Waterproof Gloves

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Today I bought some "Racer" "Pluvio" waterproof gloves and gave them a good testing on the way home from work.

Light rain from Epsom to Heathrow, then torrential downpour all the way from the M4 junction right to my home at Chesham. So that's 22 miles of light to moderate rain and 20 miles of wind blown spray and heavy rain.

Left glove, no penetration at all. Right glove, no penetration at all on the fingers, back or palm. Just a small leakage at the cuff, I think due to all the throttle and brake work as it was solid jams from Beaconsfield to Chesham due to diverted traffic from M25 closure at J21.

Ok the gloves are expensive at £69-99, but the Gore-Tex membrane and double cuff seems to work well.

Hein Gericke suit didn't leak either and that's 2 years old now.

Guest aironepony

I have always used the same technique as the cross channel swimmers. Plenty of grease.................. :thumbsup:

Waterproof leather stuff has worked for me when new but has always started letting in water after a bit of use. Goretex seems to breakdown after a time in all items I've had for bike/outdoor etc. If I'm away a while I carry spare gloves.

KB :sun:

Barbour International jacket, vinyl (Viking Rubber [!!!] brand) trousers, Dunlop wellies. Never leaked yet, although the Barbour is coming to the end of its life. Grit gets embedded into the fabric and rubs holes.

Still not found a way of stopping water running down the arm into gloves. Also not discovered a clothing system that keeps you warm and dry on the bike but allows you to move around off it without turning into mount Vesuvius.

mike

I note that all the posts in this thread are from the UK, a comment, I suppose, on your weather. :P

OTOH, if the rain keeps up here in "the Sunny South" much longer, I may have to listen more closely to you ... or build an Ark. :(

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?...ate=GA&site=FFC

Seriously, launching next week on 800-miler to n. Virginia via all the twisties I can find, and (rather sulkily) got out my rain gear last night. Have some new Hein-Gericke rain gloves that I haven't tried in the weather yet. Last rain gloves I had kept my hands dry from rain, but sweat from rubber inners was as wet (and stank more) than rain soaking thru. :huh2:

Oh well, 800 miles in the rain (and under overpasses :whistle: ) is better than no ride at all ... I think. :mg:

Bill,

Since you are planning a trip I presume the bike has had a good once over by someone who has experience in finding potential problems before they manifest themselves (Wayne). Do you have a MGNOC contact list? A tire repair kit?

Bill,

Since you are planning a trip I presume the bike has had a good once over by someone who has experience in finding potential problems before they manifest themselves (Wayne). Do you have a MGNOC contact list? A tire repair kit?

55662[/snapback]

Thanks, I deserved that ... and have almost been waiting for some wise___ to say so here or on wildguzzi. :P

Anyway, yes, btw, to all three questions and more, tho I fully expect to learn yet another thing about one of the Guzzis (not sure if I'll be on EV or Ballabio, tho probably the latter) before I get back. Would prefer the Ballabio, but the rear shock leaks, and dealer is trying to get MGNA to respond to claim. I am inclined to upgrade to Ohlins, but jury (and wife! :o ) is still out on that. The EV is, after Wayne Orwig's check-out after the ignition-switch fiasco, road-ready (I fervently believe and pray!).

FWIW--and that would be little, and with apologies for hijacking thread, tho I blame you :D --here is what I sent to some folks locally and along route to see if they were interested in tagging along for all or part ... or, as sort of advance warning ;) , to ready a spare room and get U-Haul phone numbers ready. :blush:

#####################

Must report to Fort A.P. Hill (FAPH) any time on Sunday, 17 July. I am legal advisor to military joint task force there to support the National Scout Jamboree. That event actually starts on 24 July and runs thru 3 August, but if it's like last one, riding time from arrival 'til departure is likely quite limited.

Three of us plan to take this trip on m/c.

George is on a ST1300; have ridden with him before; he'll do fine, but like all of us "aged" types, is concerned about back pain (he has a genuine med condition, and is not merely whining). OBTW, when George got the ST two years ago, he talked a lot of trash about Guzzis. So ... invited him along for a ride to the hills with Wayne Orwig. He loved the slab on the way up, but Wayne and, heck, even I, left him in our wakes once we got to the mountains. Great fun; he remains appropriately respectful to this day!

Mario (what a great name; too bad he's on a Honda!) is riding a 600+ cc Honda Shadow, which, tho smaller, is a nice-looking ride and should be fine among larger brethren, especially given no-hurry pace.

Will be launching at about 9 a.m. on Friday, 15 July -- tho, to complete our casual approach to things, may depart on Thursday, 14 July. :-) More on that option, below.

Will take our time on this general axis of advance: I-85 to vic. Clemson (hate the slab, but it does get us out of town in a hurry); meet with Cam and Jan, who may join us for a few hundred miles); US 178 to US 64, for a quick jog over to N.C. SR 215 up to BRP; BRP to just north of Asheville; I-40 for 15 miles over to Old Fort, then US 70 to Marion, N.C.; US 221 for many wonderful miles to at least Independence (with a wiggling deviation on SR 194) just north of Boone; with rest dependent on day we started.

That flexibility is because we may ride to Davis, W.V., and spend night in my daughter's cabin. She, other daughters, and Kathi (who will already be in D.C. area) will arive on Sunday, and we wish to overlap only long enough for hugs and coffee. :-) We will then wander down to FAPH via Seneca Rocks, US 33, Charlottesville, SR 20, etc.

If we do not do the "extra day" option, we will likely do a general Independence, Roanoke, Charlottesville route via BRP and local roads.

So ... there, with far greater detail than you asked for ... is the plan. Hope we might be able to link up for some of this or meet at some rally-point restaurant. We have not--and will not--pick night stops yet, as we want to be driven by the ride, not nightly destinations. My guess, tho, is first night vic. Boone; after that ... heck, who knows?

We, will, btw, likely begin return ride on Friday, 5 August.

But today's plans are not for either to or from routes, but to play some in new garage, putting away things I ddn't remember I had and general putzing while sipping whatever and listening to the same. :-)

Let me know if any of this works for (any of) you.

Bill

###################

Anyway, thanks for the reminder! I am sending ahead a tolbox (and even know now how to use some) and spare parts, as I will have time during jamboree to clean and tinker a bit. Stay tuned.

Hein Gericke suit didn't leak either and that's 2 years old now.

I have also some Hein Gericke that worked good but as of right now I I have damaged the inside membrane(wear from in-out ,in -out use) and there can be some leaks, I guess, I'll buy some new ones if they don't work.

I'm kinda partial to the neoprene cold weather fishing gloves (West Marine). They are better than anything else I have tried (and believe me I've tried a lot!). :2c:

Shimano also makes a nice neoprene glove that even has the hand curved.