My New Bike...Crash!

Dr Gil

guzziwreck1.jpg

Yesterday I crashed the '02 Le Mans that I struggled so hard to buy just recently. I'm banged up but ok. I scraped off then end of one of my fingers so keyboarding is a bit hard for me right now.

I've posted a thread about the accident on the ST.N site. Please excuse me if I'm not feeling up to doing it here again and just direct you to that thread HERE.

My intention is to rebuild the bike (or have it rebuilt) but am going to have to deal with the insurance people now (I had collision coverage on the bike) and see how they wish to deal with it.

I'll post more as it develops. And yes, I am aware of the irony in me crashing my newly purchase bike following so closely on the heels of Tom crashing his Le Mans on the way up to sell it to me. :(

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about this on ST.N website and not to carp on and repeat what everybody else has said but glad you're relatively unscathed. As for the bike- it's too nice not to do a pristine rebuild and parts should be available. Whatever you do, keep that beautiful champaigne color.

I imagine the previous owner had disabled the sidestand switch which shuts off engine when gear is selected because of bad switch or connectors. I did the same on my Futura and am about to re-think that decision. About 6 months ago had someone stop me in traffic to tell me sidestand was down on that bike.

:(:(:(:(:(

Gil, we all know how hard you worked for this bike and feel for you. The good news is that you will heal with time, the machine & the gear can be replaced and yes, most insurance companies will compensate you for the gear. They will definitely want the helmet, maybe the other gear too.

Good luck, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Phil

Atlanta Ga

'02 Le Mans

Doc, glad to hear you are O.K. and that you invested in some quality gear. As a former skateboarder I am all too familiar with road rash.

About that sidestand, was the switch disconnected or not functioning? I thought the purpose was to keep accidents like this from happening.

Dw

Wow! Maybe your luck has changed as it sounds like this could have been much worse. Glad you were able to walk away.

Truth be told, I'm a moron about the side stand and that cursed little switch has saved my bacon a number of times.

Good luck with the rest of it, sometimes it helps to look forward to better times.

Bruce

Thanks to all for the well wishes. :wub: I'm truly touched.

I checked the sidestand along with the CHP officer while waiting for the tow truck. Neither of us could find ANY evidence of a sidestand cutoff switch. Being a newguy to Guzzi's I assumed that they just didn't come on this model. Believe you me when I rebuild this bad girl WILL have a cutoff switch! :luigi:

Guest ratchethack

Ahhhhh...Please add my sincere good wishes and relief at your ability to walk away with just a few minor road bites...You'll heal and sounds like the LeMans can be brought back to top nick in fairly short order. Tough old birds, these. Yep, the PO of your bike bypassed the sidestand switch. I reckon I've doused my ignition more'n a few times by forgetting to raise the stand. Each time was a potential situation like yours. Won't ever disable mine...

Be sure not to let too much time go by gettin' back in the saddle... -_-

Dr. Gil,

First off, like the rest of the threads, I'm really glad you are OK! Super glad!!!! I compliment you on you're choice of roads, 299 is a classic northern California bike road.

Second, I'm about to give you crap. Motorcycling is focus, 6th sense focus, all focus, everything focus, in the total picture focus!!! Side stand, whether it has an electronic shut-off or not, do the mental walk-a-bout, and simply be in the deal.

You clearly need to be on a bike, for the wellbeing of yourself, and after this unfortunate thing, you have to get on a bike, and very soon. If it becomes clear your Lemans has reached TL [total loss] status with the insurance company, it is very important you get another Lemans ASAP. It is very important for your well-being that you get on a bike very quickly.

Ciao, Steve G.

Doc,

Sorry about the misfortune and the sore body. I hope for a speedy recovery.

If your bike is not totaled, and you’re sourcing parts, I have a used tail and used tank in Champagne in slightly less than perfect condition. I have also gone down this road last year sourcing most of the bits that are obviously broken, bent and less than servicable on yours if you need help.

The good news is here is (think positive and not totaled) an opportunity to make her yours with correct ergos, options, etc... and I'm sure Rich M. will redo his seat too.

That's a sad man looking at the back of the tow truck and a hanging lame goose :helmet:

P.S. Make sure you claim that missing tail cowl too :D

Sorry to hear this Doc. Especially after you worked so hard to get a Le Mans. Fate is a mother, sometimes.

If you rebuild, then carefully look at the frame. Carl found that the frame is fairly easy to bend at the head tube, and once that's done- the bike is history (from a financial point of view).

Glad you are allright- that's the important bit.

J

Sorry to hear this Doc.  Especially after you worked so hard to get a Le Mans.  Fate is a mother, sometimes.

If you rebuild, then carefully look at the frame.  Carl found that the frame is fairly easy to bend at the head tube, and once that's done- the bike is history (from a financial point of view).

Glad you are allright- that's the important bit.

J

57866[/snapback]

Good tip jrt. This sort of information, the where and what to look for may come into play soon. My next step is to deal with the insurance company and get the bike assessed for damage and determining whether it's salvagable and if so how much they will compensate me. I'm not sure who will be doing the assessing, my "local" Guzzi dealership is Moto Meccanica 250 miles away in Santa Rosa, CA. If it's someone local looking over the bike I'm pretty sure they will have no experience with Guzzis. I'll know more after I make contact with my insurance people.