V11 Quota

docc

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think those new Aprilias are cool- apparently there will be a 550cc version too.

Too expensive though- I reckon big discounts will be on the horizon as soon as it is apparent nobody is willing to stump up that amount of cash.

It is also possible they will shoehorn the new V twin engine into the old RS250 frame.

Guy :helmet:

Are the KLR and XL and such capable of 100,000 miles with similar service as V11s?

61954[/snapback]

No, a single will never last that long. With proper maintenance, a KLR is probably good for 60K though, and then all you have to do is replace rings and give it a valve job. So- not too bad. Perfect trail and commute bike for your neck of the woods, David.

The new Aprilia compact twin in a pegaso size package would be a hot set-up! Sure to be pricey, though.

The BMW 650GS makes 50hp and has roughly the same power to weight ratio as the V11 Quota.

Still, for chasing a line of liter bikes past slow moving traffic on windy roads all day long, the little dual-sports seem a bit underpowered.

Ah, looking for the elusive perfect bike . . .

Just when I thought I had all the motorcycles I need...

There is a new Triumph Scrambler coming soon, very cool indeed. Vintage Steve McQueen/Six Day type of thing based on the Truxton. I want it BAD. :grin: Black waxed cotton riding suit, white helmet and I am gone.

Perhaps some one smarter than myself can post a picture ( don't everyone raise their hand at once ).

Docc, ADVRIDER.COM is the mega site for this kind of thing in general. If you are planning to run away from home touratech-usa.com has got the stuff.

Perhaps some one smarter than myself can post a picture.

62970[/snapback]

Thanks, I need the opportunity.

Jaap's doing a clearout and I'm afraid he might not know where to stop.

So this is it

640x480_FFFFFF_CMSFullSize4951005.jpg

As you like it, click here to get a big one.

I'm afraid I don't realy like it.

What about a Trabant, same idea

24.jpg

or be loyal

20.jpg

Guest 2wheelin2dn
I doubt this old retro archaism can carry the "reliable" description.

Furthermore, it's heavy, slow, like 21bhp slow, and will rattle your teeth out - if the engine vibration doesn't get you, the hard (read non-existent) suspension and knobbly tires will.

Add to that the cranky gearbox with right hand shift, and you are in for an interesting time off road. Overpriced as well.

Call the undertaker.

61964[/snapback]

i rode a bullet 500 all of this past summer on the roads in northern india. you think you guys have been 'off the beaten path' try that! i personally had no problems with the enfield, other than one flat tire. granted, they have been known to have crap gear boxes, mine was fine. the 'knobbly tires' are something you'd want off the beaten path i'd think, and yea, they're slow, but fast enough to keep a good pace on a dirt road. i'm a young'n, so a suspension that's not exactly 'plush' didn't bother me. call them overpriced, but if you had one you'd be one of the few.

Nice Quota, Gooz :mg:

Mine was red, had the ECU replaced, got 50mpg and I rode it through, California, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho,Alberta and BC. The only thing I didnt like about it was the old gearbox. I'd buy another one at the right price in a minute. It never let me down and I rode backroads alone in Montana with it.

Crashed it on a diesel spill on tarmac and the only thing that broke was the left spark plug lead. The handlebars are real off road bars because they didnt even bend and saved the bike from a lot of damage. Heavy? Yes, but not a problem on logging roads. I've got a KLX400 now which is great for the tough single track slimey crud.

I've owned 2 KLR650s in the past and for the money, they're good bikes. They're let down by thier antique suspension but a new rear shock and spring, fork brace and progressive springs help a lot. Especially the rear shock and spring, make a huge improvement. I'm looking for a DR650 now as they have way better suspension, especially the forks. The only thing you have to do to the rear is buy an Eaibach rear spring, the shock is good.

Dual Sporting is a hoot. Get on good terrain and the only limits are your own. No cops, traffic,pedestrians or lane markings :bier:

Here's an example. I took some pics of buddys when we rode the dunes in Oregon last Feb.

http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/sh...&cat=535&page=3

How not to do a jump :P:P:P

He had a big get off upon landing but no injuries to him or the bike.

http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/sh...&cat=535&page=3

I have a soft spot for the old Yamaha XT600- I hired one 5 years ago and rode it from Darwin to Melbourne- tough, reliable, small enough to ride on the rough stuff but big enough to do the distance.

Here's a few pics I took.

Well, I have a soft spot for an old Honda XL250. I had some fabtastic camping trips on it. It took me through the Scottish highlands and islands, the English Lake District and the Welsh mountains – sometimes two-up and always with camping gear.

I relate that, because it gave tremendous times even though it was only an old seventies 250 single. So when it comes to the Guzzi 1100 twin, why shouldn't such a machine be 200% capable of giving great times too? Comparing it to Japanese sports machines may cause disappointment. It may even seem like a 'has-been' compared to a new Breva or Griso. Dwelling on oil leaks and suspension settings, fretting over tyre treads, gnashing teeth on crashing gearboxs: all valid and 'interesting' things to do, but thankfully they're not ultimately the measure of 'the great motorbike experience'.

B)

• 4 weeks later...