Intermittent nuetral light

Bbennett

Hello-

I searched the forum for previous discussions on this topic to no avail. Are there any ideas on why the nuetral light on a 2001 V11 has started to not come on when in nuetral? It sometimes quits for 30-40 shifts and then comes back on for another period, then it goes out again. Yes, I am sure that 99.9% of the time I am actually in true nuetral.

Thanks,

Bob (in Seattle)

yeah mine does it too, :) the only time its truly bothesome is if i want to let my fiance ride my bike. She's used to a kawasaki which of course never has issues like that to deal with :) I figure that it's either dirt or moisture in the sensor.

Pretend it's a Brit bike. They didn't have neutral indicators, back in the day. Come to think of it, neither did Jap crap....

And you could start them with the kickstand down........... in any gear...........

wow..... we sure got stupid since then!

more than likely, you have a short in the kickstand/neutral connection. Find the wire on the kickstand and trace it up -- it'll pass by the side of the alternator cover. If not careful, the wire can get too close to the exhaust and it's gone. It'll start by being intermittant and then burn all the way through. Easy fix if that's it. check it by wiggling the wire where the fray might be and checking if the light comes on. This was the case on mine.

I thought I read here or elsewhere--and this possible recollection is not to be confused with understanding what I am talking about! :doh: --that this is the result of parking the bike in neutral rather than in gear. That causes, as I recall, a pin to stay or in (or not), thus sticking and preventing the light from coming on.

It is entirely possible that I am making this up, as mine seems to come on when it feels like it, and how I park seems to have little or no effect.

OK, after that helpful comment, I'm going back to packing for a trip that I am unready for and the hours grow short. Yikes! :wacko:

Bill

That may be the case for some, Bill, but not for all of them. I've read that that 'parking in neutral' bit also. However, I always park my bike in neutral (not so many hills around here) and my neutral light seems to be working just fine. :huh2:

/knocks wood

//puts it in first gear