Rear wheel removal

richard100t

I'm getting ready to remove my rear wheel & I need the proper allen head wrench to get the pin out. I'm sure its metric but does anyone know what the size is? Oh btw since I'm removing the rear drive I've already removed the top bolt that attaches the rear drive to the linkage thing (not sure what it is or called). Anyone have any advice on the further removal process? I already know theres a shim in the rear drive I need to watch for...does it only fit right in one position? Hmm I should really clean that rear caliper while the wheels off too. Thats another thread though lol :D

Richard, when I removed my rear wheel I took it off in one piece with the bevel box. I dropped the brake caliper (6mm allen key) which made it easier to remove the wheel assembly. I left the torque arm on the bike, undoing it at the bevel box. The hex key for the axle is 14mm, it should be all in your toolkit. I hope this is of some help.

Rob

Richard,

I think it is a 10mm hex that is needed.

You should remove the rear wheel first and then the final drive assembly.

To remove the rear wheel once the bike's rear is in the air, remove the rear brake bracket anchor from the left side of the swing arm. Next remove the rear axle nut. Now slide the axle out about 1/2 way. This will allow you to slide the rear caliper bracket down and forward to remove the caliper and bracket assy. from the rear brake disc. You can just let the bracket and caliper hang or tie it up out of the way. Now slide the rear axle out about 2/3 of the length. You will have to hold the wheel up to keep it at 90 degrees to the ground. Slide the wheel to the left and it should clear the final drive and rear axle. The small spacer is about 1/2 inch. long and goes between the final drive and wheel. It will sometimes stick to the wheel or final drive. Just look for it so you know where the little devil goes. Now to remove the final drive, just pull the axle out all the way while you are holding the final drive with the other hand. (this is easy since your drive shaft is not connected to your final drive anymore). Please note that the drive shaft has a mark between the two ends. This is a reference mark to keep the driveshaft in phase. If the drive shaft becomes separeted at the splines, just make sure the marks are lined up when the shaft halfs are slid back together. The mark is usually in white paint. Also when going back together, might as well grease the zirk fittings on the drive shaft. Make sure you get the driveshaft bolts torqued correctly, they have a tendency to work loose.

I think I covered everything but if you have a question, just ask.

Mike

It's probably 14mm as my 01/02 LM is 14 mm too.

My Guzzi toolset came with a small 14mm Allen key. Stick it it the rear axle Allen head and you can use a normal 14mm wrench.

52959[/snapback]

So THATS what that things for :!: Thanks Jaap I'll try that right now.

Richard,

I think it is a 10mm hex that is needed. 

You should remove the rear wheel first and then the final drive assembly. 

To remove the rear wheel once the bike's rear is in the air, remove the rear brake bracket anchor from the left side of the swing arm.  Next remove the rear axle nut.  Now slide the axle out about 1/2 way.  This will allow you to slide the rear caliper bracket down and forward to remove the caliper and bracket assy. from the rear brake disc.  You can just let the bracket and caliper hang or tie it up out of the way.  Now slide the rear axle out about 2/3 of the length.  You will have to hold the wheel up to keep it at 90 degrees to the ground.  Slide the wheel to the left and it should clear the final drive and rear axle.  The small spacer is about 1/2 inch. long and goes between the final drive and wheel.  It will sometimes stick to the wheel or final drive.  Just look for it so you know where the little devil goes.  Now to remove the final drive, just pull the axle out all the way while you are holding the final drive with the other hand.  (this is easy since your drive shaft is not connected to your final drive anymore).  Please note that the drive shaft has a mark between the two ends.  This is a reference mark to keep the driveshaft in phase.  If the drive shaft becomes separeted at the splines, just make sure the marks are lined up when the shaft halfs are slid back together.  The mark is usually in white paint.  Also when going back together, might as well grease the zirk fittings on the drive shaft.  Make sure you get the driveshaft bolts torqued correctly, they have a tendency to work loose.

I think I covered everything but if you have a question, just ask.

Mike

52916[/snapback]

I seem to have an extra spacer left over & I'm not sure where it goes. Its about 1 inch long with the small hole in it. It looks just like the one that goes into the rear drive. Since you just finished with the job I was hoping you would know where it goes.

How big is the hole in the spacer? Is the hole the same size as the rear axle?

The only spacer I know of that is about 1 inch long is the one that goes on the right side of the final drive unit that the needle bearing rides on. Could it be from your old final drive unit? The spacer that goes between the wheel and final drive is about 1/2 inch long.

A picture would do wonders here :grin:

Anyone have a parts diagram of the rear drive/wheel assy?

Mike

How big is the hole in the spacer? Is the hole the same size as the rear axle?

The only spacer I know of that is about 1 inch long is the one that goes on the right side of the final drive unit that the needle bearing rides on.  Could it be from your old final drive unit?  The spacer that goes between the wheel and final drive is about 1/2 inch long.

A picture would do wonders here :grin:

Anyone have a parts diagram of the rear drive/wheel assy?

Mike

52997[/snapback]

Did you send me the spacer with the hole in it with your rear drive? If you did that would explain a lot lol yes I have 2 identical spacers & washers. That will be a relief if I just have an extra spacer

Did you send me the spacer with the hole in it with your rear drive? If you did that would explain a lot lol yes I have 2 identical spacers & washers. That will be a relief if I just have an extra spacer

52998[/snapback]

I sent the right outer spacer and washers with the unit. The inner spacer (between the wheel and final drive) the 1/2 inch long one, is sitting on my work bench.

Now, I need a drink :drink: lol,

Mike

Oh yeah,

Don't forget to fill the final drive with your favorite fluid. And, with the rear axle tighened up, make sure the rear wheel turns freely.

And, never, never dump the clutch again! :blush:

Mike

I sent the right outer spacer and washers with the unit.  The inner spacer (between the wheel and final drive) the 1/2 inch long one, is sitting on my work bench.

Now, I need a drink :drink:  lol,

Mike

52999[/snapback]

OK then I had assumed (bad idea) that since you hadnt sent that inner spacer that you probably hadnt sent then other spacer either. As long as I just have an extra spacer thats a load off my mind, I was really thinking I was losing my mind! Enjoy your drink tonight :bier: I have a busy day tomorrow. I need to take that ujoint off to get the pinion in all the way I think. I'll try just removing the screws first. Damn I wish I hadnt quit drinking as I could really use one right now. Oh well one drink is too many & 1000 wouldnt be enough lol