Stock Exhaust vs. Modified

Dr Gil

Ok, I know "which is 'better'" is relative and subject to a lot of personal variables but... ;)

I'm the new proud owner of an '02 Le Mans (my first Guzzi)...please, hold the applause, and it came with aftermarket carbon fiber exhausts. My problem is they are LOUD. They’re louder than I like, I think. Suddenly I'm (and everyone within a 1/2 mile of me) acuity aware of ANY throttle change, gear change, etc. Besides which I find it a bit draining (I'm basically a Sport-Tourer).

So I guess my question here (being totally new to this and bowing to almost everyone here's greater experience) is “what are the advantages to these carbon fiber pipes?” I know there is probably a pretty decent weigh advantage and maybe even a horsepower increase. But how great is it really? I mean if I was all about horsepower I'd now own something Japanese.

I figure used stock pipes should be abundant and available at reasonable prices. Actually I prefer the looks of the stock pipes and if there isn't too great a difference in performance or anything too negative about the original equipment I'm thinking of going back to the basics.

As always, any and all help gratefully appreciated and accepted in the spirit it was given.

Guest philbo
Ok, I know "which is 'better'" is relative and subject to a lot of personal variables but... ;)

I'm the new proud owner of an '02 Le Mans (my first Guzzi)...please, hold the applause, and it came with aftermarket carbon fiber exhausts.  My problem is they are LOUD.  They’re louder than I like, I think.  Suddenly I'm (and everyone within a 1/2 mile of me) acuity aware of ANY throttle change, gear change, etc.  Besides which I find it a bit draining (I'm basically a Sport-Tourer).

So I guess my question here (being totally new to this and bowing to almost everyone here's greater experience) is “what are the advantages to these carbon fiber pipes?”  I know there is probably a pretty decent weigh advantage and maybe even a horsepower increase.  But how great is it really?  I mean if I was all about horsepower I'd now own something Japanese. 

I figure used stock pipes should be abundant and available at reasonable prices.  Actually I prefer the looks of the stock pipes and if there isn't too great a difference in performance or anything too negative about the original equipment I'm thinking of going back to the basics.

As always, any and all help gratefully appreciated and accepted in the spirit it was given.

56259[/snapback]

I replaced the stock pipes and crossover on my 04 LeMans at around 600 miles so if you're interested, and if they are the same as the 02, I'd be happy to sell them to you at a reasonable price. I'm not sure what a reasonable price is but they're just collecting dust so maybe we can figure something out.

Cheers

Phil

Not sure what brand CF cans you have but most can be repacked to be made a little softer again. OEM cans seem to be readily avaialble too and you might even find some one to even-steven trade for your CFs :huh2:

Aftermarket cans make more noise, weigh less, can give more ground clearance. Cans alone won't give much more power/torque to bike, & can give less if FI not set up for them.

If bike is otherwise stock I don't think you'd lose much (if anything) by going back to stock cans. Bike can be made to run very good as stock & it'd be quieter. Key to good running is having the FI set up well, can make a huge difference to rideability.

KB :sun:

The only HUGE difference(other than sound) is that the stockers WEIGH A TON, I mean they are freakin' heavy :P

Go do a search and see if you can find the various threads with pics of the OEM cans cut open, and you'll see why they weigh so much :rolleyes:

They are also uneven when viewed from the rear, with the right hand side "kicked out" further than the left, but a good margin. But if this bothers you, a little work with some washers/spacers can get them pretty close.

If you aren't running any other significant intake/exhaust modifications, and are basically happy with the stock power, then you probably will be happy with the OEM cans.

And if you want the OEM cans a "little louder", there a bunch of threads on "unpacking" or "drilling out" the stockers. In fact, browse through the "How To" section, and I think there is a thread on this very subject.

BTW, some also really like Staintunes, and they have a baffle that makes them not quite as loud. So that is an option, if you like the "chrome" polished SS finish.

al

FWIW if you have the open airbox lid, your bike will be loud. If that is the case, then the problem may not be your mufflers.

Another solution is to keep the mufflers, but put a restrictor in it. (repacking should be tried first to avoid power loss.)

I think you can buy something called a db eater :huh2:

But the stock mufflers have a nice sound, too.

My stock carbon fiber cans weigh 9lbs each. How much do standard cans weigh? Is 18lbs heavy for 2 cans? I wonder what the aftermarket carbon fiber cans weigh. I wouldnt mind a little more boom boom sound on my bike :race: Maybe I'll try unpacking the cans at a later date.

My stock carbon fiber cans weigh 9lbs each. How much do standard cans weigh? Is 18lbs heavy for 2 cans? I wonder what the aftermarket carbon fiber cans weigh. I wouldnt mind a little more boom boom sound on my bike :race: Maybe I'll try unpacking the cans at a later date.

56351[/snapback]

Well, yes.... ~20lbs is quite heavy.

And to be clear, your stock "carbon cans" aren't really CF cans, per se.

If you really do have the stock LaFranconi CF *sleeved* cans, internally these are exactly the same as the silver or black aluminum *sleeved" steel cans on the other Sport/LeMans models.

The CF "look" or "sleeved" cans that came on models like the 01 Rosso Mandello, are simply a CF sleeve over the same heavy steel can as all the models use.

In contrast, my Ti Leo Vince cans literally feel like styrofoam when compared to the weight of the stockers. But of course, they are probably about as durable as styrofoam as compared to the steel stockers too if I ever tip the bike over :rolleyes:

I don't know how much my Leo Vinces weigh, but there really is no comparison, and oh... the sound :P:

But I generally like the lines of the stock cans, and if they didn't have all the standard eco-disclaimers stamped on the side of them, turn purple with age(the black ones), have significant flow restriction, and as mentioned... weigh a freakin' ton.... I'd have kept mine.

al