Medical Question

Mike Stewart

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, has anyone else had a fracture pelvis? How long till you can take the first walking steps? How much pain did you have? What to do when your back also goes out of alignment and causes you great pain from a pinched nerve. I can only sleep on my back at the moment, if I twist my legs with out twisting my hips, a sharp pain from my pelvic hits me (not a fun thing at all). Even with the meds I have for the pain, it is still quite sharp.

Thanks all,

Mike

61166[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

Man...sorry to hear of your fall. I haven't broken my pelvis but when they fixed my knee and were pulling out the metal rod from my bone Dr. said you can't take pain away from bone, just have to "tough it out" I sure was not happy about that! One of my friends did break his pelvis, he took a long time to heal, hopefully you will have a speedy rehab. richr

What to do when your back also goes out of alignment and causes you great pain from a pinched nerve. Even with the meds I have for the pain, it is still quite sharp.

Thanks all,

Mike

Restoring joint function and minimizing impingement of the nerves can be a long and arduous process. Yet, much can be done although the experts disagree.

One of the simplest, most effective home treatments is applying ice pack in 20 minute sessions up to three times a day. You can make up an ice pack with 4 cups) one liter) water and 2 cups ( 0.5 liter) rubbing ( isoprpyl) alcohol. Make this up in a heavy gallon freezer bag and double bag. This mixture freezes to slush which will coform to the back or pelvis. Once frozen wrap the bag in a damp ( not wet)lightweight towel like a dish rag. Sit with the pack applied to the affecetd area with just enough pressure to hold it in place. It is best NOT to lie down upon it, but to trap it behind you in a comfortable chair. Of course the sensation will be cold, then perhaps some stinging or aching in the first four minutes followed by numbing of the region. Expect to stiff arising from the treatment for around 30 minutes.

The ice has the effect of attenuating nerve activity and diminishing inflammation.

Those here in the US have the advantage of the availability of Chiropractic. Chiropractors are doctors whose practice concerns the impingement of joints on nerves, especially those of the spine. Various techniques are used to free the jammed joint and reduce the effect on the nerve. The techniques can range from aggressive manipulative 'pop' release of the joint to no-contact magnetic or energy related procedures.

The most appropriate technique just after injuries such as these would be SOT (Sacro-Occipital Technique) or Activator instrument. As the condition progresses the technique can be transitioned.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to locate a good Chiropractor. Asking your medical doctor can be like asking your Ducati dealer what he thinks of that new Guzzi Griso.

Restoring joint function and minimizing impingement of the nerves can be a long and arduous process. Yet, much can be done although the experts disagree.

One of the simplest, most effective home treatments is applying ice pack in 20 minute sessions up to three times a day. You can make up an ice pack with 4 cups) one liter) water and 2 cups ( 0.5 liter) rubbing ( isoprpyl) alcohol. Make this up in a heavy gallon freezer bag and double bag. This mixture freezes to slush which will coform to the back or pelvis. Once frozen wrap the bag in a damp ( not wet)lightweight towel like a dish rag. Sit with the pack applied to the affecetd area with just enough pressure to hold it in place. It is best NOT to lie down upon it, but to trap it behind you in a comfortable chair. Of course the sensation will be cold, then perhaps some stinging or aching in the first four minutes followed by numbing of the region. Expect to stiff arising from the treatment for around 30 minutes.

The ice has the effect of attenuating nerve activity and diminishing inflammation.

Those here in the US have the advantage of the availability of Chiropractic. Chiropractors are doctors whose practice concerns the impingement of joints on nerves, especially those of the spine. Various techniques are used to free the jammed joint and reduce the effect on the nerve. The techniques can range from aggressive manipulative 'pop' release of the joint to no-contact magnetic or energy related procedures.

The most appropriate technique just after injuries such as these would be SOT (Sacro-Occipital Technique) or Activator instrument. As the condition progresses the technique can be transitioned.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult to locate a good Chiropractor. Asking your medical doctor can be like asking your Ducati dealer what he thinks of that new Guzzi Griso.

61405[/snapback]

Hi Doc,

I had the CT scan of the pelvic regine this morning. I was quite suprised when they told me it would take two days for them to read them. If they see a fracture, they will give my doctor a call today.

The body parts that were tight yesterday (upper back) are now fine, but today my lower back and pelvic area (butt) are tied in knots (especially from the wheel chair ride in the hostpital).

I do have a great Chiropractor, she is out of town for another week. The hard part of being in a crash, it takes about 3 days to get over muscle soreness from moving past the norm of every muscle. Another problem I have is I still can not lay on either side of my hips without great discomfort. My Chiropractor usually puts me on my side to crack and align my back after appling heat and working on the knotted up muscles.

I am going to try icing like the way you suggested. Do you suggest any type of heat (alternate)?

Thanks again,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear of your injury.

Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

I've been planning on my first track day next month if I get all the gear in time.

-Hal,

61449[/snapback]

Hal,

Which track are you going to? I have to admitt, it is an addiction. I can't wait to do another.

I still am not sure why I lost the rear tire and low sided. I finally was able to hobble down stairs and look at the bike. The tires are still sticky but there seems to be some smoothness to the left rear tire. All I remember is hearing the engine rpm's come up while I was exiting turn 13. Had to be something on the track to make me loose traction.

Make sure you buy the best gear you can, you will not believe how fast the pavement will destroy a good set of leathers. Double stitched seams are another must, just a short slide will make the leather panels come apart.

Have fun,

Mike

Mike,

Glad to hear you have a good DC. Not everyone speaks 'the language'. Heat will make you more moblie. i.e.: loosen things up. but at the cost of increased nerve activity ( pain) and inflammation.

The typical 'roll' technique may be too provocative for your injury and better served by traction techniques or 'drop' technique like 'Thompson'. Depending on your Doc's training they may be able to provide for this transitional care.

Another fabulous modality avaiable to both Chiropractors and Phyisiotherapists is Interferential Electrical Therapy. Not all electrotherapy is 'interferential' so be sure to inquire.

Wish I could see you tommorow at the clinic. We have what my staff has come to call "Club Nite." This is the time when they try to schedule all the motorcyclists as I am prone to disappearing out the back door to assess fuel injection set-ups and the center of gravity of luggage attachments. The average patient is remiss to tolerate such triviality.

Yet, without riding, what is life? :bike:

Mike,

what is the first track day like as a "beginner" I',m little intimdated already as not being a

fast rider in the first place.

There's a group out of MI that will help set the bike up etc...

-Hal

61471[/snapback]

I've been to exactly one track day, so I'm qualified. Heck, even if I'm not- I'll fake it.

First time out is a little nerve wracking, but it's amazing how fast you will get comfortable and start to enjoy the track. Don't fall into the psychological traps of 'am I fast enough' or 'what if someone passes me'. Ride at whatever speed you are comfortable at. Focus on improving your riding- one thing at a time.

It is physically gruelling- take some light, carb-rich snacks. And water. Lots and lots and lots of water. Salt pills also help as will sweat a lot and lose electrolytes.

It's fun- relax- listen to the instructors (I assume you'll have some instruction since it's the first time) and enjoy it. It's a blast. No oncoming traffic. :race:

Mike,

what is the first track day like as a "beginner" I',m little intimdated already as not being a

fast rider in the first place.

There's a group out of MI that will help set the bike up etc...

-Hal

61471[/snapback]

Hal,

The first time at the track can be overwelming. There is alot to learn even before you get on the track.

The first will be bike prep. Tire pressures must be adjusted for the track, they usually run 30 to 31 psi front and rear. The newer Michelins run lower pressures than this. You will need to disconnect the rear tail lamp or tape it up compleatly so no light will show through, remove the rear view mirrors, tape up the headlamp, and some require taping up of the turn signals as well. You will not have to change your coolant since your bike is air cooled. Also, bring extra gas (I usually run 1/2 tank), an extra bike key, some tools for who knows what, a canopy for shade, chairs, lots of water and electrolytes. Sunscreen if the sun is out.

There will be a riders meeting before the track is open. Listen closely to what all the flags mean. Also learn how the get on and off the track safely.

Gear, I use full leathers, I prefer a one piece suit. This is mainly if you do go down, there is one less zipper you need to worry about coming apart. You will need a Dot helmet as well. Good boots will give more support and extra protection where needed. A tinted helmet visor is nice if it is sunny out, using sunglasses always seemed like a pain to keep them from riding up while riding.

This is the most important, HAVE FUN, RELAX, breath in, breath out, stay loose, be smooth. Forget what is behind you, be predictable so the other riders know what you are going to do. Start in the slowest class to learn the track. As speed increases, so will lean angle, adjust your riding and foot position as needed. Passing on trackdays will usually be on the inside and outside. It takes some getting used to it, stay calm and relaxed, no sudden moves, keep your line.

My wife did do a two day novice track school and she was the most novice in the class. The instructors had her ride a tighter line around the track to give the other riders more room to pass (outside passing only). This worked out well for her. You will find that you do not need the full width of the track (like the pro's), They incourage tighter lines to make passing safer.

Hope this helps you out,

Mike

Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about the wreck. I must say you certainly have a terrific attitude about the whole thing. Hopefully they get you patched up and going again soon.

Three cheers for the dwindling few who actually live their own lives. :bier:

Best of luck!

Bruce

Mike,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I have a get off on my Lemans III 4 years ago that resulted in similar injuries, a pelvis cracked in 5 places and a severely out of whack back. Of crutches for 4-5 weeks, no cast of any kind, just orders to keep the hip as immobilized as possible, realizing that some motion and weight will be required just to negotiate getting around on crutches. The pain wasn't so bad when not trying to move around, but pretty bad when mobile. Most of the Pain subsided after 3-4 weeks. The good news is healing was 100% with absolutely no long term effects. Good as new in 6-8 weeks. I'm in my 50's so if you are younger you should heal even quicker.

All in all I've had a number of other injuries that were more painful.

Good luck my friend. I wish you all the best. My wife says "so that's how you cracked that thing!" Ha-ha.

Joe

So, the CT scans finally made it to my doctor this afternoon. I have 4 fractures in my pelvis. As he puts it, you have alot going on.

The pain is less, or now I manage it better. Walking is nearly impossible with out support, though it feels like I can stand all day long.

Looks like I have to give it time to heal correctly and then go to rehab to relearn how to walk. Or should I go with, No pain, No gain?

Mike

Or should I go with, No pain, No gain?

61791[/snapback]

Ow! Don't go for the No Pain, No Gain approach until the Doctor orders it.

And then the more you push yourself to do the recommended therapy the better...but, I suppose you could over do it.

At least you have a cute nurse :wub:

So,  the CT scans finally made it to my doctor this afternoon.  I have 4 fractures in my pelvis.  As he puts it, you have alot going on.

The pain is less, or now I manage it better.  Walking is nearly impossible with out support, though it feels like I can stand all day long.

Looks like I have to give it time to heal correctly and then go to rehab to relearn how to walk.  Or should I go with, No pain, No gain?

Mike

61791[/snapback]

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mike,

It's ggod to get a bottom line on your injuries. You can't believe the number of people who go on hurting and won't follow through to get a thorough diagnosis.

Definately the fractures will benefit from being as immobile as possible. Some getting around will help stimulate healing but lay off the bunjie jumping for 4-6 weeks. Again, bone heals very, very well. It's the ligaments that take so long and will determine the degree of difficulty you'll have in the future. Plan on a regular series of visits with your Chiropractor for the months to come.

Vitamin-mineral supplements are extremely beneficial especially in the first three months. Plan on taking 3000 mg vitamin C daily to promote the knitting in the connective tissue. (DON'T do this if you're on a Beta blocker med). Make sure the C has a bioflavinoid. If the C makes you queazy or gives you diarrhea, you're getting too much.

Take also a good quality multi mineral supplement. Bones are made of the stuff.

Take good care yourself and you'll be back in saddle in no time! :bike: