How to highside

dmoon64

Had to take the gas tank off friday night to fix an intermittent starting problem. Got that done and put everything back together or so I thought.

At a stop sign the bike starts sputtering as I turn right. Rear tire spins under acceleration slides to my left then catches and highsides me to my left. I must have put my left leg down to catch it because my knee is hurting and I can't put any weight on it. Bike ended up on it's left side with a broken front left turn signal, bent clutch lever, bent and busted case guard, scratched front , and rear cowl, and scratch on muffler.

Once I got it up there was gas all over the right side under the fuel pump. Apparently the inboard (white fitting) fuel line didn't get seated correctly. I felt it click but I didn't check it. Gas had spurted out onto tire and under acceleration the tire broke loose. There was a nice puddle of gas and a black streak from the puddle to the place where the bike spit me off.

A very expensive lesson. Just felt like shaing my experience. Can plastic scratches be fixed?

Had a similar experience with escaping fuel. I failed to double check the fuel quick disconnects were properly seated after doing my initial go-through on the new-to-me LM. I realized my error when my right jeans pant leg got real cool as I was allowing the bike to warm briefly prior to doing a check out ride. No harm done except to my wrenching skills confidence and some spilled gas.

Now, anytime I re-connect those fuel fittings they get double checked.

Had a similar experience with escaping fuel.  I failed to double check the fuel quick disconnects

61984[/snapback]

do all later bikes come with quick disconnect fittings, or did you put them in?