BPR6ES vs BPR6EIX

The difference I noticed is that conventional spark plugs I had to change them every 5-6K km I have changed my iridium after 25K km and could take more km's(both in a well running motor). Cold starts are a bit better with the irid., and that's all I could notice with "bare eye".

It seemed to me a slight reduce in gas (perhaps 1% or so) but then again that could be my idea I heve not really tested it.

A good reason to use iridium is,you don't have to worry about changing sprk plugs all time and when for instance you're in a travel doing many miles you just go on for more miles with the same plugs,have so far done more than 30K km using them (NGK's iridium) and are absolutelly reliable in various weather conditions.

The difference I noticed is that conventional spark plugs I had to change them every 5-6K km I have changed my iridium after 25K km and could take more km's(both in a well running motor). Cold starts are a bit better with the irid., and that's all I could notice with "bare eye".

It seemed to me a slight reduce in gas (perhaps 1% or so) but then again that could be my idea I heve  not really tested it.

A good reason to use iridium is,you don't have to worry about changing sprk plugs all time and when for instance you're in a travel doing many miles you just go on for more miles with the same plugs,have so far done more than 30K km using them (NGK's iridium) and are absolutelly reliable in various weather conditions.

68787[/snapback]

Alex, what are you're plugs gapped at? Are you using the NGK BPR6EIX or another brand?

Thanks!

As I recall the main use of platinum and iridium in spark plugs it to allow longer times between changes. Most cars now use platinum and have 100,000 intervals for changing. Both platinum and iridium is much more resistive to matter transference than the good ol standard plug. Thus the electrode does not wear down, which keeps the gap constant over a longer period of time.

Also the smaller electrodes are less prone to fouling due to localized heat. (The electrode's temp is higher due to less surface area=better burn off characteristics.)

57075[/snapback]

This is precisely the reason that platinum and iridium are used in the construction of spark plugs for new vehicles. These metals resist the ion exchange of spark generation far better than the original material used in spark plug construction. This is only significant if the spark plug change interval is extended.

The heat range of a spark plug is determined by measure, and not by prediction, so a XXX6XX plug is going to run in the "6" heat range regardless of it's construction type.

I obviously don't have a beautiful Guzzi, but I do have experience with Iridium plugs in various bikes old and new. I had a 79 Bonneville with electronic ignition and used the NGK Iridiums in the correct heat range. On that bike I had a noticable

improvemnet in starting(kick), was able to maintain a lower idle setting without dying out, and most importantly had crisper throttle response and it pulled stronger. These were all definate improvements, not "I Thinks" vs. using the platinums or standard plugs. I would swear by them on an older bike especially with a magneto or points. I also used the NGK Iridiums on a 95 Speed Triple. It too had a better quality idle, and also had crisper throttle response. As to whether it pulled stronger, all I can say is that after switching plugs the front tire was easier (no clutch like before) in coming up on hard throttle acceleration. That was a fact, not wishful thinking. I now have a Laverda Strike with Denso Iridiums. That bike has fuel injection along with more modern electrics than the Triumphs. I have'nt had it long enough, and switched from the standard plugs to the Denso's soon after getting it, so I really can't say. I also have a MZ 1000 and switched to Denso Iridiums at around the 1000 mile service. This bike came with Bosch multiple(3) electrode plugs. Upon inspection I felt that the center electrode was too shrouded, and have the opinion that they are just the "snake oil" of spark plugs. Many over in Germany say they have had cold weather starting problems on their MZ's with the Bosch's.

Out they came. In went the Denso's. I will never use standard plugs again.

By the way, the NGK's are a regular Iridium plug with a .7mm center wire where as the Denso's are a performance Iridium plug with a .4mm center wire and slightly different construction.

Most everyone thinks about "More Power" when talking Iridiums. Most should know that a plug will not make more power. They will allow the ignition system to deliver the power that it is capable of producing. Not hinder or impede it.

I don't believe any of the manufacturers make that claim of more power. I think its idle, starting,acceleration, and life span.

Older bikes you will absolutely notice performance improvements "bottom to top" and on the newer bikes you will at the least have longevity, followed by various levels of better quality idle and crisper throttle response. If one reads up on ignitions and the theory of spark propagation yadda-yadda-yadda you'll see that using these type of plugs are the way to go. They are the best technology as of today. That's my :2c::rasta:

Most should know that a plug will not make more power. They will allow the ignition system to deliver the power that it is capable of producing. Not hinder or impede it.

I don't believe any of the manufacturers make that claim of more power. I think its idle, starting,acceleration, and life span.

I thinks that's correct , also with the aid-combination of new tech Spark Plug wires.

Now where can I gat some of the latest (plug wires+pipes) for my Guzzi???

:bier:

Ha there

I'm with Cafeman ,I've got a 78 Bonny to and run Iridium BR8EIX 40000km I changed them, don't know what for, still nothing wrong with them,I use them for spares now{just in case}.They made the old girl run like a clock.

Now I have put them in the Gooser {BPR6EIX} from memory, 10000km so far.Stop a bit of pinging till I get rid of origanal ECU.

:mg: Cheers :bier:

Guest aironepony
I would swear by them on an older bike especially with a magneto or points.

69036[/snapback]

Be careful about using "R" plugs with magnetos; they don't like them.

............... :thumbsup: