Memories of yoof

V11UK

I've still got my RD200DX in silver in my mums garage. I don't know if it would run, I'd imagine that the crank seals are all perished. I also robbed a few bolts off it for my XJ550.

Cracking little bike. Progressed to it after passing my test on a 100cc single. Though if I rode one now would think it wasn't.

Oi! we resemble that remark Jaap :P. I guess most of us are in our forties and can (just about) remember the 1970's when we started riding bikes. Aye, them were the days..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

Totally off topic, at the show yesterday was this rather nice Ducati:

Stafford16-10-05010a.jpg

a friend of mine had an RD 350 but it didn't do anything for me. I was too young to ride then so, my recollections might be different if I had been able to ride it.

now, another friend had a Honda 450 parallel twin of some model or another with some modified pipes. When he got out on the highway and opened 'er up...it sounded like a REAL motorbike :P: Very distinctive to. We knew it was him before he ever came into view :D

The RD350LC is, without a doubt, one of the most important motorcycles ever built. Regardless of whether you like stink-wheels or not it has to be admitted that they raised the Fun-Per-Unit-Of-Currency bar to previously unheard of levels. I even tried racing one back in the early '80's, with precisely ZERO success I might add :grin: .

If I could find one now that hadn't been bashed, crashed and thrashed to within an inch of it's life I'd snap it up in a trice!!!!!

Pete

I had a couple of Suzuki T20's - the original X-6 Hustler. What a blast. I raced one for a year and managed a 1st, a 2nd and a couple of 4ths. It was also fun racing harleys and stuff on the street. They never expected a little smoke generator to be so fast (up to 60 mph at least).

It was the first bike I ever had that would do stoppies.

I did my road test on my race bike - complete with noisy expansion chambers and no kickstarter. The examiner was a little confused with me having to bump start the bike.

Gladly joining this Old Fart thread.

I was bitten by the 2 stroke craze with a friend's purchase of a 69 Kawa H1, found myself on a new 73' 2 years later. Within 2 more years and 2 accidents later (not too serious, one from demon alcohol :bier: and the other from a pick up truck) she was ready for some serious mod's. Thomaselli clip-ons, Koni shocks, home made rear sets, sweet chambers and fresh paint I was ready to eat more Triumphs, HD's and Nortons. Just had to be V E R Y Smoooooooth.

Those Yammy's were another story all together! ;)

My first bike :wub: - New Suzuki GT125 27th June 1975. A pleasant enough machine that took me all over the place in all weathers. It didn't have the performance edge that Kawasaki's and Yamaha's offered but it was a good introduction to motorcycling.

1974_GT125L_blue_side_250.jpg