K&N Filter Pods (revisited)

joe camarda

Well are they? I noticed several members (including the venerable Mr. Jaap) have filter pods mounted directly onto the (?) throttle body(?) and others say that an intake runner is preferred for performance reasons.

Personally I like the looks of the conical type that Jaap uses. But Al swears by the KN 1780s with the built in runners. If the performance loss without the runners is minimally minimal and very slight to the point of insignificance I could live with that, but OTOH I dont want to sacrafice too many of my 01 V11 Sport's ponies for purely cosmetic reasons.

I know, I know.... that this has been covered on another thread, but I think the question remained unanswered..... So tell me Punk, :o are they or arent they?

BTW...no offense meant to our European bretheren who may not be familar with the famous Clint :thing: Eastwood line "So tell me Punk, are you feeling lucky today".

I know what you're thinking. Do I fit one K&N filter and leave the air box lid off or do I fit pods? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being this is a V11 Moto Guzzi, the best motorcycle in the world, it would clean suck the heat shield off the bottom of the petrol tank, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky?.....Well,do ya punk?

Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky?....Well, do ya punk?

Joe, there's only one way to answer this question and that is through careful, controlled scientific experiments. :nerd:

Here's what you need to do-

Attach a pod directly to the intake on the left-hand side of the bike (left as you are sitting on the bike)

Attach a pod to the intake runner on the right-hand side of the bike

Go for a ride and note whether the bike pulls to the left or the right. If it pulls to the left, then the 'direct contact' pod application is favored, and if it pulls to the right, then the 'pod on intake runner' is favored. This analysis is derived from the fact that the intakes point backwards and the resultant vacuum will slow you down on that side.

Take it easy at first, don't veer off the road and be careful of trees.

I'll send you a bill.

Very nice, Martin! :lol:

Joe, don't listen to JRT, I think he's been setting up his mufflers like mine :D

But the point about experimentation being the answer is what you are left with.

Unless someone tuning links a bike with both configurations, we will never know for sure.

But I'll bet it is based on some truth, as nobody in their right mind would add a runner if it did not do anything beneficial.

But if you have seen Jaap's dyno chart you will notice that he got more tested power out of Mistral crossovers than anyone, so he must be doing something right.

Most muffler and intake changes just move the power around, so you may gain some high end and lose some low end, or verse-vice-versa....no big deal.

As Clint said, " If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."

-- (The Rookie, 1990)

Joe, there's only one way to answer this question and that is through careful, controlled scientific experiments.  :nerd: 

Here's what you need to do-

Attach a pod directly to the intake on the left-hand side of the bike (left as you are sitting on the bike)

Attach a pod to the intake runner on the right-hand side of the bike

Go for a ride and note whether the bike pulls to the left or the right.  If it pulls to the left, then the 'direct contact' pod application is favored, and if it pulls to the right, then the 'pod on intake runner' is favored.  This  analysis is derived from the fact that the intakes point  backwards and the resultant vacuum will slow you down on that side. 

Take it easy at first, don't veer off the road and be careful of trees.

I'll send you a bill.

55521[/snapback]

and whatever you do, don't take the lid off the airbox – the beast'll be sucked up off the ground as soon as you open the throttle.

For some reason, Guzzi attached a shaft thing to the right side of the back wheel to provide turning resistance and slow the rig down, a kind of safety feature I supppose. It's best removed in order to unleash the full power of the standard Guzzi front sucking tubes that, correctly, point forward and down, from under the petrol tank. Combined with the rearward (and gently upwards venting) push from the twin thrust tubes, or 'exhausts' as old Brits like to call them, an unfettered Guzzi takes on a new lease of life, a second wind, reminiscent of the draught that gusts over Lake Como.

Don't even think of fitting a 'Cobra', unless the prevailing wind where you live is always cross-ways.

Well are they? I noticed several members (including the venerable Mr. Jaap) have filter pods mounted directly onto the (?) throttle body(?) and others say that an intake runner is preferred for performance reasons.

Personally I like the looks of the conical type that Jaap uses. But Al swears by the KN 1780s with the built in runners. If the performance loss without the runners is minimally minimal and very slight to the point of insignificance I could live with that, but OTOH I dont want to sacrafice too many of my 01 V11 Sport's ponies for purely cosmetic reasons.

I know, I know.... that this has been covered on another thread, but I think the question remained unanswered..... So tell me Punk, :o  are they or arent they?

BTW...no offense meant to our European bretheren who may not be familar with the famous Clint  :thing: Eastwood line "So tell me Punk, are you feeling lucky today".

55489[/snapback]

Joe, why don't you do the sensible thing and fit a better filter in the airbox and remove or mod the lid? (Leaving aside the obvious dangers of bike being sucked upwards.) Then you still get the intake tube length as, er, 'designed', but better breathing and 'noise'.

our European bretheren who may not be familar with the famous Clint  :thing: Eastwood line "So tell me Punk, are you feeling lucky today".

55489[/snapback]

PS I read in the annual NewsPaper that a new-fangled moving-picture house will be coming to a big city near here in a year or two. I hope they show Easy Rider as I really want to learn about modern life in the New World.

Joe,

I just happen to have a pair of K&N pods with a long runner, like Al R's setup. I never got around to using them, if interested, you know where to find me :homer: .

Mike

PS I read in the annual NewsPaper that a new-fangled moving-picture house will be coming to a big city near here in a year or two. I hope they show Easy Rider as I really want to learn about modern life in the New World.

55544[/snapback]

Hey Belfastguzzi...I stand properly chastised :blush: for thinking that Europeans are so primitive as to not know who Dirty :thing: Harry is ....but when you do get to see your first real moving picture show maybe you'll be lucky 'nuff to see one of those new fangled ones with colors and sound ;) . Here in California we actually have somethings called digitalization, and "Dolby surround sound" but I think its only 'cause George Lucas grew up right here in Modesto. Kinda cool. :!: How 'bout those television sets? :grin: