tail light

BrianG

Then, check the second-last fuse in the fuse box. If it is NOT intact you will notice that the instrument back-lighting is gone, as well. Replace the fuse and try it, since you might have inadvertently shorted the wire during your tinkering. If it blows the fuse again, a short persists.

I had this issue after some minor tail work and luckily thought to read the Guzzi Tech archives "just in case". Turns out that the back-light bulb socket in the instruments frequently self-destruct, leaving the live wire against the housing.... ergo dead short-circuit.

Rather than start at the fuse and follow the wire from there I went straight to the instrument pod and those backlights. BINGO!

What could have been a multi-hour goose chase became just a few minutes of work.

Hope this helps!

Make sure your bulb is right side up otherwise you will getting full time brake light and tail fillament for the braking. (they did not make it Homer proof :homer: )

I had to repace my entire lamp...I simply bought a Buell taillight. Under $30 US KISS!

I went through many semi successful contact cleanings and reallignments...eventually the cleanings failed.

Perhaps I had a silicate buildup from all the silicone :huh2:

My plan is to take the old lamp and fill with a parabola of LEDs :grin:

Guest special K

I'm trying to figure out why my tail light works but the brake light will not come on. I'm really not sure if it has ever worked. After putting the tail section back toghether after minor mods, I thought I would check my brake light only to find it doesn't work. I have checked and double checked connections, still no brake light. Any ideas? :wacko::wacko: javascript:emoticon(':wacko:')

smilie

I'm trying to figure out why my tail light works but the brake light will not come on.  I'm really not sure if it has ever worked.  After putting the tail section back toghether after minor mods, I thought I would check my brake light only to find it doesn't work.  I have checked and double checked connections, still no brake light.  Any ideas?  :wacko:  :wacko: javascript:emoticon(':wacko:')

smilie

53956[/snapback]

Theres only one bulb that works both the brake & the tail light. I just replaced mine so I know. Remove the bulb and closely look at both filaments. I'll bet one is broken...

Theres only one bulb that works both the brake & the tail light. I just replaced mine so I know. Remove the bulb and closely look at both filaments. I'll bet one is broken...

53972[/snapback]

This really is one of those deals where you apply the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid). Having never failed to reach out and grab a big handful of stupidity myself when working on something, I'll go with Richards recommendation. Change the bulb. The simplest thing. Then, if it doesn't work - start checking the wiring connections both in the taillight assembly and in the wiring loom under the tailpiece. Don't forget, use both the foot and hand brakes to actuate the light just in case one of those has a malfunction. If you've had the front brake lever off for any reason, it's just real easy to loose the little ball bearing that actuates the micro-switch. I've also had the metal lug on the micro-switch break off rendering the front brake switch useless. The rear brake switch generally doesn't give problems unless you've been pressure washing the bike. But really, start with a new bulb.

I'm trying to figure out why my tail light works but the brake light will not come on.  I'm really not sure if it has ever worked.  After putting the tail section back toghether after minor mods, I thought I would check my brake light only to find it doesn't work.  I have checked and double checked connections, still no brake light.  Any ideas?  :wacko:  :wacko: javascript:emoticon(':wacko:')

smilie

53956[/snapback]

The others are right, check the bulb & fuse first. If you still have touble, it is a simple circuit. Get a cheap 12V test light from an auto parts or hardware store. Hook the clip to a good ground (battery - ) remove the bulb and probe the two terminals inside the socket. Be careful not to touch the sides of the socket with your probe because that is bulb ground and you will blow the fuse. One terminal should light the test light with the key on for your tail lamp and the other should light the light only with the brake applied. If they both work properly and your bulb is good, the trouble is on the ground side of the socket. You can check for a good ground by hooking your test light to battery + and touching the probe to the outside of the socket. It should light at all times. If not, make sure the socket is grounded. It the center contact does not light the test light with the brake applied, go to the switch with your test light. (rememver to go back to battery - with your test lamp clip) With the key on there should be power at one wire and the other should power up with the brake applied. It is unlikely that both brake switches are bad so your trouble probably is no power to the switches or a poor connection near the light unit. Hope this helps and is not too wordy.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest goosesport

I had tail light problems with my 01 V11 Sport. A bad ground was one problem but it linked into other electrical problem. All was solved with a clean up of as many connections as I could reach and new relays. Yes, the bad old relays again.

Larry

Hampshire UK

About that problem I can offer you as well my opinion.

Well if there is no cfuse or cable connections fault , you should try if it is the buld that's not doin its job. Well you can try this at first anyway.

I had a bigger problem on mine since the bulb didn't make a good connection and after some motor vibrations the light was totally off.

Then I have replaced the blub and did this:

WIth a soldering Iron I have added solder and made the connection-balls of the bulb bigger in size.

Well the problem was routed to the base of the light but that helped solving them.

Actually your problem may not be that, it may just be that you're placing the bulb

at wrong side.... let me make this clear. just place again your bulb 180 rotated base ;)

I also did this on mine but it is up to you to try it on yours . I have now a LED bulb after doing the same with that and found the right spot where it worked perfectlly and added a couple of drops of epoxy glue in its base. Now is rock solid in the right spot and with 100,000 hours lasting of working time it better stay this way there.

:mg:

Trouble shooting tail light?

Turn the light on so that you can see it better.

Use a shotgun. If you stand close enough, I don't really see how you can miss.

If you still fail, go for the headlight instead.