looking for more effective head guards

bigbikerrick

I put a set of crashbars on my bike.  See here for a picture.  I don't want to hotlink a picture from Agostini, because their pages are kind of slow sometimes.

J

63197[/snapback]

Yes I had a similar set as standard fitment on my S3...Actually, I rather think I still have them.

It always concerned me that if they were used in anger, they might well trash the frame? :unsure:

Still I suppose it is cheaper than a trashed engine.

Actually having looked closer at those mountings, they look more benign and sacrificial than the very solid double bolt mount on the S3! :blush:

Nige. :huh:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes I had a similar set as standard fitment on my S3...Actually, I rather think I still have them.

It always concerned me that if they were used in anger, they might well trash the frame?  :unsure:

Still I suppose it is cheaper than a trashed engine.

Nige.  :huh:

63228[/snapback]

I had similar bars on my Jackal- and when I dropped it there was barely a scuff on the crashbars- no damage to the frame at all just a broken screen.

A couple of years ago I was riding down the Bwlch Y Groes pass near Bala with a BMW1150GS Adventure in front of me.

An idiot in a people carrier came charging up the hill (single track road) and did not even try and slow down for us- result he knocked the guy off the BMW.

The car driver was an arrogant git and did not stop- when we caught up with him he had a 6 foot gouge in the side of his car with the bodywork caved in. The BMW? A slight scratch on the crashbar where it had gouged the side of the car!

Justice done.

Guy :helmet:

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW my factory guards completely saved my cylinder head fins at about 50MPH.

I think I got lucky with just a bent sparkplug and scraped ignition wire that were driveable.

(My shoulder took most of the impact :homer: )

I trust the Joe Kenny guards much more than the OEM factory guards.

But I was thinking of adding something like a Powell Peralta Nosebone

powell%20nose%20red%20b.JPG

Or just a strip of plastic to absorb some of the impact and protect the expensive guards.

Something just a little prettier than a mushroom...

63158[/snapback]

are the joe kenny guards any bigger than stock,as in do they stick out more, or are they just sturdier? Thanks, :mg:

My Joe Kenney guards stick out 3mm more than the stock. These are the most compact models. I believe he does make some that are skeletized and stick out more.

I didn't want the air resistance shaving off those 10ths on the top end. :rolleyes:

IMHO go to Harpers and look at the head guards. You can paint 'em or have them chrome. They don't stick out beyond the OEM. They don't look ugly (see above :blush: ). They work. I low sided my le mans, scraping over asphalt and then tumbling down 100' of cliff. Cylinders look good. Head guard on left side toast. It works. :D

IMHO go to Harpers and look at the head guards.  You can paint 'em or have them chrome.  They don't stick out beyond the OEM.  They don't look ugly (see above  :blush: ).  They work.  I low sided my le mans, scraping over asphalt and then tumbling down 100' of cliff.  Cylinders look good.  Head guard on left side toast.  It works. :D

64969[/snapback]

I will take a look, I thought if they stuck out a little more = better protection in a tip over

No matter what head guard you have, they are only good for slow speed crashes. Yes, installing one that sticks out more will save more on a slow speed drop. I had seen a V11 Sport in May at the Prescott Rally that went down when the throttle stuck (30-40 mph fall). The damage the head protector did was just as much as if you had the stock one on. Either way you will be looking at replacing the cylinder head. The tiny 6mm bolts that hold the guard and the valve covers on are just to small to and the threads will pull out or the bolts will snap. :bbblll:

Mike

Ive read that the stock head guards on my 2002 v 11 wont protect very well if I drop the bike. anyone know where I can find larger,or better designed head guards at a decent price in the USA? thanks! :mg:

63009[/snapback]

FWIW my factory guards completely saved my cylinder head fins at about 50MPH.

I think I got lucky with just a bent sparkplug and scraped ignition wire that were driveable.

(My shoulder took most of the impact :homer: )

I trust the Joe Kenny guards much more than the OEM factory guards.

But I was thinking of adding something like a Powell Peralta Nosebone

powell%20nose%20red%20b.JPG

Or just a strip of plastic to absorb some of the impact and protect the expensive guards.

Something just a little prettier than a mushroom...

63158[/snapback]

Where does this mount and who sells them?

Mike

Where does this mount and who sells them?

Mike

65044[/snapback]

If you mean the red plastic thing, that is just an idea.

It is meant to protect the front of a skateboard and could be purchased from a skateboard shop.

It may just get crushed so fast it won't make a difference...or at low speeds it may save the pricey blillet guards..

I was thinking it could be bent to conform with my Joe Kenny headguard, with the screw holes under the guard, possibly glued on.

I think the material is polyurethane.

A better solution would be to find a strip of PVC, ABS, or polyurethane attach it under the billet aluminum head guard.

It is meant to protect the front of a skateboard and could be purchased from a skateboard shop.

It may just get crushed so fast it won't make a difference...or at low speeds it may save the pricey blillet guards..

I was thinking it could be bent to conform with my Joe Kenny headguard, with the screw holes under the guard, possibly glued on.

A better solution would be to find a strip of PVC, ABS, or polyurethane attach it under the billet aluminum head guard.

65049[/snapback]

Small fixed PU sliders will be worn through in a trice with the small area loaded up by the weight of a sliding bike. The Rossopuro mushroom and other crash bobbins can roll so they don't wear down as fast.

Having said that, I would be worried that the leverage imposed by the long Rossopuro mushroom or any longer head guard would shear or strip the teeny weeny valve cover bolts.

65049[/snapback]

I guess then the best protection is the big nasty "crash bars" like on a cruiser! LOL.:blush:

I guess then the best protection is the big nasty "crash bars" like on a cruiser! LOL.:blush:

65086[/snapback]

:P There are interesting discussions of "crash bars" turning low sides into high sides. :doh:

Those mushroom rollers are probably the best idea...just a little to "trick" for my taste, but if I was going to do a track day, to hell with vanity.

I was thinkin' some skateboard bearings bolted under the Joe K.'s could resist abrasion, if they could take the impact...add skateboard wheels and you have impact resistance.

Perhaps an inline skate wheel cut down to a small diameter???

There is no perfect solution for everybody.

There is no perfect solution for everybody.

65145[/snapback]

What about not crashing in the first place? Seems pretty much perfect to me...

:D

What about not crashing in the first place? Seems pretty much perfect to me...

:D

65210[/snapback]

Well, there are only two kinds of motorbike: Those that have been dropped, and those that will be dropped in the future..........

I'll have to remember that! :bier:

1. don't go to fast

2. don't do anything stupid

3. when sh^t happens, and it will, do the right thing

4. I think the most important thing about not crashing is will power...a no fear attitude helps.

5. I suppose $1000 mufflers, $500 clip-ons and gold plated valve covers (Bling!) with no crash guards, wearing only flip-flops, speedo, and wife-beater shirt, could be a good incentive not to crash :D