Rear tire

richard100t

File this under listen to your bike guys. I was riding mine today when it just wouldnt handle quite right. I got off & inspected the front end & the tire, & nothing unusual. I thought that was disturbing because I knew something wasnt right. :doh: I take the bike home & check the air pressure in the front & its a little low at 32 psi. I think well maybe thats it so I run it to the gas station & pump it to 37 psi. Then as I'm leaving the station it gets real squirrelly. Ok now I'm pissed so I pull over & check the back tire & OMFG! :vomit: The belts are showing through the center & its reading 0 psi. :o Needless to say I just limped it home. Tomorrow I'll be taking the wheel off & getting a new tire. :luigi: Should the oem Bridgestone wear that quickly as the bike has 6500 miles on it? :vomit:

. . .  Should the oem Bridgestone wear that quickly as the bike has 6500 miles on it? :vomit:

57369[/snapback]

Not to scold, but I find it hard to believe someone could neglect such an important component to safety.

Sorry, I guess it does sound like a bit of a scolding . . . :homer:

Not to scold, but I find it hard to believe someone could neglect such an important component to safety. 

Sorry, I guess it does sound like a bit of a scolding . . .  :homer:

57372[/snapback]

Thats what I was thinking when I looked at it. It has plenty of tread on the sides but I can now see the belts or whatever starting to wear through the center. I doubt that its been that way for very long though. Its definitely something I'll be on the lookout for in the future. I guess I just didnt think it had enough miles on it to wear that much. Plus I must really not be leaning :race: a lot when I ride because theres plenty of tread on the sides.

:bier: I'll be happy if my oem Bridgestone makes it to 4500 miles! I plan on replaceing it with an Avon Azarro :mg:

57375[/snapback]

Well if 4500 is alot then I definitely got my $$ worth out of it...Anyone have a favorite brand tire to recomend? I'll be out in the garage first thing in the morning. Oh btw I have a pirelli supercorsa on the front if that matters.

Guest ratchethack

No offense, Richard - but somebody was bound to take you to the woodshed on that one. Glad it wasn't me tho... :P

(If I'd have seen it first, I would have been...) -_-

No offense, Richard - but somebody was bound to take you to the woodshed on that one.  Glad it wasn't me tho... :P

57377[/snapback]

Hey I knew it was going to happen. I still thought it was an important thing to tell everyone. It was a wake up call to me on the relatively short life of bike tires. Maybe I'm not the only one that doesnt know that 6500 miles is alot for a rear tire. Oh well alls well that ends well as they say. I'm keeping the shiny side up for now. Looking back at it I think the air pressure was starting to leave as I took it home the first time. By the time I put air in the front tire, the rear was flat. I've never experienced a flat rear before & to be honest I thought it was the front up until it must have reached very low pressure. All the same I knew something was amiss & I was riding very carefully & slowly trying to figure out the problem. I'll chalk it up as a learning experience

SOLD SOLD SOLD

Well if 4500 is alot then I definitely got my $$ worth out of it...Anyone have a favorite brand tire to recomend? I'll be out in the garage first thing in the morning. Oh btw I have a pirelli supercorsa on the front if that matters.

57376[/snapback]

If you have a 5.5 inch rear, I have a set of brand new (150 miles) Continental Road Attacks for sale. $150 delivered (UPS) to your front door. These are very sticky, high mileage tires. They came off my aprilia.

$99.95 Continental Conti Road Attack 120/70ZR17 Front

$129.95 Continental Conti Road Attack 180/55ZR17 Rear

Clicky the picky for more info

attackhalf.gif

If you have a 5.5 inch rear, I have a set of brand new (150 miles) Continental Road Attacks for sale.  $150 delivered (UPS) to your front door.  These are very sticky, high mileage tires.  They came off my aprilia.

$99.95   Continental Conti Road Attack 120/70ZR17 Front

$129.95 Continental Conti Road Attack 180/55ZR17 Rear

Clicky the picky for more info

attackhalf.gif

57381[/snapback]

Thats a great deal! My rear is a 170/60/zr17 I dont know if that one would fit my bike or not. I'm sure lots of others here will know though. I need a tire tomorrow as its riding season but I may buy them at a later date if you still have them...& if they'll fit of course. The front tire will definitely fit but I dont know about a 180/70 rear

... dont know if that one would fit my bike...

Richard,

RM has a 4.5" rim I think. You may be able to get a 180 on but it's not recommended & would handle like a pig. Also not sure if it would have clearance.

BT020 is a sports touring tyre, SuperCorsa is a Supersports tyre - they will have very different characteristics & I think would not work well together. Ideally you should try to match similar front & rear. Some like a stickier front but the combination you have seems extreme.

How much wear do you have on the front? In theory you won't get much mileage from the sticky tyre. You may consider replacing the pair?

Pirelli Diablos are a sports tyre & work very well, handle better, grip better & wear just a bit faster than BT020's. If you are not on a track or really pushing it no need for Corsa, in fact much better of with std version.

But, if you found the BT020's worked for you, & you don't require more grip, then I'm sure there are other sport touring tyres that will also work well, give better mileage than Diablos & also be cheaper. Stick w/ 020's? Diablo Strada? Road Attacks etc...If you are not pushing the handling/grip I would not stress too much about which tyre to fit, I think pretty much any recommended sports/touring fitment from a major manufacturer would work well.

Tyres should be replaced at the latest when tread down to 1mm & for safety more like 2mm. You are MUCH more likely to get a puncture on a worn down tyre. Handling will deteriorate also. We all use tyres differently, depends how you ride - but I would consider 6,500 miles as a very high mileage on a rear tyre.

You should check tyres regularly for wear, damage & pressures.

Cheers,

KB :sun:

Richard,

. . . You should check tyres regularly for wear, damage & pressures. . .

Cheers,

KB :sun:

57388[/snapback]

:homer:

I agree. These Conti's are for a 5.5 inch rear rim.

I really like the supercorsa up front. I'll have to check around today & see wich dealer has a pirelli rear. I went with the supercorsa up front because it was on sale ($85). However I love the way that made my bike handle & now I'd like to try a Pirelli rear. Maybe not a Supercorsa but the next level down... maybe a Diablo or something like that. I have about 2500 miles on the front now so I have a while yet to go with it. I'll replace it with the appropriate tire that goes with my new rear tire.

Richard: I feel your pain. Mainly because I almost did the same damn thing. I noticed that my rear tire was getting worn and took a ride to my dealer to schedule an appointment to get a new one and BS about which tire would work best. Was on BT 020 with, I thought, plenty of tread to get me to the dealer and back-- about 160 mile round trip. By the time I got there, the cord was showing through! Thank God he had a tire in stock and was good enough to install it right there. The 020 seemed to wear out really really fast when it got to the end of its life.

This may be too late to help you, but at the last tire change, I went from a 170 to a 160 on the rear. Bike handles much better now-- leans easier. A lot of folks here have done this with good results. :2c: Hope this helps.

John