Ageing tosser books Breva test ride!

pete roper

OK, so you think I'm a miserable old bastard, worse still a miserable old lefty hippy bastard? One who has no interest in anything built after the dawn of the industrial revolution?

Well Nyah, Nyah, Nyah! :bbblll: I went into my local 'Official' dealer today and 'booked' a test ride on a Breva. Now when this fabled machine is actually going to be available God alone knows, I know there are some in the country, I think I'll probably have to phone up Dave and pester him to see if any of the Shitney dealers have one I can take for a flog.

The thing is that the looks of the wretched thing *are* actually growing on me, and although the motor is still, (IMHO.) the same repellent old lump we know and love there *is* enough that is newish and different about it to make me genuinely interested.

I do prefer the looks of the Breva to the Grease-Oh and given the fact I'm a seriously un-supple 'Old Fart' and would want to cart the ball and chain around with me the Breva looks like it might fit the bill.

The BIG caveat of course is that it'll have to do everything $20, 000 better than my current bits of shit! Now if only they'd build one with an auto transmission :grin::grin::grin:

Pete

The thing is that the looks of the wretched thing *are* actually growing on me,

Pete

<_< Get ya shit together man, theyre bloody horrible lookin, AND theres no way they can be $20,000 than a old roundie. Just my opinion of course.

CRC

What people fail to understand is that I LIKE slow and ugly :grin: Really! I've got an SP with a 40 Litre petrol tank and a Convert! Ugly is as Ugly does! I'll only really be happy if they sell it with an auto and paint it sh!t brown though :P

Pete

I have a vivid childhood memory of seeing the Convert on "Tomorrow's World". God knows when that was, our TV was black and white at the time.

Hmmmm. They got that one wrong then!

I have a vivid childhood memory of seeing the Convert on "Tomorrow's World". God knows when that was, our TV was black and white at the time.

Hmmmm. They got that one wrong then!

59323[/snapback]

Wrong in what way? The fact that the incredibly conservative motorcycle market couldn't accept something so radical? Yup, I suppose so.

If you imply that the Convert itself is *wrong* in some way I suggest you actually ride one before making any sort of judgement. They were, and remain today, a superb tool for their purpose and are more fun than a sack full of angry squirrels!

pete

• Like 1

Hey Pete,

Aitkens have the Breva in stock, went there a few weeks back to order a fairing for my Scura. Not my cuppa tea but love is in the eye of the beholder. If your going up Sydney way, make sure you drop past The King George 1V Hotel at Picton, they do a lager home brew that you'd die for. Drop past there on the weekends when I can get away for a quick run, usually quite a few bikes there on Sundays around lunch time.

Cheers

Auldy

:bier:

I went into my local 'Official' dealer today and 'booked' a test ride on a Breva.

59309[/snapback]

Coming sign of the apocalypse? Is it snowing there?

I'm pretty sure you could find a way to graft a Connie transvert onto the Breva. OK, you probably can't but it'll give you something to complain about. Have a great ride on it, Pete! :bier:

Cheers,

The thing is that the looks of the wretched thing *are* actually growing on me, and although the motor is still, (IMHO.) the same repellent old lump we know and love there *is* enough that is newish and different about it to make me genuinely interested.

Yer heads gettin' soft.

What good is a bike that'll run all day with modern brakes, steering, drivetrain? Nah, Get some shite with 16 in. wheels, brakes that don't stop and fairing bits that leave a trail of where ya been...............

Lord, If I can't depend on the nutty old Guzzi farts, I think I'm lost

Wrong in what way? The fact that the incredibly conservative motorcycle market couldn't accept something so radical? Yup, I suppose so.

If you imply that the Convert itself is *wrong* in some way I suggest you actually ride one before making any sort of judgement. They were, and remain today, a superb tool for their purpose and are more fun than a sack full of angry squirrels!

pete

59327[/snapback]

On the contrary, I think the Convert looks kind of fun. Would be a bit wary of one myself given they are all so old now, and unusual in design. I mean, where would you get a new torque converter from when it wears out??!

The memory is hazy, but I think the gist was that all bikes would be auto's eventually.

Yer heads gettin' soft.

What good is a bike that'll run all day with modern brakes, steering, drivetrain?  Nah, Get some shite with 16 in. wheels, brakes that don't stop and fairing bits that leave a trail of where ya been...............

Lord, If I can't depend on the nutty old Guzzi farts, I think I'm lost

59335[/snapback]

No, head is hard and made of solid bone.

Modern brakes? Well, yes, but from what I've heard you can't get rebuild kits for the newer Brembo'sand they are a lot more prone to seizing pistons. Not a particularly brilliant step forward :doh: Also I have no problem with my older ones.

Steering? Super quick *modern* steering, especially coupled with great, big, fat, expensive, modern tyres is one of the things that will really put me off. If Guzzi had stuck on a decent HCS system I'd be in like Flynn. I know that modern teles are good, but they are still such a loathsome compromise, time to move on to something that doesn't combine the steering and suspension functions.

Drivetrain? The drivetrains in my old shitheaps are not only 100% reliable, (Both my five speeds, the ZD and T boxes have been super reliable.) as has my Auto driveline. 'Updates' to the later five speeds have made 'em less reliable and the six speed fitted to the V11 seems to have certain issues. The enclosed driveshaft on the earlier machines is certainly more prone to munting UJ's than the later models but there again I've never seen an early model bust splines off the output shaft or pinion which I've certainly seen on later bikes.

I can't remember ever shedding a fairing part either. :D

Incidentally about 2 years ago I did a run down from a rally near the Queensland border on the SP. It was patchy rain all the way but I managed 1,200KM in 12 hours including a stop for lunch and the run through the sweaty armpit of satan that masquerades as Sydney, the last bit from Goulburn to home, (Some 80Km.) was in the dark and it was snowing. I don't really think that can be described as too shabby or indicative of 'Not being able to run all day'. To be honest I'd far rather hop on my SP if had to get to Perth in a hurry than ride anything modern, it's like a low-flying sofa, albeit not as fast as Enzo's :grin:

As I said, it'll have to be bloody impressive to sway me, but I'm not completely blinkered or one-eyed.

Pete

On the contrary, I think the Convert looks kind of fun. Would be a bit wary of one myself given they are all so old now, and unusual in design. I mean, where would you get a new torque converter from when it wears out??!

The memory is hazy, but I think the gist was that all bikes would be auto's eventually.

59346[/snapback]

Unless you do something silly like run 'em dry they don't seem to wear out! New Converters are still available, Teo has a heap of 'em! ear as poison mind! I didn't know you could put that many zeroes after the $ sign on a motorbike part :grin: As for other parts? Most of 'em are still available and those of 'em that aren't you go to Fleabay or make 'em. Cheapest optionwith a poxy old 'vert is to buy a second heap as a spares bike. They are generally unloved so they're dirt cheap!

As for the supposition that all bikes would be auto's, Well, Raymond Baxter always was as mad as a box of frogs!

Pete

Be careful! I just test rode a breva 750 for the hell of it. That thing was so smooth & comfortable I couldnt believe it. :notworthy: I told my dealer that if Guzzi makes the 1100 Breva that nice with the extra power its going to be damn hard to not buy one. I'd want the windshield for the first option though. If you test ride this Guzzi & dont buy it Pete, you've got some willpower :2c: Thats if its as good as I believe its going to be.

Why wait? I bet your local Be em dubya dealer has something ugly in stock and ready to go.

59392[/snapback]

Ah! But that would be ugly and CHARACTERLESS!!!!! That's a completely different thing :grin: . Sorry, I really despise modern BM's. the old ones weren't crash-hot but the new ones are AWFUL!!!!

Pete

Ah! But that would be ugly and CHARACTERLESS!!!!! That's a completely different thing :grin: . Sorry, I really despise modern BM's. the old ones weren't crash-hot but the new ones are AWFUL!!!!

Pete

59404[/snapback]

I'm with ya on the new BMW. Despite all the raving of the new boxer, gosh, that thing is uglier than sin.

Ah the romance of the old Convert rider. I wish I had it. You miss my point, Pete -- I think you guys are the BEST thing about Guzzi and it's tradition. You measure miles in tens of thousands per season and have endless great stories about repairing a top end in the middle of nowhere with nothing more than baling wire, a spanner and the spare valve to an old yamaha. If they can convert one of YOU guys to the new stuff, they've got a real chance to create a new base of Guzzi fans. I'm waiting for a Breva to land here too so I can try it. My local dealer says October.........maybe.