Second bike

DeBenGuzzi

A perfect example for you to use bshpilot, is the recent BMW ownership of a good buddy of mine.

In early 2003, after test riding literaly every possible bike [at my urging, as they were leaning towards a Hinckley Triumph tourer] which would work for long distance high speed two-up sport touring riding with luggage, he and his wife chose a new K1200GT, in my eye a great choice, as at the time, the only other choice he would have gone for was the Yamaha FJR 1300, a choice I would have approved as well. But as it had no ABS in 2003, so it was the Beemer. After 1 year and 2 inches of warranty issue reports, he had had it. After threatening lawyers and other nasties, they offered to take the machine back, and give him a new bike, an '04 model, with new warranty, which is what they have now. This machine so far has been trouble free, feels better built, and is as the other one, a lovely machine for their purpose.

I hear rumour that in a cost cutting measure, BMW fired their quality control staff in 2002, but hired them back late '03. While I can't confirm this, I would hope this is the reason for the problem with his bike, rather than poor design.

Some of the things that went wrong I think are in design. BMW still uses 1 sided oil seals, and this bike in question had it's rear main engine seal leak, twice, front and rear gearbox seal leak once each. Other silly things, like the fuel level indicator light burning out. Not such a big deal you say, until one finds out that the entire upper wiring harness must be changed, as the lights are hard wired into the harness! The list was a long one, full of bad quality design and build, and if the machine had not been on warranty, it surely would have emotionally and financially broken most men.

Makes the Guzzi relay problem pale!

P.S. Helicopter Jim, I offer my thanks to you for quoteing one of my heros, Winston Churchill.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have found the second bike I've been searching for, Not outragous, generous riding position (respectively speaking), Reasonable price(agin Respectively) Naked Like I'm also Drawn too from a Company that is more stable than the Sands Hotel AND the biggest selling factor is that it will be able to come with large touring bags almost identical to the Adventuer series out now.  :P:

160bhp 94flt lbs (and can be imporved with open airbox and new exhaust)  :food:

Only 15kish tho  :unsure:

I know there are some BMW Buffs floating around on this board anyone have some thoughts or experience? I know ugly to one is a jewel to another.

Of coarse I'll have to sit on it and take it for a spin(if they let me) b4 I drop that kind of bank on a bike but I think I'm in love,.... for now  :wub:

51609[/snapback]

Bike magazine in the uk just tested the faired version, it went back in a truck cos the gearbox broke............

Bike magazine in the uk just tested the faired version, it went back in a truck cos the gearbox broke............

51849[/snapback]

Yeah I read up on it and they are having problems they haven't noticed on the Naked R because of the different gear box and fuel injection which are the 2 big problems on the S version. So I'm still going to wait and look up rider reviews and so forth. Its not set in stone but if it runs on rails and can mount up nice big cases like they say then I'm all over it. I don't need a faired version my ass is too big fairings seem like they do nothing I'd need a full windshield then I notice. So for the naked I'll go for the looks grunt and storage over top end and wind protection.

Funny I also read that they had some Cam shaft problems and BMW insisted it was a 3rd party problem on a select number of bikes so they pushed back the 1200s release. I laughed it up having read most of this thread b4 that I think I know whats really wrong they f'd up and won't admit it. <_>

and a British designed, Japanese engined, German built big single.....

[Rolf Harris mode]

Do you know what it is yet?

The Seymor Powell designed MZ scorpion.

and back on thread - I quite like the BMW R1100S, when they first came out they hung them on the wall at the NEC show and they looked quite odd from that angle so went off them a bit. Come to like the look of them. I'm aware that they must be about to be changed. But I'm monogominis(?) so wouldn't have second simular roadbike anyway.