Air-cooled Cup Series ?

hoytstaab

The Moto GP is fun to watch (obviously) but it would also be somethin’ to see the Guzzi MGS-01 (or V11 Sport), Buell Firebolt 12, BMW R1100S, & Ducati 900 Supersport go at it in an air-cooled cup series. (before the air-cooled engine is a part of history)

….maybe even include the Thruxton to round out all of the twin configurations.

is "The Battle of the Twins" series still going on?

thoughts?

The Moto GP is fun to watch (obviously) but it would also be somethin’ to see the Guzzi MGS-01 (or V11 Sport), Buell Firebolt 12, BMW R1100S, & Ducati 900 Supersport go at it in an air-cooled cup series. (before the air-cooled engine is a part of history)

….maybe even include the Thruxton to round out all of the twin configurations.

is "The Battle of the Twins" series still going on?

thoughts?

58299[/snapback]

Thoughts? Yeah, it's going to degenerate into a Buell/Ducati slugfest: the other rides you mention don't have close to the power/wt ratio of those two, and with their shorter wheelbases, they'll turn circles inside the Guzzis, Bimmers & Trumpets. Unfortunately, the Ghezzi-Brian bikes haven't sold in the numbers necessary to be considered "homologated" for such a series (& I'm including the MGS01 in this category.) :glare:

Better to support AHRMA & field a team of round-heads...

:huh2:

maybe this type of race would get lop-sided, but it would be fun to see it unfold anyway....kind of a tribute farewell to the air-cooled days.

Guzzi (or Ghezzi & Brian) won the championship years (10 years ?) ago against Ducatis, so it can be done. I'm sure there are some BMW riders/racers that would take up the challenge. Boxer Cup racers would probably love to take their machines against other brands. Fans would probably dig it, too.

Ideally, this type of racing would be on road courses that would not have the long straights but full of corners....not to cater to one brand or another, but to highlight all twins torque & cornering attributes.

a series like this should not be concerned about homogolation numbers....allow the MGS-01, Ghezzi-Brian, & other specials (the San Jose BMW), etc. As long as the bikes are within reasonable range of performance capability of one another. Or, take a LeMans approach by having various air-cooled bikes racing at the same time but in different classes....like the Porches & 'Vettes race among the prototypes from Ferrari, Audi, Honda, etc. Take a less rigid approach - we're talking about racing with an emphasis on fun & a better connection to the street rider.

the goal is to make racing fun to watch in terms of brand diversity, machine diversity...and before it is too late play a tribute to the air-cooled style..... Recognize mechanical excellence & evolution by acknowledging the final versions of how it all began.

how will a liquid-cooled Guzzi look ? Radiator under the seat or in a faux gas tank? hard to consider.

Guest Nogbad

how will a liquid-cooled Guzzi look ?  Radiator under the seat or in a faux gas tank? hard to consider.

58406[/snapback]

A liquid cooled Guzzi would likely look like a Honda CX500 "Plastic Maggot"

Yuk.

A liquid cooled Guzzi would likely look like a Honda CX500 "Plastic Maggot"

Yuk.

58421[/snapback]

Nogbad....Guzzis engineer & design teams have created some beauties over the years as you probably would agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator is creatively evolved into a nice piece (and placed in various locations) on bikes in the coming years. H-D & Guzzi could be the catalysts to getting away from the ugly black "chunk" hanging off the front of motorcycles & un-sightly plumbing. Their styles almost count on a radical alternative & both companies probably have been well aware.

Nogbad....Guzzis engineer & design teams have created some beauties over the years as you probably would agree.

I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator is creatively evolved into a nice piece (and placed in various locations) on bikes in the coming years.  H-D & Guzzi could be the catalysts to getting away from the ugly black "chunk" hanging off the front of motorcycles & un-sightly plumbing.  Their styles almost count on a radical alternative & both companies probably have been well aware.

58768[/snapback]

Honda (of course) have done this with design of new cruiser based around VTX1800 V-Twin. To keep the skinny, stripped down, classic custom look, they've mounted the radiator in front of the swingarm, where it's hidden by the frame. It's fed by loads of funnels.

Moto Guzzi sold me an MGS. I want to race it! Does it get any simpler than that?

hellz yah i'ma go kick some ass! they're gunna be scrapin guys off the pavement fer weeks!!

58389[/snapback]

So if Guzzbun won't pick up the gauntlet, you're the man? Get yourself & yourMG over here!

Guzzirider's the sponsor. I'll polish the tank and check the spring.

The Gauntlet

So if Guzzbun won't pick up the gauntlet, you're the man? Get yourself & yourMG over here!

Guzzirider's the sponsor. I'll polish the tank and check the spring.

The Gauntlet

58782[/snapback]

I am serious actually- if somebody on this forum wants to race their MGS01 I am happy to support them with a few quid- if other members were happy to make donations we could set up team V11LeMans.com and kick some arse on the track.

Guy :helmet:

I wouldn't be surprised if the radiator is creatively evolved into a nice piece (and placed in various locations) on bikes in the coming years.  H-D & Guzzi could be the catalysts to getting away from the ugly black "chunk" hanging off the front of motorcycles & un-sightly plumbing.  Their styles almost count on a radical alternative & both companies probably have been well aware.

58768[/snapback]

The Griso has the oil cooler mounted on the side of the engine sump. Pretty unusual and visually, it takes some getting used to. Now I see it as novel and not annoying. It does sort of have that industrial diesel locomotive appearance to it. I don't see any reason why a radiator can't be tailored to fit nearly anywhere on a motorcyle and still have airflow and won't detract from the appearance.

I don't see any reason why a radiator can't be tailored to fit nearly anywhere on a motorcyle and still have airflow and won't detract from the appearance.

58809[/snapback]

I completely agree with the above sentiment.

A radiator (and its plumbing) have been ignored for years from a design perspective {or at least, companies have not listened to their designers due to cost}. Somewhere along the history of motorcycles someone started paying attention to the exhaust pipe as being functional and a stylish piece. The same can be said of the radiator.

Within the custom car scene a led-sled can be won or lost with how the grille covering the radiator is customized. The Honda Rhune had hints of a led-sled "grille" in front of its radiator. But, Honda blew it with the side covers that hide what could have been a cool radiator. It should be interesting to see what becomes of the radiator and its hoses. We can hold the manufacturers to it, too by critiquing b.s. lazy design when it comes to the radiator.