rear axle bearing spacer

jrt

The good thing about doing it yourself is that you can take your time and apply grease to where its needed and be sure the job is done properly.

I had a bad experience on my Ducati 900SS about 9 years ago. I was really busy at work and a tyre dealer in Pompey was advertising fitting the tyres to the bike for £20 so I took them up on their offer. On my ride home I applied to rear brake to find the caliper rotating around the wheel because they had not located it properly in the bracket.

Needless to say I went ape with them and got a big refund. With my Rosso Corsa I got the first two tyre changes done by dealers- firstly Cobb and Jagger because I broke down with a puncture then Agostinis because I was on holiday and neither of them seemed to have used a drop of grease on the splines or axle- I guess they just do it as quick as they can.

P.S. My new tyres were £170 for the pair

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. My new tyres were £170 for the pair

67671[/snapback]

You would have got your's just before the price rise came in.

PS to Martin. Don't forget to budget an extra few quid for stainless valves, while you're at it – if you have those yellow peril cr*ppy ones that split.

WHAT! You can't be serious? But then, I know you wouldn't tell a word of a lie.....

Take the wheels off and leave them into a fitter. It will be half that price. Don't pay £315 for a pair of new tyres.

I've just had a new pair fitted: £179. Tyre prices are going up just at the moment. Oil prices and all that...

Disgraceful. The sooner you Great Britain part of UK Johnnies have to do MOTs at proper Government Test Centres, packed to the gills with computerised machinery, the better.

67666[/snapback]

Okay perhaps I did exagerate

Just dug out the invoice -

hours labour 40.00

sundries/oil/lubes 3.00

enviromental disposal 3.00

tyre disposal 5.00

front tyre 111.92

rear tyre 141.92

discount 15% -37.91

Totaled 266.03

vat 46.58

gross 312 .61

I was expecting about the £200 mark. might take it back to OYB at least they were about £120 fitted during a service, though that wasn't cheap.

At those prices a new headlight looks good value.

Martin,got about 4000 miles out of the bearings,but put a new tyre on yesterday and noticed "fling" around the cush drive cover plate and from experience that's the grease left the bearings so it's only a matter of time before they go for good.

Last bearings were NTN make,this time I'll find SKF ones I think.

Martin,got about 4000 miles out of the bearings,but put a new tyre on yesterday and noticed "fling" around the cush drive cover plate and from experience that's the grease left the bearings so it's only a matter of time before they go for good.

Last bearings were NTN make,this time I'll find SKF ones I think.

67684[/snapback]

:(

I hope I'm settling down to rear tyre and brake pad 6,000 and bearing if it must at 12,000 (yearly).

Ach,dont mind too much,the bearings are dirt cheap and dead easy to replace,it could be a lot worse.

Saying that,Ill be even happier if jrt has one of them spacers left.

If not, it's out with the ankle grinder :D for a wee adjustment.

Okay perhaps I did exagerate

Just dug out the invoice -

blah              40.00 etc

Totaled                     266.03

vat                             46.58

gross                        312 .61

At those prices a new headlight looks good value.

67679[/snapback]

That's def. far too much. BTW, you're charged seperately for environmental disposal AND tyre disposal <_>

The price I mentioned was £179 for the pair – including vat, fitting, balancing, disposal and one stainless steel valve...

That's generally what you should be paying if you buy and have them fitted in the same place. Not over £300. Of course full Recommended Retail is much higher, but it shouldn't be the real price.

Guzzirider's site has good prices.