Best Cafe Fairing for '04 V11 Naked?

Guest Ray R

Folks,

I just purchased a new '04 V11 Sport Naked, and am looking for a cafe type fairing. Perhaps something with a R90S/R100S look, but I'm open to suggestions. Build quality and fit/finish are most important to me. Color match (red), and ease of installation are also key. What do you recommend? And yes, I did a search first, but didn't see anything that jumped out as "best". The reason I'm looking is primarily for wind protection (shoulders-down). Thanks for the help!

I also have an '04 Naked, and have been looking at the same question: what is the best way to go on a fairing? I agree with your choice of the R90s fairing, it looks fantastic on the V11, as evidenced by the 'how to' section. The problem is finding one. Airtech makes a copy for about 350 dollars, which, not by chance I guess, is about what an original goes for on eBay lately. There was a copy pulled of an original R90s fairing that sold this morning on eBay for about 90 dollars, no screen, no dash panel, finished in grey primer. (looked nice) Check Omar's vintage cafe fairing as well. it looks a little long to my eye, but is made for a large light. An original R90s fairing, never repaired with smooth paint would be the best possible start to the project, but the line forms behind 100 BMW enthusiasts...

I am interested in any info anyone has on color match for the red that Naked and Ballabio models often wear, as getting the fairing is only the first half of the job.

Try the motomecca website they have a couple of fairings for v11,s but no red ones.

Gary :mg:

61828[/snapback]

I'm new here. "Motomecca"?

Check out the picture in my members box. That is a Givi a755. a bit bigger that the small stock one, the ones you see on Motomechanica site. I got it specifically to get the wind off of my chest during high speed touring, and it has worked well.

Ciao, Steve G.

$350??? You can get a brand new, BMW stock, S fairing for less than 300.

46 63 1 233 732, S fairing shell (with dashboard), $285

I got one from bobsbmw.com (no affiliation- that's just where I happened to find one).

Look in their downloadable airhead parts catalog.

I personally think the Omar's fairings are really cool looking as well, but they won't give as much protection. I think Dave Washburn put one on his bike.

The S fairing gives good protection from about the shoulders down. The tradeoff is that below ~70 mph, there's too much weight on my hands (even after adding bars). One other benefit to the S fairing is that I don't get any water in my dash. Never. So I don't worry too much about the recurring problems of corrosion and shorting that some people see.

Check out the picture in my members box. That is a Givi a755. a bit bigger that the small stock one, the ones you see on Motomechanica site. I got it specifically to get the wind off of my chest during high speed touring, and it has worked well.

Ciao, Steve G.

61864[/snapback]

I've seen Steves bike and it looks very good!

Hey Steve,

The Givi does look good. Did the universal mount install ok? Did you have to modify anything, or was it a simple bolt-on? Any trimming? Is it sturdy? Do you have any photos of the mounting hardware/process that you can post? Any close-ups? Thanks for the help!

Hey Steve,

The Givi does look good.  Did the universal mount install ok? Did you have to modify anything, or was it a simple bolt-on? Any trimming?  Is it sturdy?  Do you have any photos of the mounting hardware/process that you can post? Any close-ups? Thanks for the help!

61927[/snapback]

Hi Ray,

The hardware is all polished stainless [i'm a pushover when it comes to stainless], and simply slides in between the headlight shell and headlight bolt washer. It takes 5 minutes to install or remove, and does not get loose when the bike is used. It's a perfect radius for the standard fitment Bosch headlight bucket/bezel, and as for sturdyness, it has no cracks or mishapes.

Two negatives: 1, if your bike is flash green like mine, you will have to paint it, and 2, it comes with a tacky "Givi" sticker you will have to remove, well not have to, but will want to.

It cost me $129 cdn at my local dealer, but have seen one hanging off the wall at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, Washington for $79us. I'm pretty sure Moto International have one in stock as well. The paint cost me $200cdn, and consider it a bargain, as this green is very complex in it's application steps.

I'd love to send you pictures, but I don't have a digital camera. The one picture I got was sent to me by a buddy that he took whilst riding in Montana. I never could figure out how to move it into the other picture collections. I'm not much of a "teckie".

I know that Ryan [MotoGoozer] has the same fairing on his V11, and looks great in midnight black. And I'm pretty sure he has a digital camera. If he sees this thread I think he would send some.

Ciao, Steve G.

Folks,

I just purchased a new '04 V11 Sport Naked, and am looking for a cafe type fairing.  Perhaps something with a R90S/R100S look, but I'm open to suggestions.  Build quality and fit/finish are most important to me. Color match (red), and ease of installation are also key.  What do you recommend?  And yes, I did a search first, but didn't see anything that jumped out as "best".  The reason I'm looking is primarily for wind protection (shoulders-down).  Thanks for the help!

61824[/snapback]

how about the universal cafe fairing lockhart phillips racing offers its only 50 bux someone here has one on their bike and it looks nice.

I would go for the original carbon fairing. Its small, but it works (I'm 188 cms "low", and above 80 km/h the screen makes a big difference, and very little turbulence), it suits the bike, and dont change it into a semi-Beemer (sorry, lads. the R90-style fairing is WAY to retro looking), and it is light and easy to put on.

If one wants LeMans style fairing, one should buy a LeMans.

The V11 is and should be; NEKKID! :-)

I do have the same Givi fairing that Steve has - does work very well. I can stick my head out in the wind or hunker down out of it.

Unfortunately my digital camera fell into a gravity well recently... There's a shot of my bike in the gallery, and another if you go to my member info area. Neither is particularly good tho'.

It came in flat black plastic - cheap to match my gloss black paint. Great product, easy to install, looks great, all stainless and rubber fasteners, adjustable angle, I have no issues with it.

cheers,

Rj

Ciao, Steve G.

61864[/snapback]

Steve, is your fairing the givi a755 or the a750?