2002 LeMans shifter Pawl Spring

Jim Malm

• 2 weeks later...

Mr G's UK Technical bod has emphasised to my dealer the importance of fitting a 16mm diametre shaft!!!!! Yes, both the dealer principla himself, and the after sales manager checked this out!! Guzzi, at least in the UK are advising a 16 mm shaft!!!!!

Scary. Anyway, we now have a multitude of springs (thanks all) and a selectin of shafts, including 15mm.

Mr G's UK Technical bod has emphasised to my dealer the importance of fitting a 16mm diametre shaft!!!!! Yes, both the dealer principla himself, and the after sales manager checked this out!! Guzzi, at least in the UK are advising a 16 mm shaft!!!!!

Scary. Anyway, we now have a multitude of springs (thanks all) and a selectin of shafts, including 15mm.

63310[/snapback]

Hmmmm, 16mm? thats odd. I thought thats what caused the spring to bind and break :huh: I was going to tear mine apart and file it to 15mm IF its 16mm. Now what?

I like picture 19.

It looks like a bunch of pilgrims at the end of their trek, asking the great Guzzi Guru unanswerable questions....like out of a Monty Python skit. :lol:

63343[/snapback]

:lol:

only thing is – it's clearly a leprechaun

probably get more sense out of one of those fellers, mind

Hmmmm, 16mm? thats odd. I thought thats what caused the spring to bind and break  :huh:  I was going to tear mine apart and file it to 15mm IF its 16mm. Now what?

63314[/snapback]

As there is now a wider coil spring, apparently, the explanation could be that newer bikes now come with a 16mm boss and a bigger spring coil. The bulletin that Baldini posted had specific range numbers. Maybe bikes after that should be 16mm? Why that should be – who knows :huh2: ? Could be a case of remedying a mistake by making it the norm, instead of going back to original spec.

Anyway, it's mostly around 2002 that the problems occured, wasn't it? There's a date list / poll somewhere. If anyone with a newer model (2004/05?) is checking their's, best to be aware of the possibility that 16mm might be the correct size. Only way to know would be to physically check the operation of the two parts together.

I like picture 19.

It looks like a bunch of pilgrims at the end of their trek, asking the great Guzzi Guru unanswerable questions....like out of a Monty Python skit. :lol:

63343[/snapback]

......and on Wednesdays,we'd fit the 16mm arm unless Luigi had pasta last night, see it makes him fat and he can't reach the other box.Now when Lucchia is on gearboxes, she dont like the 16mm since it catches her nails, so she puts the other ones in if there's any left, but if they're all gone we just use whatever's lying around.

Now,big ends, wait til you hear this, you'll like this one.....................

Thanks for the service sheet, very handy. Any chance of a higher res version by e-mail?

The "16mm" advice/instructiin is what my dealer was told to to by MG in the UK.

Anyway, will be a ble to report back tomorrow, after measuring all the bits, and taking thier part numbers.

.... Any chance of a higher res version by e-mail?...

Windchill - Sure, I'll do it this evening.

Does your frame # fall outside the #'s specified in the bulletin. I would imagine those #'s just cover a production period?

KB :sun:

...the explanation could be that newer bikes now come with a 16mm boss and a bigger spring coil. The bulletin that Baldini posted had specific range numbers. Maybe bikes after that should be 16mm?....

but...if later bikes did have 16mm boss & larger spring, why not just fit newer, bigger spring to the failed bikes? Why retro-fit 15mm boss & spring? :huh2:

KB :sun:

MG spring and 15mm boss seem made for each other!!!

The only further "alteration" which we feel will help matters is to "dress" or smooth off the rough edges of the steel "quadrant" against which the peg of the spring sits. On mine, the finish is so rough that there is potential for drag to exacerbate the binding effect.

All going back together now.