MOTORRAD mag. writes Crap Rating on the SCURA R

Alex-Corsa

I am reading the German MOTORRAD magazine(Issue 10 - 29/4/2005.) that has a comparing test on the SCURA R Vs Hondra CB1300 Kawazaki ZRX 12 and the Susukuki 1200 S (I don't get well with Japanese names :grin: )

The fact that they give small point on the Scura on sections like the brakes Handling and some other things makes me very UPSET. Are these people uncapable of ribing a bike or they Just praise the Japan bikes?

Why don't they tell people hoe expencive are the parts on a Japan bike, why don't they tell them that after20 30K km their brake disks won't work anymore

why don't they know that plastic-rubber leaders on the breaks don't offer effective braking...and I can write much more simple but importand details that these far east bikes don't have. What they do have is, a cheap price, but what you pay is what you get.....Pheeww!

WTF if they want a proof of what's handling better or is more stable on turns

I will chalenge them , ...e112.gif

I will write them a email and place a bet, I need to win a second bike for free. :D:Dc007.gif

If you want by"popular demand" (LOL) I'll try scan and upload the grades page.

Well, many of these magazines offer themselves up to the Gods of ultimate speed and HP ratings, as that is what many main-stream MC customers are looking for....

Go read the RATM lyrics I posted on the "Americanize" thread, to this very point with regard to people's taste and fashion being driven by the markets themselves... as opposed to what people really need/want.

Anyway, no current Guzzi is going to stand up well if measured against these criteria and another more "modern" bike of similar displacement like the ones you listed, but we all know that owner of bikes like a Guzzi didn't buy them with those criteria in mind.

...the reviewer simply missed the point, or doesn't consider our criteria relevant. Don't sweat it ;)

I personally don't mind having a bike that most people:

1 - don't know exists

2 - don't like, and won't buy = unique

:D

al

...the reviewer simply missed the point, or doesn't consider our criteria relevant.  Don't sweat it  ;)

al

I understand what you're saying, well here is another story, it isn't the HP criteria

as well as the test wasn't a superbike shotout or so.

When it is said stability in the turns this is standard, How stable is the bike when in a turn, when it is said Handling it is also clear that is about handling

The premium advantage of all Guzzis is that they handle like they weight at least 15%off their weight (or more) and they are rock stable as well , especially with Ohlins on them.The same goes for brakes (that are badly rated compared to other Japan crap and yes they are compared to d'oro Brembos))or suspension ,Ohlins are by far the best (objectively as a fact).

So what I point out isn't that I wait for anyone to have the same citeria as mine but at least to offer an objective rating based on performance of the given Motorcycle as is, but Objective- not biased ;)

Conclusion is the reviewer probably wrote what he was told and or paid from the Japan importers to write, that's all and the story goes on and that's why good bikes can get burried and hidden from some people that they would buy them if they knew the truth. simple

Conclusion is the reviewer probably wrote what he was told and or paid from the Japan importers to write, that's all and the story goes on and that's why good bikes can get burried and hidden from some people that they would buy them if they knew the truth. simple

51458[/snapback]

whats some other sleeper bikes I should look into then? I'm always on the lookout for that bike to compliment me or my needs or my riding skills, sometimes lack of. Anyway I try to stay true to what I like not what the masses throw around I like a lot of the current jap bikes like the honda VFR, and many more

Are these people uncapable of ribing a bike or they Just praise the Japan bikes?

funny you should say that: I spoke yesterday with this motorbike journalist who was telling me his articles on major bikes were very often censored as you can't have a word out of place when it's about a BIG factory releasing an important bike.

Easy: because importers and shops place ads in the mag, they don't want their campaign to be ruined by some journo's diatribe...

Forget about "Motorrad". The worst bike mag in Germany! Even if a '83 BMW R90 was in the same test it would win.

51464[/snapback]

You are absolutely right. If they enter all the latest Jap crotch rockets and a Beemer in a comparison test there's no doubt that the Beemer will win. Motorrad is extremely biased towards the bikes from the Munich factory, so forget all about that magazine.

If you read moto-euro.com/, however, you'll see that the bike of the month is the V11 LE MANS NERO CORSA.

See what they write here:

We have decided to showcase some of our favorites models here on the official Moto-Euro Magazine website, on a Monthly basis giving you the opportunity to enjoy them as much as we do.

If you review this section on a Weekly basis, who knows what you'll see! "The Bike of the Month" will include everything from the latest releases from the major manufacturers to who knows, Maybe your bike?

Here's a chance to see your bike on the official Moto-Euro Magazine website. All you need to do is submit a photo and a brief summary of your pride and joy, and throughout the weeks we will post these here for everyone to enjoy.

Please send your information to:

"Bike of the Month" at: comm@moto-euro.com

All candidates will be notified via email when their bike is posted to our site.

Moto-Euro Magazine

Bike of the Month

V11 LE MANS NERO CORSA

The DNA of victory.

The first glance thrills you and leaves no room for doubt. The chequered flag is part of the livery of the V11 Le Mans Nero Corsa and speaks of a long and glorious racing tradition, a tradition of world-beating creativity and personality that all Moto Guzzi enthusiasts treasure in their minds and souls.

The heart of this aggressive yet fun to ride motorcycle could only be the latest version of Guzzi’s 90° V-Twin with the traditional capacity of 1,064 cc, four valves, classical pushrod and rocker arm valve timing and air cooling.

Its 9.8:1 compression ratio, however, lets the cat out of the bag.

This is a completely new engine, with a special balancer pipe between the two cylinders for improved breathing and more smooth power than ever before. This powerful engine is also environmentally friendly thanks to a three way catalytic converter with Lambda probe oxygen sensor to reduce emissions.

A sports style ride is ensured by a chassis that includes a fully adjustable Öhlins upside down fork with TIN coated stanchions and a fully adjustable Öhlins monoshock at the rear.

Sports oriented riders will also appreciate the Bitubo steering damper fitted as standard. This top quality configuration guarantees precision entry into bends, great stability on the straight and tremendous comfort, even when riding with a passenger.

Lovers of high speed, long distance touring will be delighted by the effectiveness of the aerodynamic half fairing and the full range of information provided on essential functions by elegant instrumentation with easy to read black graphics.

P.S. all you bike owners can have your bike displayed here, just send it to us with a short summary...

comm@moto-euro.com

Copyright © 2000 Moto-Euro Magazine. All rights reserved.

That's ok, ain't it?

Søren

I am reading the German MOTORRAD magazine(Issue 10 - 29/4/2005.) that has a comparing  test on the SCURA R Vs Hondra CB1300 Kawazaki ZRX 12 and the Susukuki 1200 S (I don't get well with Japanese names :grin: )

The fact that they give  small point on the Scura on sections like the brakes Handling and some other things makes me very UPSET. Are these people uncapable of ribing a bike or they Just praise the Japan bikes?

If you want by"popular demand" (LOL) I'll try scan and upload the grades page.

51446[/snapback]

While I'd like to see the article, it wouldn't do me much good since I don't read German... ;)

Besides, in any test of a V11 Guzzi against any of the full-on Jap hypersports, it's just going to come up as "Goose for dinner." Same thing if they took a Harley to the track; it's not a track bike, it's not going to win the (race) test!

I'd really like to see them include an average rider [say.... like ME! :D ] as a separate category in a test, to see what the feedback for each bike is for "real life" situations. I imagine it would go something like this:

Honda: "Nice bike. Great fit & finish. Liked it."

Kawasaki: "Nice bike. Loved the motor; power on tap! Liked it."

Suzuki: "Nice bike. Looked great, but feels a little 'cheap.' Strong motor. Liked it."

Moto Guzzi: " Nice bike. Killer looks, kinda quirky, but oozes 'soul' that the others just don't have. Motor gets breathless on top compared to the others, but I don't care to lose my license anyway. Love the feel overall. I want this bike!"

:thumbsup:

Ride on!

:mg:

While I'd like to see the article, it wouldn't do me much good since I don't read German... ;)

Besides, in any test of a V11 Guzzi against any of the full-on Jap hypersports, it's just going to come up as "Goose for dinner." Same thing if they took a Harley to the track; it's not a track bike, it's not going to win the (race) test!

I'd really like to see them include an average rider [say.... like ME!  :D ] as a separate category in a test, to see what the feedback for each bike is for "real life" situations. I imagine it would go something like this:

Honda: "Nice bike. Great fit & finish. Liked it."

Kawasaki: "Nice bike. Loved the motor; power on tap! Liked it."

Suzuki: "Nice bike. Looked great, but feels a little 'cheap.' Strong motor. Liked it."

Moto Guzzi: " Nice bike. Killer looks, kinda quirky, but oozes 'soul' that the others just don't have. Motor gets breathless on top compared to the others, but I don't care to lose my license anyway. Love the feel overall. I want this bike!"

:thumbsup:

Ride on!

51535[/snapback]

Hoist that Rag brother :thumbsup: . Its how I felt when I was jumping from bike to bike in the dealership tho I didn't get to test that many :bike: . I kinda felt I didn't need to if you read enough reviews and get what you need you'll never regret it I wish more 'got it' Scary note: I saw a BMW adventuer going down the road and it kinda made me want it... like its so off and ugly its almost attractive. I think theres something wrong with me. :vomit: At least I'm not rich enough to drive a BMW right now so I'm safe. :ninja:

Moto-Euro thinks the Nero Corsa has a "completely new engine" eh? :huh:

While I appreciate a good honest review, that article sounds like "the other end of the spectrum" as compared to the Motorrad article... and is complete fluff, if not simply misrepresentative :bbblll:

Oh, and they don't even have the right photo with the articlel. It's not a Nero Corsa, just a black LeMans :rolleyes:

Moto-Euro thinks the Nero Corsa has a "completely new engine" eh?  :huh:

While I appreciate a good honest review,  that article sounds like "the other end of the spectrum" as compared to the Motorrad article...    and is complete fluff, if not simply misrepresentative  :bbblll:

Oh, and they don't even have the right photo with the articlel.  It's not a Nero Corsa, just a black LeMans  :rolleyes:

51574[/snapback]

Perhaps you should take them up on their offer:

" all you bike owners can have your bike displayed here, just send it to us with a short summary...

comm@moto-euro.com "

But then again they might post HeliJim's MGS01 photo with your bike's description! :lol:

Anyway, I liked the fluff. We get enough of the bike's problems on this board.

And besides, it is the most completely new engine since the Sporti! Balance pipe, higher compression and oil sprayed on pistons, a Revolutionary change for Guzzi! But I guess that make the Breva engine even more completely new...albeit Devolutionary.

Did anybody see the latest Moto-Euro Guzzi at the Arizona Rally?

I thought I read that they were supposed to have something nice there. I don't know whether it was the old FBF modded bike with more mods or what...

More inportantly from my piont of view is the Scrua R exists and will be going into/is in production. Some of the current rumours was everthing but the Griso and Breva's would be dropped from production. Now about the single seat version :D ..............

More inportantly from my piont of view is the Scrua R exists and will be going into/is in production. Some of the current rumours was everthing but the Griso and Breva's would be dropped from production. Now about the single seat version  :D ..............

51576[/snapback]

So they are going to make the Griso? Throw a new style of pipes on that badboy and you'll have sumptin only thing I don't like is megaphone style and look what it has. If they make that I might be persuaded to get one when my V11 goes tits up. Maybe :huh2:

:ninja:

Not having Motorad for sale where I live I can't talk specifically about their article. One thing I can say about most big bike mags, is that they have to compare the bikes in a way that can be put into print, and performance numbers are it. As a Moto Guzzi, with it's pushrods, air cooling, and 2 valves, it simply hasn't got a chance of ever rating well against anything in it's engine class, except maybe, MAYBE, the smaller engined Buell twin.

What is much more difficult to put into print is the "feel" of these things, the feedback, that any one of us would find very tough to explain to someone who hadn't ridden one before. You would have to give him the keys for an hour, where he would come back, and only then give his head a nod of understanding.

Moto Euro magazine is unique in that it offers a Euro only slant, which is kind of refreshing. My next point I will have to be carefull with as a very good friend of mine is an editor/contributor with this mag. Moto Euro does 'appear' to follow the same trend of pandering to their advertisers as all the rest of the magazines, as noted Moto Guzzi advertises more in this mag than any other that I've seen on my kitchen table. They would be making a financial miscalculation if they didn't. Advertizing is the cash cow of any monthly/quarterly. We here, with our specific views in favour of our Moto Guzzi's, should bear this in mind.

Not to move the theme of this thread farther away than it is, but as we wax poetic about the lovely old lump v-twin that Guzzi uses, I will point out that for the last 30 yrs Guzzi has more or less had to use this engine, not able to afford the costs to start up a new engine layout. Guzzi has used many, many layouts as we all know. Alas, these 30 odd years have typecast Guzzi, much like Harley, and to a smaller degree BMW. Their next engine will have to be a transverse [gosh I hope this argument doesn't start up again] v-twin, with liquid cooling, 4 valves, shaft drive, etc. It will not measure up against the Japanese v-twins, but will measure up nicely against other twins.

Ciao, Steve G.