Workshop Stand?

Ballacraine

Is there a reason that the MG lift uses the frame where the centerstand would go?

I have been using a standard (non-spindle) pitbull stand (just like you would use for a monster or SS). I just remove the plastic caps off of the end of the swingarm. Once I set the stand to it's widest setting, I lift the rear right below the axle. I have assumed that that area near the axle must be strong enough to support the bike while the tire is off because the axle supports the bike while riding.

Am I missing something here???

Sounds good to me! :bier:

EDIT

I suppose it is limite in that you can't change the rear shock and a few other things.

If you put it under the pork chops, I suppose lifting the front would be easier

on-bike-flash.jpg

article on pitbull stand http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-paddock-stand/

Home-made.

Like Nige said, Nice Job!

I just use a motorcycle / garden tractor jack from sears. I made a block to slide under the sump and avoid the crosover and, jack it up and strap it on. Works well enough and for long term stuff you can still roll it around and get it out of the way.

I use the centerstand I have permanantly fitted to the bike. I also have a Pit Bull, but I haven't used it since I installed a centerstand.

Greg if you've posted this before please post the link, otherwise more details please (Holy grail for a V11?) :rolleyes:

Guest Mattress

I use the centerstand I have permanantly fitted to the bike. I also have a Pit Bull, but I haven't used it since I installed a centerstand.

Greg, can you tell if the MG workshop stand will still fit and lift if you have the TLM centerstand?

I was going to order both with out thinking.

Guest Barnapkin

I guess that I never thought of using my fork stand for the rear.

Although, I just used both the front and rear stand to remove the F and R wheels.

Put a set of pilot powers on, and the wife is going to break them in this weekend.

Spring has finally come to Michigan. :bier:

Guest ratchethack

FWIW, here's a shot of a slightly modified Guzzi stand. The angle of the lever has been increased to clear the left can so it can be used in lever-forward or lever-aft modes. The caster wheel has been an incredibly useful improvement, allowing me to wheel the bike around with back wheel off. I used this stand to get the trans out and back in, and can't imagine how I'd need more than this for just about anything, though lifting the bike of course makes many kinds of operations lots more comfortable. I use a home-built ramp and stand to raise the bike 12" when doing oil changes and other things. :thumbsup:

NOTE: Despite the apparent angle in the photo, the ability of the stand to "over center" and resist flipping back over :o was NOT functionally compromised by the addition of the caster. Yes, this was well tested beforehand, and is NOT a problem. :sun:

NOTE (Part II): There have been several posts here and elsewhere of Guzzi's falling off raised stands. :o One trade-off consideration of not having the convenience of a raised stand is that keeping a 530 lb. bike closer to the ground is generally more stable, less risky, and provides less distance for the Guzzi to drop to terra firma (usually on a concrete floor) should the unthinkable occur. :whistle: I've used a safety harness to support from above as a fail-safe insurance measure without actually testing it's ability to avert horrific disaster, but I'm certain that if/when called upon, it would serve well. :P

post-1212-1177769891_thumb.jpg

I had my bike tip off the MG stand a while back but luckily I caught it before it hit the ground. My stand seemed very unstable so I decided to take it apart to see what the problem was. What I found was that there's a sleeve inside the handle joint and mine had slipped or come loose so it was only extending about 1" into the removeable side of handle but about 7" into the fixed side. This caused the handle to bend quite a bit at the joint. I removed the sleeve from the fixed side and drove it into the removable side with a hammer so it was even on both sides which also straightened the bend. Now the stand is plenty stable :)

So the main weight is taken by the rear ( centre) stand coming off the swingaing arm mounts?

Nige. :unsure:

Nige, I just done loadsa work on rosso by using my rear paddock stand then using my little jack under front of sump to lift front wheel off ground I put blocks of wood under edges of sump,after I lowered bike ont o them I found I could safely remove the paddock stand to remove the swing arm et. ps this was all on my hydraulic bench and it was pretty steady although I did for safety add a ratchet tie down around the headstock......this cost me ZILCH :)

Just off to put heads back on it.....4new valves...sigh

Sounds like a fair solution.

Hope your repair work is progressing OK, Andy. :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

Nige i stil need a ferry ticket.......can you help? like to get 7-10 days in island...

Nige i stil need a ferry ticket.......can you help? like to get 7-10 days in island...

Hhhmmm,

Not really....

All I can suggest is have a look on their website & see what is still available...

www.steam-packet.com

If you are thinking TT I would say chances are slim to non-existant now.

There is always the Southern100 in July and the Manx GP in August though. ;)

Nige. B)