Wife hates Rosso! Alternative?

Ralph Werner

My bride of 44 years has been a passenger on our Rosso twice - one trip of over 300 miles. She really doesn't want to ride on this bike anymore so I am considering a second mount for two-up riding. I think that Wildguzzi has covered this topic but it is not available right now. :(

My two choices are a Harley Road King or a California EV Touring. We have owned and ridden HDs but have never been on a Cali V11. The asking prices for used Harleys are absurd. The only EV Touring that I could find is a '98 that the owner refused a $5500 offer for(which also seems absurd). :glare:

Do any of you have any experience or comments in this area? (I'd rather not go the BMW route).

Ralph

I had the same issue when I owned my Sport Corsa- my girlfriend was not confident riding abroad so I bought a Cali Jackal and kitted it out with a comfy seat, screen, hard luggage, extra brake disc, centrestand and crashbars.

This still made it much cheaper than a new Cali EV and it was not covered in plastic chrome like the EV.

It made a great two up tourer but became redundant when Helen started to ride her own bike abroad so I sold it to my parents.

Even though I have bought a HD I would recommend the Cali as a better tourer- lighter, more dynamic, faster, cheaper and better handling. You will end up doing the same A to B times as on your Rosso Corsa.

Guy :helmet:

One sits in my garage now.  One of the best seats there is but passenger sits up in the breeze a bit.

62220[/snapback]

That is one of the reasons I did not purchase the Futura. The wind protection was terrible and the wind blast would hit my helmet head on. Had to wear earplugs and it was still loud. I gave my wife a ride on it and she did not like it at all. The passenger sits like 4 inches higher, just too much wind.

Mike

My bride of 44 years has been a passenger on our Rosso twice - one trip of over 300 miles. She really doesn't want to ride on this bike anymore so I am considering a second mount for two-up riding. I think that Wildguzzi has covered this topic but it is not available right now. :(

My two choices are a Harley Road King or a California EV Touring. We have owned and ridden HDs but have never been on a Cali V11. The asking prices for used Harleys are absurd. The only EV Touring that I could find is a '98 that the owner refused a $5500 offer for(which also seems absurd). :glare:

Do any of you have any experience or comments in this area? (I'd rather not go the BMW route).

62208[/snapback]

I guess I am fortunate that my wife does OK on the back of my Rosso. We have done 600 miles days riding two up fully loaded. She is only 5'3" tall, so maybe her size has something to do with it. I know when the temperture is low, she has a harder time with her knees locking up. I have to pry her off when we stop for fuel. :grin:

Mike

That is one of the reasons I did not purchase the Futura.  The wind protection was terrible and the wind blast would hit my helmet head on.  Had to wear earplugs and it was still loud.  I gave my wife a ride on it and she did not like it at all.  The passenger sits like 4 inches higher, just too much wind.

Mike

62221[/snapback]

Fortunately I'm short so the bike fits me well except for having to tip toe at stop lights. And my wife? Can't get her near any bike much less the Futura. You guys that have riding wives are fortunate (mostly) :) .

The most recent issue of "CycleWorld" or "Motorcyclist" (I've forgotten which, since its the most recent issue, but thats another story) has a comparo of sport-touring bikes (8 or 9 of 'em), including, but not limited to :nerd: Honda VFR 800, Yamaha FJR 1300, Honda ST 1300, Hyabusa (WTF), Aprilia Futura, Triumph Sprint ST and a BMW (K1200R ?).

I recall that the Yamaha FJR 1300 got the nod. But it may be of greater interest to you that included in the test article was a sidebar review from a female passenger's perspective. But Ive forgotten what she had to say so you'll have to read the article yerself!

Motorcycle Consumer News (October 2005) compared the Ducati ST3, Honda VFR 800, Triumph Sprint ST and the BMW R1200ST....and ranked them thusly: Honda, Ducati, BMW and last was the Triumph.

:2c: If I wanted to do the two-up sport-touring thing, I would strongly consider the Honda ST1300.

But when alls said and done, the MG posted by Orangeokie sure looked nice :!:

with gentle force get wife to learn to ride, then buy her something interesting. in red, which makes a lot of noise. I did...:-) (Laverda 668, it stands beside her bed now)

I got my V11 for myself.

62208[/snapback]

HELLOW RALPH. MY BRIDE OF 30 YEARS HAS JUST BECOME INTERESTED IN BEING PART OF MY M/CYCLING LIFE,HAS BEEN DOING A FEW RIDES [sHORT] WITH ME, ON MUZ. BUT A FRIENDS LADY IS NOW MORE THAN HAPPY ON THE BACK OF HIS TITEANIUM AFTER A COUPLE OF TRYED MOUNTS. CALI IS THE GO.. CIAO. GAZZA

62208[/snapback]

Kawasaki 1500 nomad fi, what a road king should be and mucho cheaper. I have a 2000,and I guarantee you ,your honey wont complain about the accomodations. you should be able to pick up a nice one for 6000-7000. Its as dependable as an iron skillett,and a nice looking bike IMHO. :D