Stalling LeMans

dmoon64

2003 LeMans. 4800 miles. Just changed oil, probably under 1/2 tank of gas.

Way home last night. Accelerate from roll through stop sign in a left turn. Bike starts bucking. Engine stalls and I roll to stop. Refire goes 10-15 yards bike stalls again. Get it started idles fine let it sit for awhile. Head home 38 miles runs fine. This morning, start it up idles fine get about 1 mile from home Left hand turn starts bucking again. Feels like the engine is misfiring. Doesn't stall but I take it back home anyway.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Darryl

I do have to move the handlebars periodically to get the bike to start. Could the old connections cause a problem while the bike is under way?

61519[/snapback]

Absolutely. It's tedious, but you should probably check any connection you can get a hold of, particularly ones associated with the headlight/switchgear/ignition.

I do have to move the handlebars periodically to get the bike to start. Could the old connections cause a problem while the bike is under way?

61519[/snapback]

Yank the tank and clean the clutch switch connectors or bypass it entirely. Turning the handle bars is the first indication that you have this specific problem. Those connectors are under the tank at the left front. Look for a white/black and a black pair of wires with bullet connectors. They're also shown as #59 on V11 Sport schematic.. They're shown on this diagram and not on the one from the owners manual.

This may not be your specific problem, but it is the first best choice to check given the description.

Yank the tank and clean the clutch switch connectors or bypass it entirely. Turning the handle bars is the first indication that you have this specific problem. Those connectors are under the tank at the left front. Look for a white/black and a black pair of wires with bullet connectors. They're also shown as #59 on V11 Sport schematic.. They're shown on this diagram and not on the one from the owners manual.

This may not be your specific problem, but it is the first best choice to check given the description.

61551[/snapback]

That was the source of my starting problem. I chose to completely replace (although not required) the low grade connectors and problem solved.

I didn't think much of this until now (I'm slow), but you know, the funny thing is that I was starting my bike the other day and the starter didn't go when I hit the button. It went the second time...so I think I'm going to be in for this as well and I'll probably disable the kickstand safety also.

Guest ratchethack
If I can get the electricals to work with upgraded components, I'll just let it protect me.

Wise choice, IHMO. See thread here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5736&hl=

Not making fun of Gil in any way - I'm sure one of his objectives has been to elevate awareness of what can happen with a disabled switch.

I've owned nearly a dozen bikes without this feature and it never happened to me with any of 'em... But if the number of times I've shifted into gear on the Guzzi only to snuff the ignition is any indicator :blush: - without my sidestand switch intact, there's not much doubt in my mind that I'd have "pole-vaulted" it at least a few times by now... :whistle: My theory is that this is due to the stand's unique forward position conspiring with the width of the engine and tank. When it's down, I can just barely see the tip of the stand from my riding position. :glare:

Wise choice, IHMO.  See thread here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5736&hl=

Not making fun of Gil in any way - I'm sure one of his objectives has been to elevate awareness of what can happen with a disabled switch.

I've owned nearly a dozen bikes without this feature and it never happened to me with any of 'em... But if the number of times I've shifted into gear on the Guzzi only to snuff the ignition is any indicator :blush:  - without my sidestand switch intact, there's not much doubt in my mind that I'd have "pole-vaulted" it at least a few times by now... :whistle:  My theory is that this is due to the stand's unique forward position conspiring with the width of the engine and tank.  When it's down, I can just barely see the tip of the stand from my riding position. :glare:

61580[/snapback]

I can't count how many times I've taken off on the Sport 1100i and forgotten to retract that damn sidestand. I've just been lucky that nothing bad has happened. MG used to offer an upgrade kit (Corsa's already got it) for a paltry $134 for the kit! I'm quite certain that I can do it for less. One of these days. Maybe. Or not.

I have deasembled from its position the side stand switch because the bike wouldn't start even with the stand retracted.It had a problem of not making some kind of correct contact and the bike wouldn't start.

I think I will fix it but sure thing is when it malfunctions is pure hell situation.

I have also modified the stand so that now is retracted on and off with a simple push or pull of the extension bar.Before I had to constantlly pushing it to stay put until it touched the ground and then it was automatically retracted when I lifted the bike. Sure there was no danger of riding with the side stand on (though one day it didin't retract back to it's place as I lifted the bike but to the half distance and as I pulled my bike back to take it off the garage it got caught on a little stone bench as a result bike fall down and there was a broken foot brake lever and mirror rubber cuts) , there also was a danger if the bike was lifted or moved in case forgoten to be put back in , the bike would fall.

That's why I descided to go semi-automatic way (push or pull to auto retact)

and have the below golden rule as a server of sidestand security.

Well in any way the golden rule when riding a bike(concerning this side stand) IS : Always remember & take care of the stand before you start and when you stop, no electrical wirings and switches or automatations can substitute this , so always remember this golden rule until it becomes second skin. :2c: I try so myself everyday ;)

Well in any way the golden rule when riding a bike(concerning this side stand) IS : Always remember & take care of the stand before you start and when you stop, no electrical wirings and switches or automatations can substitute this , so always remember this golden rule until it becomes second skin.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Amen to this! If you swing a leg over , kick up the stand EVERY TIME.

The clutch switch will prevent starting and the side stand switch will prevent running.

Pulling the tank and cleaning/ dielectric greasing all the connectors is good V11 medicine! :thumbsup: