Replacement Fuel Line

DougInMA

I am in the process of replacing all of my fuel lines as they have started to show signs of aging. I have replaced the fuel line from the pump to the injectors with EFI rated fuel line and now I would like to replace the line from the petcock to the fuel pump. I have an early 2000 V11 that came with a braided stainless line with an I.D. of 7/16 of an inch. Does this line need to be EFI rated fuel line? What have others used as a replacement?

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

I am in the process of replacing all of my fuel lines as they have started to show signs of aging.  I have replaced the fuel line from the pump to the injectors with EFI rated fuel line and now I would like to replace the line from the petcock to the fuel pump.  I have an early 2000 V11 that came with a braided stainless line with an I.D. of 7/16 of an inch.  Does this line need to be EFI rated fuel line?  What have others used as a replacement?

Thanks for any advice.

Doug

63625[/snapback]

I've been thinking of doing this as well. The stainless braid seems like a good idea when you see the way one of my lines was routed from the factory, right up against the rear of the left cylinder. But then you look at those cheesy radiator hose clamps, and wonder how much pressure the fuel pump really is building up in the fuel system. Hmmm!

Ciao, Steve G.

the line from the petcock to the fuel pump. 

Doug

63625[/snapback]

There's no fuel pressure in this line. (well there's about 10" of gravity head pressure) so you don't need hi-pressure EFI line for this piece or from the fuel filter to the fuel pump.

Having said that, I can't believe that a foot or so of lesser fuel line is going to save you much over standard EFI line in terms of cost.

Heat shielding is another matter, but my 2000 V-11 sport has no braided fuel line on it.

I remade the tank to pump line on my 2000 Sport to route more clear of the cylinder and move the pmp slightly forward. For shielding I went to the local electronics supply for 5/8" zinc coated copper braid, cut this with aviation shears and used heat shrink the get a nice clean end.