2002 LeMans shifter Pawl Spring

Jim Malm

I have to agree with Windchill- although like Most Guzzi owners I don't mind getting my hands oily, the factory should make them right in the first place.

Most problems can be, and are sorted by the owners but that is because on the whole the dealer network is not up to scratch. Got to say that my local dealer Moto Strada have been excellent and have sorted all my warranty claims- new tacho, speedo cable, warped brake disk, gearshift spring and several relays but I think this is the exception to the rule.

When you buy a new bike it should be perfect- most other manufacturers can manage that.

Saying that I love my V11 despite all the usual issues that have occured and its the only bike I have wanted to keep forever.

Hopefully things will be better with the Breva 1100 and Griso and Guzzi can begin to build their reputation positively.

Guy :helmet:

.... the factory should make them right in the first place........I love my V11 despite all the usual issues that have occured and its the only bike I have wanted to keep forever....

Sure, it'd be great if they came 100% sorted. But they haven't done. I'm just saying how it is, not how it should be. If the problem is the pawl arm/spring, Windchill could get his bike sorted quickly. It is not a major fix. The parts & knowledge are readily available. His choice seems be to stick to ways which he knows don't work for him, then bring in the lawyers. I'm simply saying if he really wanted the bike on the road - it is easily done.

In the time I've had them, Guzzis have always demanded some commitment from their owner. Initiative & self-sufficiency either in themselves or their dealer. The return is, as Guzzirider says: the only bike I have wanted to keep for ever.

Maybe the factory need a legal kick up the arse, but if Windchill really wants the Guzzi on the road, there's easier & quicker ways.

KB :sun:

On the road is where it should be. And, this is actually a bike I had intended to keep for good.

However, if the factory are aware that owners accept shoddy workmanship, poor quality control, and weak back up as "character" why should they bother doing anythin about it?

I get the feeling I have uttered the unutterable here - dissing the Guzz!!

:)

I love my bike, but there are limits to the amount of carp anyone should expect having paid over £7000 for the privelidge of ownership. If I want ot tinker, I buy something older and accept the consequences. But no on a new machine.

Whichever way you look at it, there is simply no excuse.

I'm with KB on this. Guzzi is still a small manufacturer of exotic bikes, without the quality control anyone could possibly expect from the likes of a Honda or Suzuki. If you've ever owned a MG or a triumph sportscar, you know what I'm talking about.

You just have to expect a different level of commitment from an Guzzi than if you went out and bought a Yamaha. Anything less is just unreasonable and silly.

that said, they're pretty well sorted out of the box as is. The issues with them are (mostly) simple fixes and board such as this one make them easier still. If you're not afflicted by the waxpaper valve guides or exploding gearboxes ( and most experiences are that most are not), the other known issues are small in comparison.

Even if you spent 3 times as much on your bike, you can't really expect more. Shall I tell you the insane number of issues with Rolls-Royces? You wouldn't believe...........

Each to his own!! I do appear to be very much in the minoruty, but still can't help feeling that such "faithfull" acceptance of "character" traits serves only to perpetuate Guzzi's disinclination to get off their arses and do something about the issues.

Ultimately, they do appear to have aspirations to be more "mainstream".

Small car and boat manufacturers built reputation on being small enough to take more care, and pay more attention to detail.

I think we should expect more from Guzzi- I know they are a small volume manufacturer but it is not rocket science to set up a decent Quality Control system.

Yes MGs and Triumphs made bad quality cars- hence both companies have gone out of existence and no longer make cars.

It sounds like the factory are doing something about it- I understand the test Griso has done 250,000 miles on the test bench.

I am quite happy to fix my bikes when they are out of warranty- in fact I negotiated £500 off the price of Helen's second hand V11 on the basis I would service it myself (did not trust Triumph dealer) and since then it has not gone anywhere near a dealer.

This forum is brilliant for sharing ideas and information- it has helped me out many a time- I woukld have never have known to make sure the gear spring ratchet arm for Helen's V11 should have a smaller boss if I had not read BFG's posts for example.

It would be nice to have less problems to discuss but they have stopped making V11s so we are where we are.

Guy :helmet:

Have they!!! Stopped making V11's that is?

What actually occured to me whilst going over all this is that if, as suggested, I had repaired the bike myself, I would have probably voided my warranty in the process!!

I am trying to persuade MG to get their act together. If that makes me a heretic and a sinner, prepare the stake!!!

To be honest, the info on this forum was pretty much instrumental in getting MG to acknowledge a general problem in the first place. But if no one shouts, why should they bother doing owt about it.

I would have probably voided my warranty in the process!!

61324[/snapback]

Not necessarily. With agreement of dealer, they sent the parts and I did the work. Dealer gets paid for work, warranty stands. Best way.

Sorry, Windchill, but a Guzzi is no more or less likely to break than anything else- japs, brits,yanks,anything.

I know a couple of guys who own bike shops and EVERY manufacturer is guilty of selling bikes which need remedial work. Check out your local BMW dealer and see how much warranty work is being done, and how many owners are arguing about the bill.

I agree that it would be great if they didn't have any niggles, but they do, and at least from the point of view of home maintainance, the average guy can have a go at sorting it. Try that with a Ducati, and see how far you get before you have to remortgage the house to buy the tooling required.

I'm sorry you've had problems(as I have myself) but I'd rather have the guzz than anything else cos of the way it makes me feel.

Christ,it's only money.

I suppose its all a matter of perspective: to me, paint flaking, throttle bodies falling off, and the tacho misting are niggles. Being gearless, three times in 2000 miles is NOT a niggle. Particularly when Mr Guzzi states "As these parts are the modified ones, it is unlikely that any problems will arise" and the damn thing fails again - 750 miles after he wrote that!!!!

All things mechanical are prone to problems, its just how they are dealt with as much as anything. My car went in today to have a sensor checked out. That was after I rang the dealer on Saturday, and he arranged a loan car for today. Tomorrow they will ring to ensure that I am happy.

We must not loose sight of the fact that Moto Guzzi are definitely NOT a quaint cottage industry working out of some tiny shed by candle light: they are a bloody big industrial concern, who have been doing the job long enough to get it right. They have been, and continue to be part of Italy's largest industrial conglomorates.

Moto Guzzi are not even independent, like Truimph for example, they are a "brand" withing a huge group.

I am obviuosly alone in this view, but hope we can all agree to disagree, if only to keep this very interesting banter going.

"I disagree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" or words to that effect.

Hwyl fawr te!! :bier:

Well put, Windchill. Like you say it's a case of differing perspectives.

Keep yer chin up,it'll get sorted out.

I dont necessarily disagree with you, but whilst MG may be part of a huge combine, I get the feeling that investment from Aprilia wasn't as great as has been touted, remember that Aprilia was haemorraging money into motogp at the time. I certainly dont see any great improvement in quality control from the Daytona/ Sport1100 days.Maybe I'm wrong.

And they're Italian after all. You can excuse a lot for the way it looks and goes. Well, I can. Perfection? Pah! Gimme a few flaws any day.

That said, if it looked like the Breva, I'd have driven my truck over it by now.

I'm right there with you on this one Windchill. If something is of poor design, the manufacturer should fix it. I don't think anybody is looking for a lifetime of trouble free service, but if a component that has low mileage failures as regularly as is illustrated here, it appears to be of poor design or made of poor materials. MG should step up and make it right. This type of break down is a little more annoying than typical "guzzi character" stuff.

On a related note my, when riding my 02 LeMans (2100 miles), suddenly I'm missing many shifts. Ususlly 3rd gear but others as well. Anybody seen this symptom?

I'm completely with you, Windchill. I spent a lot of money on my V11 with the understanding that I was dealing with a company who has been in business for, what, 80 yrs?? Reputation as reliable and bulletproof as BMW except with soul. Easy to work on low maintenance bikes.

My piggo has never run right, my dealer makes half hearted efforts to make it better (I'm on my own now with god knows what they've actually done to the thing). I've spent tons of money on aftermarket parts to resolve "issues".

Now, today, after a grand total of 12K kms, the goose is nothing more than a pile of parts lying on the floor of my garage. I've become completely disgusted with Guzzi. Still waiting for warranty claims from 3 years ago (good luck). Hoping one day I'll actually get motivated to put it back together.

For the brief period of time the thing was working reasonably well I absolutely loved it.

If I had wanted a project bike, I could have gotten one a lot cheaper than this.

Anyone who tells me I should expect this from any manufacturer in this time and age... please step within slapping distance. The Chinese are cranking out better quality bikes from factories that have only been in operation for a couple of years.

I expect, and have paid for, better.

Rj