Boot Recommendation Requested

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

I know exactly what I want, but haven't found what I'm lookin' for anywhere in a "road boot". I do all my riding where it seldom rains. When it does rain, I don't ride, so waterproof boots have no added value. They just make my feet sweat more, espacially when it's hot, which can be a significant part of the time.

I'm looking for a mid-high (8" or thereabouts) VENTED boot that offers a high degree of protection (I'll take moderate). I don't want laces for safety reasons. Oh - I won't wear anything on my feet that looks like it came off a dead clown or a lead singer from a '80's "Hair Band". Hmmmm......is that redundant? <_<

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ratchethack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for something of the same.

I have a pair of Sidi Symaptex that are great in wet weather below 60F and a pair of vinyl raceboots that I thought were leather. :blush:

I need something as you described.

Sidi's Vertebra 2 air says it is good for sunny warm weather, but it has raised white letters...

Bates leather carries some boots that appear not to be vented, but not water proofed either.

rrboots-a.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/

I have worn Alpinestars for several years- most comfortable boots I have ever had and also great protection.

My first pair of GP Techs protected my feet during a trip across the Australian continent, including the hottest part of the Outback and my feet were comfortable in those conditions.

They will eventually leak if it pisses down but you don't seem too worried about that.

Guy :helmet:

I wear Double H boots with the traction sole, They work great but I used to have a cruiser I've seen the new redwings and they look like they would work great not really a sport bike boot either of them but they look better once you're off the bike in say a coffee shop or maybe a hair salon? than the silly sidi or outragous rocket boots rice racers wear. just my :2c:

After years of ill fitting German Para boots I've now got flat feet & a pair of Alpinestars SMX. Work great, well made, comfortable, vented but I don't know if vents work - this is Wales....don't really get that hot, looks like good protection....and really, really comfortable. And they're comfortable too - I mean you can walk about in them...all day.

KB :sun:

I ussualy wear a Sidi Strada boots , the simple model that are waterproof (but that's not the issue -I know)and I also have a Frey-DAYTONA superprotective EVO -sports Model5a_evosportsgtx_evo.gif The special about the EVO models is that the inner shoe is differend and partially (Carbon-Cevlar half shoe in the Sports and whole Carbon shoe at the Security ones)evosports_innen.gifAnd that's the best quality protection one can get and without being looking like you came out of a circus.

After that all the models of the Daytona are not looking fancy but they do have style and TOP built quality from top to bottom (Leathers and protection).I still have my first Daytona-winner model after6years- saved also my feet from a terrible accident in the past.

Well see some models here:Frey-Daytona--NO gore-tex these are the non waterproof.

Frey-DAYTONA waterProof

:2c: HIGHLY RECOMENDED

Sooner or latter gonna get yet another pair TravelStar or Roadstar or whatever else feels confy for more everyday use.

This might not be the type of boot you are looking for but I use the Red Wing (Worx) slip on. See picture and web site ( http://www.rdwngshoestore.com/detail.asp?product_id=6499 ). I like it because it is made of SympaTex Allweather material (which is waterproof), has a steel toe, oil/slip resistant sole (for setting your foot down at that traffic light), and wears confortable enough to walk around in it all day (I mean workers work it them all day don't they?).

For some reason (probably from watching my dad who was raised in the depression era) I try to buy a muti-use item. But I am guilty in some areas. For instance, you should see my garage...I have a couple of bicycle helmets, a snow boarding helmet, a rock climbing helmet, 5 different models of MC helmets....jeez, am I the victim or an accomplice? Though it wouldn't fit our commercialized economy model, I hope for a day when one helmet fits all activities.

Sorry, got off the topic there a little bit, but that is why I like my multi-use boots.

Bates leather carries some boots that appear not to be vented, but not water proofed either.

rrboots-a.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-boots/

51279[/snapback]

I have been using the Bates boots since 1989. They are tight at first but once broken in you can wear them all day long. My first pair lasted 10 years, had be resoled twice, had the zippers replaced once. My 2nd pair has gone 4 years and now needs to be resoled.

I wanted a replacement boot that has more ankle protection so I just ordered a pair of Sidi Strada Tepor Evo boots for the street and the Sidi Vertigo boots for the track.

Check out:

http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm

Good luck,

Mike

This might not be the type of boot you are looking for but I use the Red Wing (Worx) slip on.  See picture and web site ( http://www.rdwngshoestore.com/detail.asp?product_id=6499 ).  I like it because it is made of SympaTex Allweather material (which is waterproof), has a steel toe, oil/slip resistant sole (for setting your foot down at that traffic light), and wears confortable enough to walk around in it all day (I mean workers work it them all day don't they?).

For some reason (probably from watching my dad who was raised in the depression era) I try to buy a muti-use item.  But I am guilty in some areas.  For instance, you should see my garage...I have a couple of bicycle helmets, a snow boarding helmet, a rock climbing helmet, 5 different models of MC helmets....jeez, am I the victim or an accomplice?  Though it wouldn't fit our commercialized economy model, I hope for a day when one helmet fits all activities.

Sorry, got off the topic there a little bit, but that is why I like my multi-use boots.

51336[/snapback]

I like these better if they were just a little bit shorter But your riding pants should cover most of them anyway. So I think they look decent enough to wear off the bike and protect very well I have a pair of redwing work boots(for work) and they have lasted me 2 years strong and I beat the HELL out of them so they make really really good shoes :thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack

Thanks for the effort, Guys. But let me see if I can get you back to my main requirement - I'm looking for VENTED boots. I'm assuming this means non-waterproof, unless somebody has an alien technology I'm not aware of. :huh2:

The venting part is non-negotiable, as I'm just not comfortable without some airflow to my feet in warm temperatures. I've been riding with a semi-cheesy pair of Frank Thomas vented boots for a year. They're OK temp-wise because of the venting, though it's pretty limited. This was the only reason I bought 'em. But they don't offer much support or protection, and they're kinda like floppy after-ski boots to walk on. :bbblll:

Care to give it another shot? I'm begging you... (think cool, man!) :rasta:

Thanks again!

Ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

Mike, I've been looking at the Sidi Airs for a long time. Functionally, they would seem to fill the bill. I'll bet they'd provide great protection and I'll bet they're comfortable too - even in the high desert & mountains where I do most of my riding.

I'm a Guzzi Geezer kind-of-a-Guy. As such, I'm demanding, sophisticated, and I always go first class. (ahem.) ...Well, I damn well appreciate the integrity of well-proven, classic, hand-built designs, anyway... :D

Frankly, it's the styling of the Sidi Airs that kills me. In the sense that Guzzis are modern-day anachronisms, I reckon I'm a bit of an anachronism myself. I'm more of an Altberg Guy, boot-wise. But in Pommyland, they craft their old-world classic hand-made boots for the cold and damp, 2 adjectives that NEVER apply to any part of my riding. I'll bet they're more water-tight than a frog's behind - but I'll bet I'd be dead miserable in 'em where I ride. :bbblll:

Maybe I just need to stifle my "no dead clown/hair band boots" gag reflex and go for it. I reckon the Sidi Airs would actually work pretty well in the heat with with my Vanson perforated leathers.

Anybody have any direct experience with Sidi Airs?

Thanks again in advance, I really DO appreciate all you Guys' input! :!:

Ratchethack

Ratchethack,

Last year I took the scenic way home on the way back from Iowa to the Bay Area California. I was riding a Jackal two up, fully loaded and had a wild hair to take Old Route 66 from I 10 to 29 Palms in July. At 9 AM it was 110 degrees :homer: . (not the brightest thing I have ever done in my life) We were in full leathers (I had my Bates boots on) and the heat was OK. I guess I was lucky to be on a Guzzi because it never missed a beat. Now I know why the small towns are deserted, there is nothing out there :homer:

I guess what I am trying to say is, it was so hot, I did not feel any discomfort in my feet.

Mike