Battery for 2002 LeMans

quazi-moto

Hello all,

It seems that the original battery in my '02 LeMans is cooked. It was probably due to overcharging. I had taken the battery out last winter and brought it up to my father's house where I left it in his heated basement. He decided to "do me a favor" and put it on a trickle charger for four hours at four amps! Now it appears to be toast. Anyway, what is a good replacement battery that will provide good service in a 2002 LeMans?

Yep, Odyssey are a very good battery

I've not had to replace the one in my V11 yet but have experienced them in older Guzzis and they are brilliant, lots of power and very long lasting, ok they are more expensive than other types but in the long run well worth it. When the time comes to replace mine thats what I'll choose.

They are a sealed gel type battery so if you need to charge it (e.g. if not riding for a long time) it needs a charger that specifies it is for this type of battery.

Here is their website although they have outlets dotted around the world.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Mal :helmet:

Battery failure is a known fault. There is a Factory service bulletin regarding "short lifespan of the ESA SPARK 500E battery" (original fitment). Dealer replacement as Jaap says: YTZ12S.

The original SPARK 500E battery is manuf by Hawker (it's on label) but I have been told by a dealer that it is spec'd for auxilary lighting or somesuch use & looks like Guzzi were just cutting costs with a low spec'd battery not up to the job...

I have replaced with Hawker Odyssey.

KB :sun:

The Spark 500 has the exact same specs as the Hawker Genesis and so should be avoided even though it works fine, it is underbuilt for the abuse that our bikes put it through and "not recommended for powersports"

Instead use what the others have recommended, the Hawker Odyssey, The Yuasa, or possibly a Westco sealed battery.

I don't think the Yuasa number that they gave is available in the US.

This spring I had my N/C computer charger toasted AND my Hawker flat the same time. I decided to use my old 4A automotiv cheapy anyway. The trick was to clamp on a front bulb in parallel so that the voltage at the poles was always around 14.6 volts. It was risky but worked perfectly.

Hubert

Thanks Antonio and Jaap!

I updated my site with the Yuasa battery models.

Comparing the two Yuasa's the YTX12-BS is a little bigger, but about 10% lighter and 10% less powerful.

So, the YTX12-BS may be better for racers while the YTZ12-S is probably better for the rest of us...but the price and availability the final selling point :P

I like how the Yuasa don't require just the right charger, the way the Hawker's do.

...I like how the Yuasa don't require just the right charger, the way the Hawker's do....

Are you not sposed to use a trickle charger (Optimate) on the Hawker Odyssey? Do you use a 4 - 5 amp car type charger?

Thanks, KB :sun:

I am not sure what the correct way to charge a Hawker is.

Hawker used to recommend Deltran, maker of Battery Tender, but then Deltran and Hawker stopped recommending each other.

Deltran said something about the Hawker battery not being suitable for power sports(motorcycles) because the required charging voltage is too high.

Hawker said the Deltran don't meet their specs anymore.

You can see a thread with quotes from both companies, here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4993&hl=

In any case the Hawker should not receive more than 15 Volts durring charging.

Most automotive chargers will exceed the 15Volts.

I know my 2Amp/6Amp automotive charger will exceed 15 V even when set to 2 Amps.

I suspect you would be OK if you sit their watching a Volt meter as it charges, but once it hits 15V you may only be partially charged.

But it seems to me that what would kill the battery is the Watts, not the Volts.

Hawker recommends the following chargers:

TecMate AccuMate Pro 12V-7A-S Motion Pro Inc. 650-594-9600

Xenotronix SX 90-1 12V, 6A Xenotronix 800-624-9366

Motocell™ 693601 12V, 3A Custom Chrome 800-729-3332

Battery Defender ACC-1206WB 12V, 3A BatteryMart.com 800-405-2121

I went ahead and bought the Odyssey PC545. I checked the voltage out of the box and it was reading around 12.9 volts so I didn't charge it, instead I just went ahead and installed it in the bike. It cranks over fine, but now I have a different problem which seems to be either the throttle body or the injector for the left cylinder. The bike has no power and I'm getting banging in the exhaust. Woe is me.