Workshop Stand?

Ballacraine

I have been looking into suitable methods of getting the bike wheels off the deck for more serious garage work.

I have a paralellogram collapsible stand made from American Grade Scaffolding Tube from my Harley Interlude :rolleyes:

I now have a luvverly crossover which takes up a lot less space underneath the tranny but looking at the way this spine frame is configured, am I OK to shove the lift under the sump???? :o:huh2:

I don't feel confident I should be doing that. :doh:

How do youse guys do it then?

Nige. :huh:

I use Abba stands front and back- can easily get both wheels off the floor and it is dead stable.

Cheap too.

Guy  :helmet:

63066[/snapback]

Seriously?.

A set of Pitbull stands, swingarm and fork tree lift. Allows for removal of wheels, fork tubes - major portions of your wallet... (this project is in hiatus - don't ask).

V11project.03.gif

Dunwell Jacks: Scroll down to Moto Guzzi Brackets.

For the V11 Sport, this one will allow you to pull the porkchops without disassembling the bike

V11SportStand.gif

Another Dunwell, this time for a California.

CaliforniaStand.gif

Thanks for the pics there Carl.

The set up in the second pic looks favourite.

Where is the load actually being taken?

Is it able to lift both wheels simultaneously?

It doesn't look like they have a local distributor to me, but once I can see how? ;)

Thanks for the info!

Nige. B)

Guest 2wheelin2dn

i've used Pitbull stands on all of my bikes and they work great, although, as stated above, they're a bit pricey. just be careful with front stands that rest on the ends of the front forks. my bike has slipped off of them more than once!

:thumbsup:

i've used Pitbull stands on all of my bikes and they work great, although, as stated above, they're a bit pricey.  just be careful with front stands that rest on the ends of the front forks.  my bike has slipped off of them more than once!

:thumbsup:

63076[/snapback]

Pitbull has two kinds of front stands. The one I have (the original), uses a pin that inserts into the bottom of the triple tree/yoke. It has fit every Guzzi I've owned. It has to be used in conjuction with a rear stand.

The Dunwell adaptors place the load at the bolt through the bottom of the porkchops (inside of the frame for the V11 Sport - outside for a Sport 1100i) and under the front of the sump. I can lift the entire bike about 14" off of the ground. The adaptor for the California fits under the centerstand mount bolt and puts the load on the centerstand mount bolt and the front of the pan. I should point out that the V11 Sport adaptor is not as firm as you would like since the two vertical support pieces are inserted into the stand after the jack is rolled under the bike (low clearance). If the bike is placed on a paddock stand first, it becomes really easy. The V11 Sport adaptor also does not have the nylon inserts that the California model does and so I've put a "saddle" of duct tape on the resting surfaces to avoid scraping the paint off. The vertical parts of the stand can be placed outside of the frame as well but since they're slightly loose, the bike can actually slip off on one side. Pretty unnerving. Used properly though, there isn't any issue. I think they're overpriced and when I posted these on the WildGuzzi forum a while back, I got blasted pretty bad by guys that know how to weld because they felt they adaptors were overpriced, you should build them yourself, etc, etc, yadda, yadda. I don't weld. These work. 'Nuff said. The Dunwells are useful but not for changing oil as the hydraulic stand is in the way of everything. That's where I use a centerstand or the Pitbulls.

Another detail of which I don't have a picture is a hoseclamp around the swingarm on each side with the screw on the bottom. One of these on each side just forward of the rear axle a few inches prevents the paddock stand from sliding up the swingarm. Mine are encased in black heat shrink so the swingarm paint doesn't take a hit. On the V11 Sport if fits underneath the plastic tail cover for the swingarm and is scarcely visible. Really nice to have too. Cheap has its merits as well.

Thanks for the additional info, Carl.

Thanks for all input, folks.

Any more variations?

None of this would really be an issue if they had done the decent thing and provided the option of a centrestand! :moon::bbblll:

Nige. :homer:

So the main weight is taken by the rear ( centre) stand coming off the swingaing arm mounts?

Nige.  :unsure:

63068[/snapback]

Yes the stand clamps onto the swinging arm pivot bolts- and the other stand slides under the sump and lifts the front.

To be honest, if I had a big enough garage I would get a proper Snap On hydraulic motorcyle lift but theres too many bloody bikes lying around taking up all the space.

Have used the Abba for years including my previous Guzzi- the main stand is about £100 and the front one somewhat cheaper- bought them both from Amadeo at Raceco.

I am sure there are better more expensive stands out there but the Abba works for me. One person operation- no need for any straps and stores away nicely in the corner.

Guy :helmet:

Just put it under the summp, that's what thew do in the factort. I've seen pictures to prove it, but caný find them.

(Typing when you just got home from the bar sucks...)

63117[/snapback]

Well, that would make life that much easier TBH

Yes, I can sympathise with that problem! :D

Thanks Jaap. :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

• 1 year later...
Guest Barnapkin

Is there a reason that the MG lift uses the frame where the centerstand would go?

I have been using a standard (non-spindle) pitbull stand (just like you would use for a monster or SS). I just remove the plastic caps off of the end of the swingarm. Once I set the stand to it's widest setting, I lift the rear right below the axle. I have assumed that that area near the axle must be strong enough to support the bike while the tire is off because the axle supports the bike while riding.

Am I missing something here???