Pawl Spring snaps - I knew immediately

dbdicker

Guest ratchethack
the boss on the pawl arm in the machine WAS THE EXACT SAME SIZE as the replacement arm I bought to be swapped in

56215[/snapback]

Dan, what size is that?

Dan, just cos it's a replacement part doesn't mean it's the correct replacement part! like Ratchethacks asks....what size is that? Guzzi have a service bulletin out about these breakages acknowledging incorrect sized boss - says replace spring & pawl arm. Measure it first tho!

KB

Dan, what size is that?

56223[/snapback]

Dan, just cos it's a replacement part doesn't mean it's the correct replacement part! like Ratchethacks asks....what size is that? Guzzi have a service bulletin out about these breakages acknowledging incorrect sized boss - says replace spring & pawl arm. Measure it first tho!

KB

56229[/snapback]

Sorry for the late response, out of town for a few days.

Yes, measured with a digital caliper, both bosses were the "correct" 15mm. I put the newer arm in anyway, hoping for better luck.

Dan

OH my.

You guys are GOOD. Apparently, I got a replacement arm with the same dimensions as the wrong stock arm. I think I ordered the part mentioned in one post for the replacement arm number: 04 23 52 01. There is another part number referenced in a different post: 04 23 51 01. Perhaps the number I used referenced the old, stock, wrong arm? I did not think to measure the boss of the new arm and my mechanic mentioned in passing that they were the same size. I NEVER thought that they were the same (wrong) size! But they are.

Well, back to the drawing board. I'll order a new correct arm, wait for this spring to break and do it again. Or maybe, I'll just do it again...........why wait for it to break.

Bugger.

....both bosses were the "correct" 15mm...

....they were the same size......the same (wrong) size! .....

:wacko: Confused??? You bet!!!

Dan, my understanding is that the correct spec pawl arms carry same, original part no as wrong spec ones: 04 23 51 01

KB :sun:

OK, new update.

Called all around the US parts guys; MPH, Harper's, Motointernational.

Apparently, the part number IS NOT sufficient to insure you get the arm with the 15mm boss. There are still old arms floating around with the wrong 16mm boss under both part numbers: 04235101 AND 04235201.

I spoke to someone very knowledgable of the problem in Seattle at MotoI. He is now trying to find out how to deliver me a part that is sure to be the correct 15mm size. He measured the boss size of a part he had on the shelf, number 04 23 51 01, and found it to be the incorrect 16mm size. As you know, I ordered a replacement arm 04 23 52 01 from Harper's MotoGuzzi and received another fresh arm ALSO with the incorrect 16mm boss size.

HOO BOY.

Love them italian bikes, eh?

They really SHOULD HAVE done a recall on this.......................

They really SHOULD HAVE done a recall on this.......................

56386[/snapback]

What is also unfortunate is that the average MG dealer that primarily focuses more on other bike lines (I don't consider the ones you mentioned "average") still just replaces the spring from parts stock and doesn't even know of the boss replacement. I've already had one bad experience like this when mine broke the first time. :(

OK, listen up, let's hope this is the LAST post on this issue.

Todd Haven at MPH cycles in Houston has solved the arm problem at least for us in the US. He pulled the parts list from an 02 V11 and the pawl arm had the incorrect part number: 04 23 51 01

He also has pulled the parts list for an 04 Ballabio and confirms the new part number for the correct, updated, 15mm boss arm: 01 23 51 30. Both have the same parts number for the offending spring.

IT IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE THAT IF YOU ORDER THE OLD PART NUMBER THAT YOU WILL GET THE NEW 15MM BOSS. There are old arms floating around as well as new ones with the old part number. ORDER THE ARM USING THE NEW PART NUMBER: 01 23 51 30. Todd has done a few swaps of 02's using the new arm and it has solved the trans spring problem.

OK, let's hope this closes the case, at least for replacements. Meanwhile, I have spent over $300 replacing my arm with another FAULTY arm and will have to do it again, at some point, for another couple of hundred. If I didn't love the bike......................

Dan