Medical Question

Mike Stewart

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, broke my pelvis about 12 years ago, came off the bike at about 40, skited across the road and hit the kerb. Bad enough, but the plug spanner in my pocket did the damage and I had a chunk out my knee.

The AA brought me and the bike home and I started into fixing it but moving was getting hard. Felt better after a bath, but I was f@cking sore for a couple of weeks then it got better.

Around 4 years later, I'm in for an x-ray after coming off again and the guy asks me when I broke my pelvis(???) D idnt know I had, but I remembered how sore it was.

Make sure if they plate it, they do it square, or you'll end up walking sideways like a crab.

Ouch! Heal up quick Mike!

And do get a second opinion. I had a dislocated shoulder in the spring (hockey) that was misdiagnosed. It was dislocated alright, but the upper arm bone also had a nasty spiral fracture. This was missed for 5 weeks before they finally took xrays. Kept telling me that it would be fine next week...

I thought it felt broken...

cheers,

Rj

Hmmm, internet medical advice  . . . probably as shaky as gettng your tuning specs off a Dutch forum. ( my Sport wouldn't be running without this forum).

Sprains are injuries to the ligaments , especially those forming joints holding bone to bone. The greatest area of concern for you would be injury to the sacroiliac joints and the junction of the base of the spine with the pelvis.

The good news is there is a lot that can be done to rehabilitate injured ligaments. The bad news is that it is a long haul. 40-50% of ligament (joint) healing occurs within 6 months. The remainder takes from 1 - 3 years.

What you do to restore function over these months to years will make a world of difference.

61198[/snapback]

I second this advice. My wife damaged her pelvis in a simple fall and it took months for SI damage and a displaced sacrum to be diagnosed, despite me asking about it. Nearly two years now and still some problems.

One of the difficulties is that some physio exercises can be quite painful, so the temptation is to avoid the pain. Balancing pain, exercise and healing is quite complicated and the assistance of a sympathetic partner is recommended.

Good luck.

mike

I second this advice.  My wife damaged her pelvis in a simple fall and it took months for SI damage and a displaced sacrum to be diagnosed, despite me asking about it.  Nearly two years now and still some problems.

One of the difficulties is that some physio exercises can be quite painful, so the temptation is to avoid the pain.  Balancing pain, exercise and healing is quite complicated and the assistance of a sympathetic partner is recommended.

Good luck.

mike

61285[/snapback]

I usually can take pain, but this pain is very sharp and gives no warning signs. Just a movement a fraction of an inch. of my legs sends me screaming. It is hard to tell now if my back is out of alignment and having a nerve pinch when I move (very sharp pain) I have a doctors appointment today, hopefully the pain issues can somewhat be resolved. The prescription right now is 2 5MG Oxycodone W/APAP every 4 hours and 600MG of Ibuprofen every 4 hours. This takes away the daily aches and pains, but does not get close for handling the sharp pains that I am getting.

Mike

When I broke my shoulder(and ribs) the first week was the most painful.

I suspect within a week, you will have less than half as much pain.

I also went for accupuncture to help with the pain.

It worked a little, nothing miraculous, just enough to help me cut down on the dope.

I also went to Oriental Herbalist, and they gave me some powder to make a mud pack out of to put over the area.

This also reduced the pain a little and was supposed to speed the healing...it did feel a little better, but it is messy stuff. I have no idea what it was....just a blend of herbs, and who knows what else.

Oh, and the fun part was that I had to mix it with Gin! :drink:

But don't mix pills and alcohol.

Guest Dave Pott

Damn Mike!! I cringed while reading your intial post :(

My dad was a Scaler for the U.S. Forest Service and at age 58 fell off a huge log at the mill...8-10 feet onto cement floor. Fractured his Pelvis and was in great pain for about 4 days or so and then eased up surprisingly quick after that.

Even at 57 he healed up quite well(no pain later) and was snow skiing again 8 months later :D

As strong and healthy as you seemed at the MotoGP I would expect and hope you'll recuperate just fine.

I have a doctors appointment today, hopefully the pain issues can somewhat be resolved.

Mike

61301[/snapback]

Back from the doc and the word is . . . ?

Back from the doc and the word is . . . ?

61367[/snapback]

OK, my doctor looked at the xray's that were taken right after the fall and could not make anything out of them. Said they were terrible.

He poked, moved my legs around, pushed and pulled, had another opion and he beleives my ilio-sacral joint is fractured.

I am scheduled for Cat Scan tomorrow morning.

At least he didn't give me a lecture on how dangerous Motor Cycles are.

Till tomorrow, Mike

Mike, that sucks! Pain is a pain... I don't have any experience with real pain, so I can't give you advise. I can only wish you all the best in the upcoming (hopefully less painfull) period.

What I don't understand: all this medication and you still can use a computer? :huh2:

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your crash and fractured pelvis.

I broke mine in 2001 back in my heydays as a competitive bicycle racer and I still have some difficulties doing my shoelaces, getting up from the sofa and the like.

It's not that I have a 40 lbs beer belly or my arms are too short, it's just the phantom pain that strikes now and then. It's like a flash from the hip all the way down to the toes and it really wakes you up! My doctor said that it is the nerves that are trying to reconnect (I had several tendons torn as well as keyhole surgery in my left knee....) and it may take up to 7-8 years before it stops. At least I only have 4 years to go, so I'm looking at the bright side of life :P

As for rehabilitation training I spent 6 months doing physio training twice a week + whatever training I could do at home. I live up in a forrest area and I was dying to walk the the dog. The problem was that Herman the German is a 56 kg beast and I didn't dare taking the risk. Can you imagine what would happen if he met one of his favourite rivals and yours truly was staggering along with my two canes? Neither could I....

To cut a long story short I can't run anymore and I gave up bicycling as well. I may take biking up again but it's not the same when you have covered so many kms as I used to do (17000-18000 kms a year). I know it's a psychological threashold I have to pass but right now I just don't care about bicycling any more.

All the best to you and I do hope that you're up and running and back in the saddle soon.

best wishes

Søren

OK, my doctor looked at the xray's that were taken right after the fall and could not make anything out of them.  Said they were terrible.

He poked, moved my legs around, pushed and pulled, had another opion and he beleives my ilio-sacral joint is fractured. 

I am scheduled for Cat Scan tomorrow morning.

At least he didn't give me a lecture on how dangerous Motor Cycles are.

Till tomorrow, Mike

61369[/snapback]

Never heard of a fractured joint. But, anyway, a good physio will be able to help you dramatically with it.

You are getting the same symptoms as my wife, so I assume that the injuries are at least similar. _Once she got the right physio_ the improvement in her situation was dramatic.

She got the injury by slipping on a stair, so don't let anyone give you any crap.....

mike

Mike, sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds like your doctor has a handle on things so you should be fine in no time. :thumbsup:

If you would like to fly East, get down on all fours, and bark I will give you my expert veterinary opinion at no charge. :D:D