External Oil Filter

Guest Nogbad

Anyone got an external oil filter conversion on their V11? I'm thinking of getting the spacer type. Or would I be better getting a deep V sump and junking the cooler?

If I keep the oil cooler, has anyone put a fan on it, and would that help if the bike is ridden in the city do you think?

I just hate the idea of the internal oil filter, especially after some reports of it coming loose. At least if an external one comes loose you notice it pretty fast.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People on here believe that the external oil filter is a great thing.

I don't like the idea of an external filter.

I do like the idea of it being inside.

Unlike on a car, the V.11 external filter has no protection. It's not a heavy metal construction, so it could get holed.

Unlike a car, it's not out of the wind. I definitely don't want that extra cooling.

In the very unlikely event of the filter coming loose, if it is internal no real harm done, I wouldn't have thought. :unsure:

Usually TBH you quite often get the opposite problem....Getting the b**tard thing off! :homer:

If it is external, as said before by BFG, it is exposed to damage and/or if it does come adrift, either way you have a big puddle on the floor! :blush:

As regards extra cooling...Well, an extra deep sump may be an option, with additional cooling area, but don't junk the cooler, or be tempted to slosh too much extra oil in. Accepted wisdom in the '80s used to be that it was better to run a little shy of full to prevent blowing it out of the breather as well as giving the old seals a hard time. :o I don't honestly know if that is still relevant though. I feel it might be. :unsure:

I don't like to be negative here, but if you are talking of commuting duties, I would be tempted to use a hack anyway....Save the pride and joy for pleasure only....and keep the hell out of cities? :grin:

To sum up really, I'm with Guy on this. Having been in contact with Guzzis for twenty five years that is the first time I have heard of any coming adrift.

Nige. B)

Hmm, if you dont like the look of the oil cooler maybe you could chrome it up a bit? Those v sumps are very expensive but hey its your money & your bike of course :D I always take the pan off to change the oil & filter myself, that way I know the filter is tight & the job is properly done. Its a pain in the :moon: to go through for an oil change :luigi: but time spent playing with the bike is good time to me. :mg::thumbsup:

I've never heard of a filter coming unscrewed. But really- on the V11, the oil filter is outside already. You're supposed to get hold of it through the 'manhole' :wacko: .

The outside filter sumps are really good for adding a bit of extra oil for better engine cooling, at the same time as lowering the sump level. For hot climates, I think it's a great idea. For cold climates, it's just that much more water to condense in your sump. Personally, I'd like to put a deep sump on my bike, but they are a bit more than I want to pay. Maybe someday.

In the very unlikely event of the filter coming loose, if it is internal no real harm done, I wouldn't have thought.  :unsure: 

Nige.  B)

63236[/snapback]

(Gurgle!) Errr. No. The oil delivery system goes like this,

Pick-up, oil pump, oil filter, pressure relief valve, delivery.

If the filter comes loose the oil just vents back into the sump, result? zero delivery or pressure at the bearings and rapid 'Dogga-Dogga' noise.

Have you seen the sytem on the Breva/Griso? The poxy filter now sits in a recess in the sump casting. Brilliant! So rather than like the V11 where the usual proccedure goes something like.

Manufacture 27mm key to undo stupid plate in sump after draining oil.

Use bucket type filter wrench to trty and undo filter.

Curse because filter wrench slips off filter.

Remove sump and use strap wrench to remove filter.

Clean mating surface for filter ad wash out sump.

Install new filter.

Replace sump and drain plug and fill with oil.

Collapse in frustarted heap and swear you're going to get something sensible.

With the Breva/Griso when the bucket wrench slips off the filter the only way to get the sod off will be to punch a screwdriver through it and wind it off. What a pox of an idea!!!!!

Pete

(Gurgle!)

The poxy filter now sits in a recess in the sump casting.

63263[/snapback]

What do you mean? Is the filter now mounted externally, but in a recessed area?

Right gotcha..it is sitting at the delivery end of system.....OK not good if it comes adrift then! :huh::blush:

Recent 'improvement.'......Well, progress ain't necessarily in a forward direction!

Nige. :homer:

Hey Nogbad: I've installed a fan on mine! It was easy and works well... I got the smallest fan from SPAL (http://www.spal-usa.com/) it's a 4" fan. I hooked it up to a thermal switch (attached to the exhaust) and a relay to the battery. It comes on at 156F and turns off at about 100F wether the bike is running or not. I installed it to the frame so it sucks air through the cooler... and cools the fuel pump and lines at the same time preventing vapour lock too!

Hey Nogbad: I've installed a fan on mine! It was easy and works well... I got the smallest fan from SPAL (http://www.spal-usa.com/) it's a 4" fan. I hooked it up to a thermal switch (attached to the exhaust) and a relay to the battery. It comes on at 156F and turns off at about 100F wether the bike is running or not. I installed it to the frame so it sucks air through the cooler... and cools the fuel pump and lines at the same time preventing vapour lock too!

63275[/snapback]

:nerd::thumbsup:

Right gotcha..it is sitting at the delivery end of  system.....OK not good if it comes adrift then!  :huh:  :blush:

Recent 'improvement.'......Well, progress ain't necessarily in a forward direction!

Nige.  :homer:

63270[/snapback]

Not a recent improvement, in fact it's the only way you can make an oil filter work successfully. You cant have the filter on the pick-up side, it would be too restrictive. Remember, there is no such thing as 'Suck', all the oil pump does is create a low pressure area, oil is pushed from the sump into the pump by crankcase pressure which is atmospheric and a bit, (due to the pumping action of the pistons and blow-by past the rings etc.). Any restriction on the intake side will encourage the oil pump to cavitate, if it does that it's pumping *nothing* to the bearings, and you don't want that as it tends to make the engine make funny noises.

Once the oil has passed through the pump it is being mechanicaly pressurised and it's flow is restricted by the small gaps in the bearings through which it can escape back to a lower pressure area, (The crankcase.), unless there is some sort of pressure regulator installed, (an oil pressure relief valve.) it is very easy for the pressure to become too high, bursting the filter and/or damaging bearings.

A few years ago I saw a pic on one of the other boards of a home-brewed 'Oil Filter Kit' a bloke had come up with for his 850T, (A model sold without a filter.) He'd cobbled up a filter system based on a spin on filter mount on the intake side. It made me cringe, but since he wasn't going to be selling it commercially and was obviously as pleased as punch with his efforts I wasn't willing to enter into a long and acrimonious debate about it. He did stop posting on uzzi boards shortly thereafter though and I've often wondered if the two things might of been related????

Pete