looking for more effective head guards

bigbikerrick

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive read that the stock head guards on my 2002 v 11 wont protect very well if I drop the bike. anyone know where I can find larger,or better designed head guards at a decent price in the USA? thanks! :mg:

63009[/snapback]

You could use the Rossopuro mushrooms as I do- but would need to buy them from Italy. Click on the Rossopuro link above for info.

Guy :helmet:

You could use the Rossopuro mushrooms as I do- but would need to buy them from Italy. Click on the Rossopuro link above for info.

Guy :helmet:

63015[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply, Ive seen the rosso puro mushrooms, they seem to offer good protection, but I would prefer something that I could find in the USA, if possible. also they are kind of pricey, are they not? :helmet:

Thanks for the reply, Ive seen the rosso puro mushrooms, they seem to offer good protection, but I would prefer something that I could find in the USA, if possible. also they are kind of pricey, are they not?  :helmet:

63018[/snapback]

196 Euros including UPS shipping. Yes they are a bit pricey but maybe cheaper in the long run if you drop your bike.

Email Paulo at RP if you are interested- he speaks good English.

Regards

Guy

196 Euros including UPS shipping. Yes they are a bit pricey but maybe cheaper in the long run if you drop your bike.

Email Paulo at RP if you are interested- he speaks good English.

Regards

Guy

63033[/snapback]

Yeah, no kidding. I dropped my Sport 1100i and without the protectors, it cost about $3000 to repair (new head etc.). With a protector, about the worst you get for mild mistakes is a broken spark plug and some scratches. Been there, done that (too often) and have no desire to "test" head protectors again but have to admit that they do a fine job.

Ed Milich at www.guzzitech.com sells some oversized head protectors that still look good. I have them on my bike, so if you are at Euro Moto Fest - West (San Diego Guzzi rally) next week, you can see them in person. If not, you can see them quite clearly at the web site above. Just click on the "CNC billet .." button and navigate from there.

Regards,

-ken

Factory head guards do work in a lower speed drop. I hit some gravel on mine & went down @ around 20/25mph. It destroyed the head guard & mangled the spark plug but that was generally it. I did have my tekno bags on at the time & the bag absorbed a lot of the force too though. I picked the bike up, looked it over & rode it 80 miles back home, no problem. BTW always wear a helmet & protective gear! I wacked my head on the pavement when I hit & I thought I was a dead man, then I realized that was the helmet that made that sickeningly loud sound & not my skull. Also my Dainese th1 leather jacket took a good beating too. I wear it with pride now lol its well broken in. If I wouldnt have been wearing that jacket I shudder to think of the road rash on my back & shoulder/arm. Spend the money on good head guards & you'll feel better when you ride.

FWIW my factory guards completely saved my cylinder head fins at about 50MPH.

I think I got lucky with just a bent sparkplug and scraped ignition wire that were driveable.

(My shoulder took most of the impact :homer: )

I trust the Joe Kenny guards much more than the OEM factory guards.

But I was thinking of adding something like a Powell Peralta Nosebone

powell%20nose%20red%20b.JPG

Or just a strip of plastic to absorb some of the impact and protect the expensive guards.

Something just a little prettier than a mushroom...

Guest klincke@gil.com.au
Ive read that the stock head guards on my 2002 v 11 wont protect very well if I drop the bike. anyone know where I can find larger,or better designed head guards at a decent price in the USA? thanks! :mg:

63009[/snapback]

For what it is worth I dropped my 02 V11 sport right hand down and the OEM guard did it's job well. However I was onley travelling approximately 40Kph.

Thanks for the link, those joe kenny guards sure are pretty! are they larger than stock as in they stick out more, or are they the same size as stock, but just stronger?

63165[/snapback]

They do stick out a little more, enough to perhaps save the the plug cap. Of course he has several models and some stick out further than others.