Opinion on Purchase

Blackkat

I need some opinons on a(new to me) bike purchase. I really like the Rosso Corsa or the Nero but would prefer the silver engine case,rear drive etc. of the early V11's. Plus the price is better considering the ones that keep popping up on e-Bay on a daily basis but that isn't a major issue. Well, somewhat. Then there is the rumors of a streetable MGS/01 which I am sure is a long shot but would be plenty unhappy....but such is life.

Anyway, would like to hear from both Rosso/Nero owners and 00-01 V11 owner's. I own three Guzzi's, so am quite familiar with the reported problems with the early ones.

Thanks,

Tom

I would say if you can, take a test ride of an early V11 then compare it to a Rosso or Nero Corsa.

I like the looks of the earlier bikes and have ridden a couple of the early V11s and found them to be great fun but I enjoy the sophistication of the Ohlins suspended Rosso Corsa.

Its bumpy round here so I really appreciate the better quality suspension- I sometimes take Helen's V11 Sport out for a ride and enjoy myself but find the ride a lot harsher whereas the Rosso just seems to float over bumps which knock the V11 Sport offline.

Whichever option you choose you wil get a nice bike but try before you buy.

Guy :helmet:

I would say if you can, take a test ride of an early V11 then compare it to a Rosso or Nero Corsa.

I like the looks of the earlier bikes and have ridden a couple of the early V11s and found them to be great fun but I enjoy the sophistication of the Ohlins suspended Rosso Corsa.

Its bumpy round here so I really appreciate the better quality suspension- I sometimes take Helen's V11 Sport out for a ride and enjoy myself but find the ride a lot harsher whereas the Rosso just seems to float over bumps which knock the V11 Sport offline.

Whichever option you choose you wil get a nice bike but try before you buy.

Guy  :helmet:

60751[/snapback]

What Guzzirider said.

I have a Ballabio with added Ohlins on rear. Have ridden Ballabio 16K with standard suspension. Diff, even w/o front, is extraordinary, and I have tweaked standard stuff to distraction. That said, depends on pavement. Many places, doesn't matter. NYC? Ohlins, Sir, Ohlins. :race:

I have an '01. It's dependable as gravity, rock steady (within my limits) and I like the silver engine. The suspension is perhaps a bit harsh, but I haven't ridden an Ohlin's equiped model to make the real comparison. Would I trade mine in on a new model? Nope.

If you just want a new (used) V11, go for it. I bet it'll be 3-4 years before we see a streetable MGS, if at all. Meanwhile, the depreciation on the V11 has almost bottomed out, so you won't lose your shirt on the resale.

What Guzzirider said.

Many places, doesn't matter.  NYC?  Ohlins, Sir, Ohlins.  :race:

60753[/snapback]

I am soon to be moving to my house in north Florida on a full time basis so Baha Manhattan will soon be a memory. Bike will be used for solo rides to BRP,etc. I have ridden an 00 and 01 when they first came out and recently I rode Dave Washburns 03/04(?) and really like his bike. For some reason I have this jones for a modern bike. Plus I will now have a real garage so why not fill it up with bikes?

Tom

The dealer in Wichita, Kansas has a Nero Corsa. I think he has it discounted to about $9K. I may be wrong on that. Putting the case colors aside, you would be better off with the Ohlins suspension.

60767[/snapback]

It's a Rosso Corsa. I've seen it. Wish I knew he had discounted it. I nearly paid that much for my used one with 1100 miles.

I've riden Guzziriders rosso corsa around some Italian twisty roads (and local Yorkshire dirt tracks) and its suspension is way above the standard setup on mine (which aren't bad, well front is good but not so happy with rear), as he says, it floats over bumps and seems to hold the road much easier than mine. I've also ridden a Coppa Italia with Ohlins and this too had impresive handling.

I guess it depends on what you use it for and what your local conditions are but if you can afford it its worth the extra (and there are a few 2nd hand rosso corsas about these days making it cheaper still).

I'm now after an Ohlins rear shock :grin: .

Mal :helmet:

I've riden Guzziriders rosso corsa around some Italian twisty roads (and local Yorkshire dirt tracks) and its suspension is way above the standard setup on mine (which aren't bad, well front is good but not so happy with rear), as he says, it floats over bumps and seems to hold the road much easier than mine.  I've also ridden a Coppa Italia with Ohlins and this too had impresive handling. 

I guess it depends on what you use it for and what your local conditions are but if you can afford it its worth the extra (and there are a few 2nd hand rosso corsas about these days making it cheaper still).

I'm now after an Ohlins rear shock  :grin: .

Mal  :helmet:

60778[/snapback]

One thing I haven't seen in this discussion (tho I may have missed it) is rider weight as a factor. I am a ... erm ... well-fed fellow. :food: Seriously, at 205, 5'11", I likely need better suspension than the lighter rider I wish I was!

Bill ... off to office on Ballabio in a few ... by the "long cut." :race:

One thing I haven't seen in this discussion (tho I may have missed it) is rider weight as a factor.    :race:

60783[/snapback]

My weight is 140-5'6". I called the dealer in Wichita and he gave me the standard price of $11,400. I may just bid on the Rosso Nero on e-Bay and that is just a ride upstate if I can get it at a decent price.

Tom