And T140V late model 750 Bonneys would do 140mph,

T150 Tridents do 150mph and T160 Tridents do 160MPH

got to love the Marketing Department,active for 30years at

Triumph.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Single carb (he guessed, raking dusty image from cobweb strewn memory).

It was 25 years ago, but I'm pretty sure it was a monobloc.

Last saw the old girl embedded in the side of the local bread van as I took off down the street,clip clopping in my cowboy boots like a clydesdale horse on speed. 17 years old, no tax,ins,license,lost the front end on gravel and she ploughed straight into the van.

The neighbours told me later that Jimmy the driver emerged from the back with a married lady he was knocking off, there was bread and cakes everywhere :D

He beat a hasty retreat too,as the woman was the wife of a local heavy and I got a hiding off my mam cos the shop had no bread left. :P

Over the last couple of nights I've spent many an hour trawling through the internet looking at various Triumph twins of various vintages. There are several books on the subject and detail model changes year by year :wacko: but can't find it reproduced.

Obviously there are lots of pictures, the period ones tend to be small and grainy or pencil drawings from strange angles.

This one - T90 350cc Tiger is about one of the best matches, despite my fluent Japanese I'm unable to confirm that its been restorded to as original.

I might beforced to the local lending library to find one of those text books

Over the last couple of nights I've spent many an hour 'making enquiries' in the back of bread vans.

I might be forced to the local 'patisserie' to find one of those nice floury baps...

All in the line of duty, you understand.

61681[/snapback]

• 4 weeks later...
Not that I know anything, but I was under the impression that the T100 was so named as it would do 100 mph out of the box, and the T120 Bonny would do 120 mph...

Rj

61577[/snapback]

Yes, the marketing dept at Meriden Triumph did have a big imagination. It would take a very spot on T120 to do 120 mph. I've ridden many, at sea level, and will confirm that most all British twins over 650cc have to breath extremely hard to do 120 mph. Tail winds, down hill, and extra tall gearing [120 mph will red line the North American issued bikes] will see 120. Just don't hang around there long. Hot alumimum fragments imbedded into the legs is painfull.

A T140 twin, and T150/T160 triples? Ridden both extensively. A good T160 [the very best of the Meriden 3 cylinder bikes] will do 125 mph if you wait a while. A T140? 110mph, maybe!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Gregory grasshopper

you are all correct in parts....... the right answer is that it IS indeed Mr V Rossi testing the 2007 Triumph Retro-racer, in another vain attempt to find a bike he can't win a MotoGP title on.

Notice how in the first picture he is practising his feet out 'they (Sete) shall not pass' single leading shoe braking manoeuver.

In the second pic he is sharing a joke with Marco about Biaggi putting his poor pre-season testing down to not finding the right rizzla paper to set the advance retard mechanism on his BSA B31.

:2c: Actually I think it is a US market 64 T100C ? '64 was the last year they had the mouth organ tank badge and two-tone seat. I thought 5T/TA didn't have a rev counter, and I thought Daytona as a model name didn't come along until the late 60's, although there is clearly some script on the side panel. Who cares - it's a lovely bike, and he could easily have been on a Honda CB72 or something equally unappealing. :)