have you seen the new Moto Guzzi website

gallo_se

Go and have a look to the new www.motoguzzi.it website. News, all the informations about the meeting in Mandello next september (I will be there!) and new accessories for our motorbike, the V11. If you go to the sport touring session and click on the V11 Le Mans and then on "accessori" you will find new soft bags, that are very similar to the tekno ones (according to me Moto Guzzi asked to Tekno to produce personalized soft bags for them), with the fast attach/detach, racks very similar to the tekno ones, but improved, look tougher than the tekno and shouldn't brake as happened to someone with the tekno ones. Hard to explain, there is this one more tubing that crosses tha back of the bike. Price in Italy, 288 euro, 30 euro more than the tekno. Available at the end of august from Agostini. I'm gonna get them.

Looks like the same mounting setup(or very close), just that the bags themselves have been updated??

I hope they have made the bags somewhat water resistant, as that was one of the primary complaints I've heard... that they original Tekno bags leaked like a sieve when it rained :(

al

I like the layout- it looks nice.

I was poking around the 'clubs' section- there's no recognized Moto Guzzi club in the US? I guess what I've heard is true, which is no one pays attention to the MGNOC.

BTW, Canada has no recognized club either.

Guest Nogbad

It looks much better than the old site, but how come the V11 and Cali are still listed? I thought the V11 series was being discontinued, yet there is the entire model range, with the Breva described as a cruiser.....

AND WHERE IS THE GRISO!?????

Guest goffredo
It looks much better than the old site, but how come the V11 and Cali are still listed? I thought the V11 series was being discontinued, yet there is the entire model range, with the Breva described as a cruiser.....

57286[/snapback]

Coming soon. Very soon indeed...

G.

57286[/snapback]

Obviously, there're still a lot of old models in the pipeline, sitting on dealers showrooms. Moto Guzzi needs to keep up appearances that these models are on-going so that the dealers aren't stuck with having to cut suicidal deals on "discontinued" models. Don't forget: a huge majority of motorcycle sales are still "walk-in" passersby who see something, think about it and come back a few days/weeks/months later to buy. If Guzzi didn't have these models listed on their site, that "I'll go home & think about it" sale would be lost.

But you're right: where's the Griso? Guzzi needs to create some anticipation for its release by having it up on the website, or they'll only ever be able to sell it to people who've owned a Guzzi before [& that's a recipe for a long, slow decline!]

:2c:

Guest Nogbad

The website would be a bit sparse without all those V11s! The Breva 1100 and 750s are just two bikes with maybe a different market appeal to the V11 range.

Surely it would be possible without much investment to keep the V11 style with Breva 1100 running gear, and the current higher spec front forks?

That would give them updated sports tourers that could retain the current range of colours and variations, maybe a bit fewer is ok. But an updated V11 with the Breva engine, gearbox and swingarm would be a FAR nicer bike than the ugly duckling Breva.

Everyone says how nice the Breva rides. I bet it would be even nicer with a sportier focus and the looks of the V11.

Come on Guzzi!

I agree, the Griso should have gotten a major place on the site.

As far as the design: nothing special. Not really an improvement.

And the content: Greenib is still mentioned as Dutch importer, but has gone belly up at least 4 months ago!

I like the video section however.

The website would be a bit sparse without all those V11s! The Breva 1100 and 750s are just two bikes with maybe a different market appeal to the V11 range.

Agreed; they pretty much had to use the older models to flesh it out!

Surely it would be possible without much investment to keep the V11 style with Breva 1100 running gear, and the current higher spec front forks?

I'm certain that part of Piaggio's philosophy is that with fewer production-line changeovers, the unit costs will go down, & it will be easier for Guzzi to turn a profit, even if they're making & selling a smaller total # of bikes.

That would give them updated sports tourers that could retain the current range of colours and variations, maybe a bit fewer is ok. But an updated V11 with the Breva engine, gearbox and swingarm would be a FAR nicer bike than the ugly duckling Breva.

The spine frames can't use the Breva engine, due to the return to a hi-mount automotive alternator. Really, it's all kinda stupid: the bike is so cpu- & electronics-dependent now that it wouldn't likely lead to any more problems to mount a turbine in the exhaust turning an alternator with microprocessor-controlled primary windings so that the darn thing is only producing power when A: the turbo is spinning fast enough & B: the battery needs charging. This would have the benefit of forcing a proper 2->1 collector into use in place of the pre-muffler, as well as allowing for lighter mufflers (since the turbo will take care of a lot of the silencing chores by smoothing the exhaust pulses...)

I hear you on the :vomit: styling of the big Breva; why they went overboard when they already had a reasonable-if-plain styling w/ the 750 is beyond me. But then, maybe the same bonehead who o.k.'d the Centauro for release was still involved? ;)

The problem basically comes down to design priorities. Guzzi can't do a spiney w/ the hi-mount alternator; Guzzi can't get the engine closer to the front wheel for sportier handling with a front-mount alternator; Guzzi can't do a single-sided swingarm with the spine frame due to torque moments. However, Guzzi can go with a Quota-derived perimeter frame and resolve all these issues, which allows them to have: a quicker handling bike (which makes up for some of it's excess weight), a totally enclosed shaft drive via the single-sided swingarm (which basically eliminates driveline failures/maintenance), and thus you get the big Breva & Griso. All hail the Quota ES!

What I can't figure out is why Guzzi didn't *keep* the V11 Sport derivatives: the styling is popular and the production molds (for body parts, etc.) are already amortized, more than justifying the costs of production-line changeover. Make'em *all* special eds, & announce it ahead of time: "We're making 200 Tennis, 200 Scuras, 200 Rosso Mandellos, 200 Coppa Italias,etc., this year. Get your order in now!" Have each engraved with the model&year, produce'em all in a row, & then do the line changeover during August when all of Italy is on vacation, so when Sept. rolls around all the Brevas & Grisos start building. Or vice-versa; I guess there's more time for building the "main line" models Jan-Jul than there is Sept-Nov... Either way, that would enable the use of the new 6-spd with just a minor update to the swingarm for the Sports, to enclose the driveline. Or leave it open; the buyers of the "special eds" are more likley willing to put up with slightly more maintenance responsibilities in exchange for the right look & less unsprung wt...

Everyone says how nice the Breva rides. I bet it would be even nicer with a sportier focus and the looks of the V11.

I don't think those features (sportier focus, V11 looks) would affect the ride so much as the sales!

:thumbsup:

As usual, it's all just my :2c:

Guest Nogbad

Skeeve, I can't see how Guzzi can survive on just the Brevas and the Griso.

1. Guzzi probably gets a fair few repeat sales, and sales from the friends and acquaintances of proselytizing Guzzi owners. The Brevas are not a replacement bike for Cali and V11 beloved by current owners in a lot of cases.

2. They are not going to manage a high level of sales with only 2 models that whilst pretty good (Brevas) have a lot of competition in a crowded market, i.e. from BMW (which seems pretty aggressive and well funded), Triumph, Ducati and the Japs. How will they amortise their tooling and design?

3. Worldwide, manufacturers in the car and bike world now realise that the days of clone mass production are over. The trick is to appear to make specials to suit niche customers, whilst achieving commonality of the expensive underpinning parts. Guzzi did this very successfully with V11, and seemed to understand. Triumph certainly understand the reality of the 21st century bike market, as do BMW who are expanding their range of different bikes like mad.

Personally, I think if Guzzi dump the V11 and Cali ranges, they are finished. It may look a good idea to the bean counters, but bean counters are not customers, and it's the customers who buy the bikes.

:P:  :P:  :mg:

Probably be way too expensive for me to afford though! Looking at spending rather less than £10K GBP on my next bike!

57345[/snapback]

The dealer here says around $AUD22k (around 9,500 pounds) and December delivery.