Darkness" (Los Angeles, for anyone who cares, but doesn't savvy "LA") for the kind of shopping excursion that's properly and most strenuously avoided unless it's absolutely the last of last resorts - shudder - or maybe I'll just roll the dice and order up a pair. :grin:

Comments? I'm a-waitin' on the high value of your vast expertise. :notworthy:

Thanks again,

Ratchethack

After reading unsolicisited comments and pictures of the boots after some horrendous crashes on a British forum, I went and bought these......

http://www.oxtar-usa.com/products/tcs_evo_ti.htm

I really don't give a damn what they look like.  I got mine on sale for $167 US, they're the most comfortable bike boots I've ever owned, which really surprised me, and you can feel the air go through them at speed.

One guy who recommended them, totalled his CBR954 at a track day and had no foot injuries even though the boots were wrecked.  Another guy slid over 150 feet after crashing his bike and had to buy new boots, but the Oxtars saved him from ANY foot injuries.

52017[/snapback]

I may get these boots if I can find a good price will compliment my Timax gloves and Jacket, ICON rocks! not a fan of thier pants or boots tho. :moon: thier motorheads look OK but not much protection I can see. :nerd:

and I can't bring myself to buy boots over the Web without the ability to tromp around in 'em first. :angry: Sorry if this sounds a bit whiny.

Buying in person is smart.

I have tried on dozens of top rated boots and they pinch me here and there and here and there...Good Grief! A good fit is hard to find, and even one model and size may not fit the same.

You might try http://www.chaparral-racing.com/ :vomit: in Riverside.

I hate the place, but the selection is hard to beat.

I picked up my Sidi Sympatex there.

Also, a great place to shop for helmets.