Trying to write-up a faq

jrt

Hi Folks,

Here's a rough first draft of a 'FAQ' (ok, more like a manifesto) for those folks interested in buying a Le Mans or related. There's some holes in it, and some omissions. Download, read, and please post suggestions for clarification, additions or anything else. I'd love to add it in, then give it to Al to put into the faq section.

In particular, if you remember some of the differences in the model years, I'd like to include that.

I'm sorry- I had to put it in pdf format- I couldn't upload a txt file that anyone could modify. If you'd rather have a txt file, I can email it to you directly.

Thanks!

Jason

Guzzifaq.pdf

Great work Jason, a couple of issues for consideration. There was no mention of an '03 model. This is a problem child. With MG selling bikes like mine, the leftover '02 models but designated as 2003 models, as indicated by the number 3 in their VIN. Then following on with the "real" 2003 models, upgraded with the satin engine paint, ITI clocks and the front crossover, new pistons etc.

I have also noticed several postings regarding speedo drive issues, is this worth inclusion as well?

Rob

Great work Jason, a couple of issues for consideration. There was no mention of an '03 model. This is a problem child. With MG selling bikes like mine, the leftover '02 models but designated as 2003 models, as indicated by the number 3 in their VIN. Then following on with the "real" 2003 models, upgraded with the satin engine paint, ITI clocks and the front crossover, new pistons etc.

I have also noticed several postings regarding speedo drive issues, is this worth inclusion as well?

Rob

51319[/snapback]

BTW: Although there may also have been a few oddball holdovers spanning the model year change, the only model that consistently seems to be an "02 spec 03 model" is the 03 V11 Naked

And Jason, I'd like to just say that I HATE PDF FILES :rolleyes: ....as I can't edit the damned thing :bbblll:

Any chance you can attach it as text, or similar? :D

al

Without having read your document all the way through yet, I offer the following from a post I made to Wildguzzi a week ago. Feel free to use whatever you find helpful:

*sigh* .... I really need to just keep a copy of the "what's the differences between model year XX and YY" treatise somewhere so I can just cut/paste the thing Laughing

No worries though Razz

OK, I'll keep it brief, and will miss some things in the process:

- 00-01(except 01 RM): short red frame, faster turn-in, some complain too twitchy while others love, silver engine/drivetrain, slightly lower clip-ons mounted(but rise above) upper triple, flakier relays, narrower rear rim(4.5inch), old "round hole" front rotors more prone to warping

- 02(incuding 01 RM): front half of frame lengthened a bit that slowed steering(but can be brought back to almost par with an 00 by the right tire choice like a Pirelli Diablo) supposedly adding high-speed stability, added several new frame braces(front cradle, beside and behind trans) to stiffen the bike, defective black "fuzzy" textured engine/drivetrain paint, 5.5 inch rear wheel introduced, new current front rotors introduced, all new "clip on" bars now mounted above the triple, but at about the same height as the old ones(but not as adjustable downward now).

- 03+(not 03 V11 Naked, see 02): a lot changed, all for the better Wink

Things like:

- new larger forks, now with preload adjustment, also lighter larger diameter hollow axle

- new "satin" semi-gloss engine/drivetrain paint, that seems troublefree

- higher compression, with oil jet(splash?) cooled piston crowns

- front crossover reintroduced(shades of yesteryear) in front of alternator

- new in tank fuel system, good bye 00-02 vapor lock! hooray

- the "tank chin pad" is gone as of 03+ ...love it or hate it Rolling Eyes

- new black ITT?? gauges, supposedly more reliable that the white faced Veglia gauges of 00-02

...probably more, but I am writing this quickly.

For the 03+ non-LeMans bikes with bikini fairings, MG also changed how they mount. On the earlier bikes like a RM or Scura, the bikini fairing was mounted to the forks, tucked in "close" to the head of the bike, and turned with the bars. The 03+ bikes have their fairings mounted to the frame headtube via long goosneck bracket thing, and they stick out quite a bit further, and I don't believe they turn. It's just a matter of personal taste as to which you like better, but they do look different than older bikini faired V11 Sport models.

Well, I have to run... but those are some major "across the board" differences as I remember them offhand. There are also model specific differences such as paint schemes, suspension upgrades, etc...

al

Guest putt-meister

I would like to add a note about the speedo on the 02 - 03 V11 Naked. This may or may not be common knowledge. The original and replacement speedos on my bike did exactly the same. The bottom line is that the speedo indicates in MPH, the trip-odometer registers in miles but the odometer registers in 2KM increments. If you don't believe me and have one of these bikes, pull off and stop when the odometer just finishes turning to a new number and set the trip to zero. Drive the bike until the odometer just turns an additional "10 miles". You will find that the trip reads just over 12.4 miles or exactly 20KM. :wacko:

I would like to add a note about the speedo on the 02 - 03 V11 Naked. This may or may not be common knowledge. The original and replacement speedos on my bike did exactly the same. The bottom line is that the speedo indicates in MPH, the trip-odometer registers in miles but the odometer registers in 2KM increments. If you don't believe me and have one of these bikes, pull off and stop when the odometer just finishes turning to a new number and set the trip to zero. Drive the bike until the odometer just turns an additional "10 miles". You will find that the trip reads just over 12.4 miles or exactly 20KM. 

WOW I allways thought it was because the odometer took the inside line on the bends and therefore traveled less distance compared to the trip meter

I've always wanted to know, but never found out. What IS the wheel base on the '00 V11, and what IS the wheelbase on the '02 or whenever they lengthened it? I think the difference is like an inch (English please).

Also, what IS the rake and trail of the '00 as compared to the later models? I think the newer Lemans bikes are 25 degrees which is typical with a lot of sport bikes like the Suzuki SV1000 etc. The '00 is a little steeper than this. 24?

Does anyone know the real poop?

Does anyone know the real poop?

51479[/snapback]

Dave Richardson? Which reminds me, I need to start putting aside a fund to buy a copy of Guzziology for my own, if for no other reason than to be able to resolve these questions when they come up on this list! ;-)

Back to the topic at hand, the FAQ:

As I've been corresponding with someone who recently bought a pair of Sportis [yep, a pair: if you're interested in a Sporti, keep your eyes peeled, since he'll be selling the red one now that he found a yellow one...] about the differences, the following shorthand I've worked out with him:

---------

"Spot": Original carbeurated model developed by Dr. John @ Guzzi when the Daytona was delayed. Due to a poor choice of font for the graphix, the "Sport 1100" on the tail reads at first glance as "Spot," hence the nomenclature. Has the sexy CNC'd "porkchops" that were replaced by castings in later models.

"Sporti": Updated injected model offered the cure some of the problems experienced with the carb Sport due to the ram-air influencing fuel feed. The Spot, Sporti & Daytona RS are all based upon the original Sport styling [personally, some of the best looking bikes ever made], & share common features of transmission & wheel width, etc.

"Sportin": For "Sport inezzione il Nuovo," all the 2000+ spine frame derivatives (Sport, Le Mans, Ballabio, Scura, Coppa Italia, etc.) that are descended from the original Sports but with the 6-speed tranny developed while Guzzi was under Aprilia's

supervision.

"Quotads": While the Quota's are generally grouped with the Spine-frame Dr. John bikes [why? I dunno, maybe just for his being involved in their development?], they're truly perimeter frame designs. As such, the Breva and Griso share more "lineal descent" from the Quota than the spineys, yet *none* of these bikes can truly be considered to constitute a "family," since there's almost zero parts commonality.

--------

Hey, we're all Sportin now!

;)

:bike:

Another interesting observation by Dave Richardson was written up in the last MGNOC news.

I don't think it's worthwhile putting into this faq, but it will make some good rumor-mongering.

So, apparently MG had some issues with cam wear on the hydraulic valves. Richardson et al looked into this, as did the factory. It seems that lack of oil is a major contributor, and there appears to be a couple of solutions that are being applied by the factory- 1) new design on cam that has more holes in it so it lubes the followers better and 2) use a higher rated synthetic oil (sorry- I don't remember the grade, but I think it was SL or whatever the highest grade is). Now, the real interesting part is WHY there was a lack of oil, and it seems to stem from the oil-jet piston cooling that was added along with the new lifters. This contributes to a lower oil pressure at idle or low rpm, since the oil pump was never changed out to account for the new holes in the oil system. Richardson apparently has one test bike where he put an oil pump from a Centauro on it (it's higher capacity)- testing is on-going, but that bike hasn't failed yet. I don't know of any Sport (uh, Sportin) motors that suffer because of this, but I did think it was an interesting article.

Guest outofcontrol

I have been reading these forums for about a month now, researching my next MC purchase, and I want to thank you all for the info. I'm trying to figure out what the best V11 will be for my $$. Looks like the 03+(non-naked) will be my best bet. Based on what Al_R. states: different forks, pistons/oiler, engine paint, crossover, tank, and gauges.

Something my dealer mentioned that I haven't seen listed here is a reduction in vibration when Aprillia bought MG. I don't know if it's true, or for that matter when Aprillia implemented some "new technology" to reduce vibration. I've heard and read descriptions of "non at all" to "paint-shaker-like" about vibrations, and also that it goes away with time and fine tuning (throttle sync.).

1. So, if there was a specific change made to reduce vibration, do you know what year?

2. If I look at a bike and I see the lack of crossover on a 2003 naked, can I assume that it is a 2002 spec, and none of the other improvements were made? Or was this a gradual implementation throughout the year? Are there 2003 Nakeds with the 2003 improvements?

Thanks,

Kevin in Portland