Summer is here...

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Just been re-reading the detonation threads. Now that the weather is hot, just a little traffic or lane splitting on the infamous M25 to get the engine hot and you need to ride it like its a 2 stroke!

Looks like it's another side to its "character"......

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that the bike doesnt run as well near 100 degree temps. It makes some pinging sounds if you roll on the throttle from low rpms. It doesnt do that at night when its cooler. Maybe it just needs the pc or a custom map :huh2: Mine ran like a dream last night :mg::notworthy:

Mine ran like a dream last night

54943[/snapback]

too much information, R100

Guest Nogbad
I've noticed that the bike doesnt run as well near 100 degree temps. It makes some pinging sounds if you roll on the throttle from low rpms. It doesnt do that at night when its cooler. Maybe it just needs the pc or a custom map  :huh2: Mine ran like a dream last night :mg:  :notworthy:

54943[/snapback]

If you do a search on "detonation" there is a lot in here on it, and the gist of it I think is that you ride around the problem unless you are addicted to complex and expensive mods.

BelfastGuzzi was talking about drilling out the main jets, retiming the cam, lowering the compression via peelable shim type head gaskets, a vernier adjustable timing system and adapting barrels fom a Barr and Stroud sleeve valve engine last time I spoke to him, just to get around this particular problem. At least, I think that's what he said, he'd been drinking..........

BelfastGuzzi was talking about drilling out the main jets, retiming the cam, lowering the compression via peelable shim type head gaskets, a vernier adjustable timing system and adapting barrels fom a Barr and Stroud sleeve valve engine last time I spoke to him, just to get around this particular problem. At least, I think that's what he said, he'd been drinking..........

54948[/snapback]

You're mistaking me for, how can I put it... a Welshman. Sshhhhhhhhhhhh!

If you do a search on "detonation" there is a lot in here on it, and the gist of it I think is that you ride around the problem unless you are addicted to complex and expensive mods.

54946[/snapback]

I think you're right :thumbsup: I understand that I dont have a Honda or some other toaster. I just live with the occasional ping, fart, or cough & call it character and laugh it off. I know its never going to run a 10 second quarter mile or get 50 mpg. One of the secrets to enjoying life is just being happy with what you have. Having said that I think I'm going to be happy with a Ninja type bike to keep my Mandello company next year ;)

Guest DanielCooper
Just been re-reading the detonation threads. Now that the weather is hot, just a little traffic or lane splitting on the infamous M25 to get the engine hot and you need to ride it like its a 2 stroke!

Looks like it's another side to its "character"......

54938[/snapback]

No detonation from my Rosso Corso riding very hard in California's central valley, Tehachapies, Sierras etc at 100 plus degrees f. Maybe the PC III ?

In any event maybe you should sell your bike or quit whining.

.....In any event maybe you should sell your bike or quit whining.......

agree with Daniel.

Nogbad - Maybe Guzzi doesn't do it for you but a lot of us love em regardless. Time to sell up & move on? Either way - constant bitching is just dull.

KB :sun:

Its funny how riders are either cut out to ride a Guzzi or are the complete opposite.

For every person that loves Guzzis and stays loyal to the brand forever, there is always someone who just can't get it and sells up after a short while and goes back to Japanese bikes.

The good news is that this keeps a constant flow of cheap second hand Guzzis available for those who really love them!

Guy :helmet:

Guest MikeC
In any event maybe you should sell your bike or quit whining.

54957[/snapback]

I agree. did you not know what you were purchasing.

You have to WANT a Guzzi to own a Guzzi. They are not for everyone, only a true motorcyclist who appreciates, history, character, owning something truly different and unique and old school.

Mike

You have to WANT a Guzzi to own a Guzzi.  They are not for everyone, only a true motorcyclist who appreciates, history, character, owning something truly different and unique and old school.

55026[/snapback]

Now as much as I love my Guzzi's I have to disagree with some of you fine gentlemen.

My bike has a truly awful detonation problem. It shouldn't be this way.

I think because the problem seems to vary a bit across the line some people don't realise how bad the detonation can be.

John Koester

Guest Bruce

Pinging is not a good thing and is certainly a valid concern. At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, my 2000 pinged something awful and I increased the TPS setting to approximately .65 volts and the problem went away. That was about 6k miles ago and I can't make it ping now, even when forced to use regular gas. As has been pointed out this is not a particularly elegant solution but it works, it's free and easy.

:mg: